Author Topic: HOOD INSULATION  (Read 8698 times)

Offline 79 trans am se

HOOD INSULATION
« on: May 06, 2006, 01:43:41 PM »
DID THE 1979 TRANS AM WITH SHAKER HOOD COME WITH THE UNDER THE HOOD INSULATION, EVERY PARTS SUPPLIER I HAVE CONTACTED SAID IT DID NOT COME WITH IT.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: HOOD INSULATION
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 03:49:49 PM »
I've wondered that myself.  I haven't seen any at the salvage yard with it.  I know it was available for the formula.  I did buy hood insulation with the shaker cut out and I plan to install it on my 78 T/A.

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
HOOD INSULATION
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 04:12:44 PM »
Some of the finer reading that I've done said that no TA's had underhood insulation as original equipment. Although no particular source for that info comes to mind.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
HOOD INSULATION
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 07:00:59 PM »
They did not come stock with the hood insulation.... Some things that I show that some 10th Anniversaries had it, but can find no written proof to back it up.  Hood insulation is almost a waste of time anyway.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline 79 trans am se

HOOD INSULATION
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 07:57:10 AM »
Thanks for the info,i might install just to keep the bird from getting his tail feathers burnt.

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
HOOD INSULATION
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 10:47:17 AM »
Actually, the hood insulation has nothing to do with protecting the hood of the car from engine heat.  The purpose of the hood insulation is that when the engine catches on fire, the plastic clip melt and the hood insulation falls down to smother the fire.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline 79 trans am se

HOOD INSULATION
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 11:07:02 AM »
Thanks for the info,did not know that was the reason.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
HOOD INSULATION
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 11:34:43 AM »
The hood insulation was part of the sound deadening option on the formula.  I forget what they called the option, but I remember ordering it on my formula.      You got some insulation in the roof, the floor, a hush panel under the drivers side A/C duct and the hood insulation.  The plastic push in clips were designed for easy installation.

Offline Black78TA

Re: HOOD INSULATION
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 09:26:56 PM »
Quote from: ta78w72
I've wondered that myself.  I haven't seen any at the salvage yard with it.  I know it was available for the formula.  I did buy hood insulation with the shaker cut out and I plan to install it on my 78 T/A.

My "original" 78 TA did not come with hood insulation from the factory. Install it if you like it . Insulation was typically used for noise suppression, not to extinguish underhood fires. :?  :)

Offline Eagle 1

HOOD INSULATION
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 10:10:04 AM »
I agree with Hitman.  I was also told that hood insulation was to help extinguish fires.  I can see where it would pointless to have hood insulation under a TA hood with the hole in it for the shaker hood.
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."

Offline Fire Am

HOOD INSULATION
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 11:19:39 AM »
I can say that I unknowingly ordered the insulation package (termed "additional acoustical insulation", option code BS1) with my 77 TA. It was a $16 option and did not include under hood insulation. When I questioned the dealer at the time, I was told that only came on Firebirds and Formulas, not TA's. My brother bought a Firebird Esprit the same year, it had the under hood insulation.
Mike

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
HOOD INSULATION
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 09:51:19 AM »
The fire would be fairly intense to melt the metal clips that held my hood insulation up!

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
HOOD INSULATION
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2006, 02:34:01 PM »
The original hood insulation retainers are plastic.  About a two inch disc with a push in pin.  All one piece.