Author Topic: Thinking about buying a 1980 trans am turbo  (Read 1701 times)

Offline bigsteve

Thinking about buying a 1980 trans am turbo
« on: May 18, 2007, 10:34:54 PM »
Would like to know some thing about this car before I buy this car the good and bad. Can someone out there tell me what type of oil this 301turbo engine uses for oil I only see straight 30 wt oil marked under the hood wich I would guess is due to the turbo charger? This car has had 2 previous owners has all the papers that I have not seen as of this time, engine has 70,000 original miles on it and everything looks original except the rug was changed out a few years ago the rest of the interior is in great shape. What is a car like this in good shape worth in the north east? Also what grade or octane rating does it require with this turbo, does it have a posi rear? The car does have a problem warming up that I was told and it sounds like the carb will need cleaning since the car has done alot of sitting for the last 3 years and even some years before that I am told. Is working on this cars carb hard or could I send it out to be rebuilt by a trans am shop out there? Any help would be great Thanks I advance Steve