Author Topic: Won't Start.  (Read 1329 times)

Offline 86cookiemonster

Won't Start.
« on: June 07, 2011, 01:07:27 PM »
I have a 78 and it was running perfect. I went out to go for a cruise today and hit the key and nothin.  I hit it again and heard a click from the colum, or at least that is where it sounded like it came from.  There was no sound from the starter.  It has plenty of juice from the battery and everything appears to be hooked up as far as neutral saftey, ignition switch.

Oh and if i hit the key enough times it will eventually fire up.  Any suggestions would help.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 01:13:30 PM by 86cookiemonster »

Offline kc79ta

Re: Won't Start.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 01:17:24 PM »
Check battery connections and all grounds. Check for 12v at the purple at the starter. You will need someone to turn the key to the start position. This will tell you if all your switches are working, and your starter crapped out.
Keith

Offline UnderDog403

• Phil 4:13
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 02:02:08 PM »
Sounds like good ole' GM hot start.
What I do to cure hot start:
- Make sure all connections having to do with the starting circuit are clean, and corrosion free, like kc79ta said.

-Install either a heat shield, or a starter blanket. The blanket fixed my hot start problems.

-If that doesn't fix it, you could install a remote mount solenoid, like on the old fords. Notice they almost never suffer from hot start?? The GM solenoid gets cooked every time the car runs, and if you have headers, it's even worse.

Heat causes resistance... so naturally, the hotter the solenoid, the more resistance..

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:06:43 PM by UnderDog403 »
NOT INVESTMENTS.
1977 Trans Am hardtop 400 auto
1979 Trans Am T-top 403
1997 Trans Am M6

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 06:52:24 PM »
The heat soak I got caused the starter to crank but crank very slowly.  I replaced the starter and that solved the problem.

Offline crazyd_wv

• Yellowbird on cardomain
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 08:52:46 PM »
x2... just did the same thing.
David
1980 Firebird Yellowbird 
Just rolled over 35,000 miles
Numbers matching
301 & TH350 Trans

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 01:02:56 AM »
Sounds like good ole' GM hot start.
What I do to cure hot start:
- Make sure all connections having to do with the starting circuit are clean, and corrosion free, like kc79ta said.

-Install either a heat shield, or a starter blanket. The blanket fixed my hot start problems.

-If that doesn't fix it, you could install a remote mount solenoid, like on the old fords. Notice they almost never suffer from hot start?? The GM solenoid gets cooked every time the car runs, and if you have headers, it's even worse.

Heat causes resistance... so naturally, the hotter the solenoid, the more resistance..

from what i read sounds like a cold start prob. i say a bad connection somewhere
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 10:47:44 PM »
It could be that the ignition switch is bad. You may already know that the ignition switch is the one mounted on the column tube about halfway down the column, under the dash...not the key switch.
But, it could be that the ignition switch is still good, but the ignition actuator plastic gear(ignition lock sector gear) in the top part of the column is stripped, so it's not moving the rod to the switch dependably.
Steve F.