Author Topic: 1980 Trans Am Trunk - Accident?  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Brian0473

1980 Trans Am Trunk - Accident?
« on: August 26, 2018, 11:45:36 AM »
My first post after taking delivery of a 1980 Trans Am.  I purchases the car sight unseen and paid a fair price (I think) for what appears to be the issues that need sorted out.

However, before I tear into it I want some help ensuring the car is a solid candidate for some love.  I purchased it because I thought it would not need any body work.  It has fairly recent driver quality paint and no obvious issues.

As I started poking around I am puzzled by the condition of the trunk.  Is this type of wrinkling of the metal normal?  Or is this evidence of a prior accident?

I am very willing to invest in the "fun stuff" (motor, interior, brakes, etc) but really don't want some kind of body work money pit.

Your help is very appreciated and I hope sometime soon I can start contributing!

Offline Brian0473

Re: 1980 Trans Am Trunk - Accident?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 11:47:43 AM »
And what she looks like sitting in the garage.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: 1980 Trans Am Trunk - Accident?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 12:55:36 AM »
Welcome, she certainly looks to be very neat elsewhere.

Quite an unusual area to have damage. Like others have said, pull the tank and look for damage or repairs under the rear end. The tank may show damage or have been replaced. Look around the rear fenders, down below where the exhaust splitter tips exit, around the trunk drop-off area and inside the trunk walls for any ripples or fender repairs. Hard to say if it has been driven off or over something that has forced the tank upwards or even if it has been brought down on a hoist with something under the car they forgot. Marks on the underside will tell more perhaps.

If confined to that area only then a bonus. You can get new and used trunk floor sections now too, should it be too hard and too much work to knock into shape, may be easier to replace that section, the rest of the floor may also be bowed upwards slightly. Even look around the roof and window areas for signs of ripples or repairs as these cars flex easily and that's been quite a bump, moreso the T-top cars that flex and buckle just from driving. Do you know how recent the paint is?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 12:58:15 AM by Aus78Formula »