Author Topic: sub boxes for your trunk  (Read 16118 times)

Offline HOMER

• Adv. Member
  • Brown Bandit lol
Re: sub boxes for your trunk
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 07:24:51 PM »
i had a ta that at one time had a system in it when i removed the gas tank there were holes in it.....they screwed the box to the floor!! must not have reliezed the tank was under it
She's a Winner

Offline skisix38off

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 08:35:32 AM »
Brain C- I want to have space in the trunk too.  I plan to fit the sub box up under the rear pacakge tray but not come out as far as the picture with the two subs.   

A requirement is that I be able to fit the t tops, a small spare, and my son's wakeboard back there.  My ski fits with the tail with a towell on the console and the tip slides up to the back window.  the kid rides in the front seat and the two golden's ride in the back( I cover the back seats with towells too).  The TA is the perfect "lake" car and I wouldn't change that for the world.   This way I get to combine a lot of my favorite things in the world- in no paticular order...  My kid, skiing, my dogs, music and...(drum roll) the TA!  Unfortunately for me, my wife has about 2200 hrs behind the wheel of a ski boat and she's burned out.....:(
1978 Y88 L78 auto, PW
Greg

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 11:48:03 AM »
What I was thinking for a sub box was to come out as far as that raised lip in the trunk (closest to the backseat support) and go from wheel well to wheel well. I *think* a 8" sub would fit that way (possibly 2 if there's enough airspace for the enclosure).

Then the amp would go stacked on top of my current amp so I really wouldn't lose much trunk space.

This would allow me to keep the full sized spare, trolley jack, and tools I carry all in the trunk.

Haven't gotten past the planning stage though but I *think* this would work out best for my specific application and design requirements.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline skisix38off

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 08:01:14 AM »
What I was thinking for a sub box was to come out as far as that raised lip in the trunk (closest to the backseat support) and go from wheel well to wheel well. I *think* a 8" sub would fit that way (possibly 2 if there's enough airspace for the enclosure).

Then the amp would go stacked on top of my current amp so I really wouldn't lose much trunk space.

This would allow me to keep the full sized spare, trolley jack, and tools I carry all in the trunk.

Haven't gotten past the planning stage though but I *think* this would work out best for my specific application and design requirements.

I started to lay things out with cardboard this weekend and my "plans" go timmediately flushed.  The opening of the trunk is where a lot of problems start and end.  That opening is very small and to do anything from wheel well to wheel well( I was with ya there) would require you to assemble the box in the trunk...  I will now build as small of a box that the sub needs and try to keep it on the driver side of the trunk and save space for a mini-spare on the other side.
1978 Y88 L78 auto, PW
Greg

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 09:31:55 AM »
I was going to assemble it in the trunk if needed. Here's how I was going to tackle that particular portion...

Dowel pins, glue and some L brackets screwed to the various sides of the box. Could very easily be done that way.

Then I'd wrap the face of the box that you'd actually see in some nice carpetting color keyed to the carpet in the trunk. Or maybe camel tan....hadn't thought that far ahead.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!

Offline skisix38off

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 01:52:33 PM »
I was going to assemble it in the trunk if needed. Here's how I was going to tackle that particular portion...

Dowel pins, glue and some L brackets screwed to the various sides of the box. Could very easily be done that way.

Then I'd wrap the face of the box that you'd actually see in some nice carpetting color keyed to the carpet in the trunk. Or maybe camel tan....hadn't thought that far ahead.

That would do it!  I deally, IMO, same color and nap and the trunk carpet to look like the traunk ends rights there....
1978 Y88 L78 auto, PW
Greg

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 03:56:46 PM »
Yep. Or you could use biscuits if you have a biscuit joiner.

Any number of ways you could do it. If access to the sides/top were issues you could always use a 1"x1" piece glued into the corners and use t-nuts/bolts to hold things together.

Competition guys sometimes forgo the screws to hold things together BUT they are able to clamp the box securely using pipe clamps while the glue sets up.

Choice is totally yours as to how you build it in the trunk.

My own personal preference is that I wouldn't put anything in on either of the sides of the trunk that would inhibit me from changing lightbulbs. It's a pain enough already without having to fight with the sub/box as well.

Offline defend21

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 08:50:45 AM »
Here's mine, just have to clean up the final install.  No problem with spare or tools.  No problem with T-top's either.  Sounds great.

[attachment deleted by admin over 90 days old]
1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 Y84 Deluxe Blk Int #'s Match T-Top - 403/Auto (SWAPPED TO 525HP - 428 4 Bolt) - /Pypes Exhaust/Pro-Touring Suspension/Original Radio-Custom Stereo

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 09:32:50 AM »
That's a viable option. Looks pretty clean install wise - nice job.

How do you change the side marker and tail light bulbs? Pull the sub?

Offline ponchonutty

• Adv. Member
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 12:12:47 PM »
Why not do fiberglass?  It's so much easier and usually better results than trying to put together MDF box inside that tiny trunk.  Here's a few pics of one I made for my work truck.  Nice thing too is that you can tailor the size needed for the subs.  Remember guys anyone can build an enclosure but only those that know what they are doing can make one with the correct volume of space needed for the subs AND car.

masked off area

layers of resin only.

Layers of resin with one layer of matting with front cover installed

Back view of reinforcements

picture with rubber coating inside to dampen unwanted vibrations

completed tiny box installed
Rich enough to own a TA, too poor to keep'm all ;)
1980 TA (1st car)
1989 Formula
1976 400 4sp
1976 400 auto
1978 WS6/W72 4sp
1970 455 4sp Formula clone
1980 Indy Pace TA

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 12:28:13 PM »
Looks good Poncho.

But with a few simple calculations you can figure out the airspace of your enclosure. It's usually easier to perform those calculations based on a box rather than a free shaped/formed back.

Just my own preference. Again, I have my own specific design criteria so what works for me may not be the best for anyone else.

Offline defend21

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 01:26:16 PM »
Nice Poncho, but I wouldn't say I have that skill set.  Mine is a mock up, I've already calculated the space needed and will cut to fit with a carboard template the actual face then cover with black carpet, same as trunk.  I should have it finished Saturday and will post up some more pics with the box out of the car and then in.  Hopefully my other project doesn't get in the way.  Changing out the heads.  Uggggg   
See.....   http://www.78ta.com/smf/index.php?topic=15778.15
1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 Y84 Deluxe Blk Int #'s Match T-Top - 403/Auto (SWAPPED TO 525HP - 428 4 Bolt) - /Pypes Exhaust/Pro-Touring Suspension/Original Radio-Custom Stereo

Offline ponchonutty

• Adv. Member
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 04:34:01 PM »
Thanks guys.  Actually its much easier to do fiberglass than what you may think.  Google it on the net and you'll find tons of info on it.  As far as sq/ft calculations with glass I mock it up with cardboard or thin panelling then I put a big bag inside it usually a trash bag then I fill that with either water or even foam peanuts.  Then I empty that into containers with measurements on there then come up with the total volume that way.
Rich enough to own a TA, too poor to keep'm all ;)
1980 TA (1st car)
1989 Formula
1976 400 4sp
1976 400 auto
1978 WS6/W72 4sp
1970 455 4sp Formula clone
1980 Indy Pace TA

Offline skisix38off

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2010, 08:16:20 AM »
That looks really nice Ponchonutty!  I've done trailer repairs and some other boat related work in fiberglass so I'm not scared of doing it that way.  What I don't know how to do is lat glass upside down...  But perhaps I could use the trunk and side walls of the trunk for a mold and then use a board for the top and glass over that....  It's an idea.

Greg
1978 Y88 L78 auto, PW
Greg

Offline jonathonar89

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2010, 09:04:44 AM »
How much would something like this generally cost?