Author Topic: what should i check if im getting no spark?  (Read 1155 times)

Offline daJoker

what should i check if im getting no spark?
« on: September 18, 2014, 12:38:06 PM »
im getting volts to and from the coil, theres a new ign. module in it, the plugs are good, same with cap and rotor... only thing is when i turn the car on, the coil volts are 12, when i try turning it over, they go down to about 9.6 and no spark, battery is good, is there a ground wire or something im missing?

Offline JupiterBandit

Re: what should i check if im getting no spark?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 01:03:56 PM »
What year car and motor?

Condition of cap and rotor is important.

If you're getting volts out of the coil where are you seeing this?

I take it your coil sits on top of your distributor cap? You checked the volts coming from the cap to the rotor?

It can be bad spark plug wires.

Wires not seated on to the cap and or plugs properly - I've seen this a lot

Bad plug or improperly gapped plug.

This should get you started

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 01:04:53 PM »
Is your rotor making contact with the cap?

Offline daJoker

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 01:42:25 PM »
87 firebird trans am v8 305, i just replaced the coil today, the module as well. the cap and rotor look good.. there are 2 plugs on top of the coil, then you have the point where the dist. wire plugs into the coil. 2 plugs go directly into the module under the distributor, the other 2 is a red wire i assume is power, and the other goes to the ignition. after i plug in all the wires i took off the one going to the distributor and tested it with a multimeter.. the volts when turned on are 12 but when i go to start the car they go down to 9.6 with no spark. the coil sits on the side of the distributor...

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 03:00:30 PM »
87 firebird trans am v8 305, i just replaced the coil today, the module as well. the cap and rotor look good.. there are 2 plugs on top of the coil, then you have the point where the dist. wire plugs into the coil. 2 plugs go directly into the module under the distributor, the other 2 is a red wire i assume is power, and the other goes to the ignition. after i plug in all the wires i took off the one going to the distributor and tested it with a multimeter.. the volts when turned on are 12 but when i go to start the car they go down to 9.6 with no spark. the coil sits on the side of the distributor...

New ignition module could be bad, It's happened to me on a couple occasions.

Check this site out

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm/4.3L-5.0L-5.7L/distributor-mounted-icm-tests-3