Author Topic: 1979 trans am  (Read 107668 times)

Offline racereaper7

Re: 1979 trans am
« Reply #165 on: May 11, 2010, 08:14:24 PM »
i forgot, when we took the trans am out for a cruise to see how it was driving. we was on a two lane road with a mirge line coming on to it and as we got past it,the was another coming.what are the chances of it being a 83- trans am (the knight rider body style)
i just thought i would let you guys know how neat is was to have the two trans am side by side

Offline Frode_skj

« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2010, 11:14:10 AM »
I got my car running again :) took it out for a little drive today, and that was awesome :)
We actually got nice weather here today too :)
"79 Trans Am tenth Anniversary Edition"
"81 Turbo Trans Am"
Sad to see that people part out T\A's :( especially saveable ones

Offline racereaper7

« Reply #167 on: May 15, 2010, 05:48:11 PM »
went over today to try to do something, this is all i got done before it started to rain

Offline racereaper7

« Reply #168 on: May 23, 2010, 04:18:47 PM »
been a while since i got a chance to work on the trans am (starting autocrossing,work,low $). went over to day to get some fresh air (not feeling the best and hurt my shoulder at work), well any way here some more pictures. i know its not the  best work but with low money i thought i would try to make it look a little better. (it was a little difficult to get in that tight space)

Offline John007

« Reply #169 on: May 25, 2010, 02:03:15 AM »
Nice job there racereaper7.............Did ya do all that without removing any parts??????? I need to do the same thing........So you'll have to tell,,,,,, what paint you used and how ya got that brake booster so clean??????????? I imagine it was fun lol.......................

Offline racereaper7

« Reply #170 on: May 25, 2010, 08:11:04 AM »
ya it was fun. you should probably use a different paint i just used what i had around/could get with out ordering.
the black is a rust eliminater enamel from i think rustoleum. because the master cylinder was starting to rust coat.
so i cleaned both the master cylinder and brake booster, got as much off as i could then i taped off the brake booster or where i did not want to spray the black.that was the easy part then i let that dry because how i did mine i had to tape the master cylinder off to be able to get the best angle on the brake booster.
the brake booster was the hardest part for me because i did not have any tools so i was unable to move any thing. so i was just shot from different angles. i have a picture i took when i got all my masking off,but its a bad picture.
i did not have a lot of materials that i needed so it all looks like junk. but ill post it up later. it was very interesting to get the brake booster done with out getting any thing else. it does not llok the best but it will have to do for now.

Offline racereaper7

« Reply #171 on: May 25, 2010, 08:14:01 AM »
for the gold there was not alot of different styles around here withh out ordering so i just picked up a gold from meijer that looked alright and would work on metal ill have to get the names and the brands and post them up.
and more questions i would be happy to answer,sorry if this was not help full heading out to work

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #172 on: May 25, 2010, 09:00:40 AM »
a little at a time and you will get it where you want it.

Keep tinkering
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline John007

« Reply #173 on: May 26, 2010, 02:04:40 AM »
Thanks for all that info racereaper7........I was going to pull the brake booster off but your way sounds like an easier way to go..............Later.....................

Offline racereaper7

« Reply #174 on: June 12, 2010, 05:03:16 PM »
today i went over to see my dad and i thought i would do a little work on the trans am, i could have turned out better but i would have to say it turned out pretty good.what do you guys think?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 05:04:47 PM by racereaper7 »

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #175 on: June 14, 2010, 06:41:29 PM »
turned out pretty good!!!

But have you had any fun in it yet?
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline racereaper7

« Reply #176 on: June 14, 2010, 09:20:49 PM »
had a little fun,but not much its been raining none stop. i do plan to take for a little cruise the next weekend when we get some sun. i really wanted to take it out last weekend but it started to rain.
i was really proud of what i did though. car looks almost brand new. i also fixed the seat belt. it kept getting stuck on a metal clip?
i really do want to take it out for a spin. thanks for the comment

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #177 on: June 22, 2010, 03:01:20 PM »
had a little fun,but not much its been raining none stop. i do plan to take for a little cruise the next weekend when we get some sun. i really wanted to take it out last weekend but it started to rain.
i was really proud of what i did though. car looks almost brand new. i also fixed the seat belt. it kept getting stuck on a metal clip?
i really do want to take it out for a spin. thanks for the comment

How about an update? Any new progress?

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline racereaper7

« Reply #178 on: June 28, 2010, 10:43:09 PM »
no updates at the moment, wife was in the hospital last week for 7 days. i did manage to sell my extra body kit so i might have some money to get something done. im not sure what to do next. i know suspension needs work, fluids change all around they probably have not be done in a couple of years. interior work-wheels and tires.
im probably going to do the suspension work see what needs to be fixed/upgrade and the fluids and some cleaning.
*still need to try the turtle wax black box.
-any sujestions are welcome. thank you all for the comments and inputs. i really do want to take it for a spin this weekend,

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #179 on: June 29, 2010, 09:06:43 AM »
Sorry the missus was in the hospital. Is she better now?

I would look at rear leaf springs. Just put a set on my car and MAN what a difference it made. The old springs on my car were absolutely ROTTEN, and on the drivers side were rusted completely through and broken. New springs made it a whole new car. Just a suggestion.

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower