Author Topic: Rochester Quadrajet question  (Read 857 times)

Offline Lukas

Rochester Quadrajet question
« on: October 21, 2016, 12:13:27 AM »
Hello guys. I have a quadra jet emissions question I'm wondering if any one can give me some insight on? Carberator is on a 1984 Chevy small block. Emissions are all vacuum controlled, it has a hot air choke that doesn't  seem to be working as I have to manually kick the idle down. Anyway question is will a Rochester carb setup for emissions run correctly with all the emissions stuff removed? ie: thermac, Efe etc? Vacuum pump is completely removed and all lines going to it and Ports plugged, heat riser and valve removed, all vacuum lines to air cleaner removed etc. all these vacuum ports are now plugged at carb except distributer vacuum which was teed in to tvs sensors now has new hose going directly to ported vacuum. This Rochester has a secondary vacuum break pod at the back of carb that had vacuum line going to emissions air cleaner, I do not know where to hook this secondary to now as the emissions are removed from air cleaner but the secondary break should still be hooked up some how should it not???. Hook it to manifold vacuum? From what I read it helps with cold starts opening the secondaries just slightly on carb. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry that's a lot of info. I get approximately 12mpg on this carb, is this normal?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 12:43:27 AM by Lukas »

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Rochester Quadrajet question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 05:39:02 AM »
The choke should only drop idle once revved and warmed up. Anything not sure of just plug, and should be fine, won't be at it's optimum as tuned and setup to run differently to how you want it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 06:03:36 PM by Aus78Formula »