Author Topic: A simple question.  (Read 2057 times)

Offline '78 LadyBird

• Adv. Member
A simple question.
« on: December 10, 2009, 02:50:31 PM »
Hi Everyone!  Yes, I have my computer back.  Just when you thought I was lost somewhere, I'm back!  ;D

Ok, simple question here:

How do you know which needs to be replaced.  Leaf Springs or shocks?

What should be the clearance between the tires and the wheel well?  I want it stock.  
I notice that when I go over road/speed humps, unless I take them on an angle, I will hit bottom.

How do I know if I need shocks and not springs?
Or the other way around.

I know your supposed to bounce on the front end or rear end to see and judge the bounce, but I am not really sure as to how much spring back is supposed to be there?   One good push down..........1 bounce back or 2 bounce back or none?

Any help will and always will be appreciated!!

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 02:52:58 PM by CYA »
Proud owner of
1978 Silver TA WS6/W72
1984 Firebird S/E
2000 Firehawk, #696
1954 Ford Skyliner

New Pictures added...
LINK TO OUR GALLERY
http://www.78ta.com/gallery2/main.php/v/See+Ya/

Heidi

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
Re: A simple question.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 02:58:55 PM »
Bounce test....Push down really hard and then let go. Should bounce back and then settle within 1-2 bounces. If its more than that, kinda like a basketball star dribbling down the court, then you definitely need shocks.

The rear end....does it sag? I'm referring to the car :) 

Or to put it another way, when was the last time the springs were replaced? If they're original to the car its definitely time to replace them. A local spring shop will be the cheapest followed by Napa/Autozone/Pepboys/etc. No need to go to the resto catalogs for springs OR shocks.

Shock wise....I have Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks on all 4 corners and love them. I bought mine a few years back when they were cheaper than Bilstein or the like. I've heard KYB's are a little harsh but cheap. Could always go with Monro Sensatraks if you're on a budget.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline '78 LadyBird

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 03:06:57 PM »
Oh I have NO clue if the springs were ever changed out.  That is why I asked, what should the clearance be?  The whole car sits evenly, but to me, it seems it sits too low.  Maybe it's just me.  Naaa, When I  put my boys in the back seat, I still hit bottom.

LOL

Oh, I don't think "my" rear end sags.........hold on let me go check in the mirror..............brb!
Proud owner of
1978 Silver TA WS6/W72
1984 Firebird S/E
2000 Firehawk, #696
1954 Ford Skyliner

New Pictures added...
LINK TO OUR GALLERY

Heidi

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 03:11:58 PM »
Then its possible that the springs are old OR someone put a set of lowering springs on OR someone put the wrong spring rate on. In any event, sounds like they need replacement.

Unless your boys are 400lb football pros...at which point I'm wondering how they got in the rear seat to begin with! I barely fit and I'm around 200lbs at 6'3" :D

I have stock replacement springs on mine and I want to say there's a good 1"-2" gap between the fender lip and the top of the tire.

**Glad you saw the humor in my comment :)

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 11:44:26 PM »
alot of guys on here are trying to get thier cars lower...what part hits the speed bumps?
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline limey

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 07:54:12 AM »
Last spring I did some work on the rear end of my TA.  I wanted to get all the parts powder coated and replace all the old bushings.  I didn't have a problem with bottoming out or any other issues, it just seemed that after 30 years, I should replace those parts.  After having the original leafs powder coated, and installing all new bushings, the ride height of my TA did change.  Its not huge, but there is a difference.  I can't say its the coating(although, I think that may be a small part), but I think the new rear spring shackles, and the new axle rubbers might have made the difference.  The rear of my car was a little low prior, now I think it sits correctly.  I agree with Hammer, try the shocks first.  If that doesn't do it, you may have to do a little more.  My leafs appear to be original, and the ride height and ride seem to be fine, hope that helps.
79 Heritage Brown, 400 4spd, #'s matching. 1 of 2917.

Offline '78 LadyBird

• Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 02:55:45 PM »
Ok, I will replace the shocks, but I will also do the front also.  Heck, If we are going to do the rear, might as well do the front! 

Thanks to all for the suggestions.  Oh, by the way, Brian?  Naaaa, rear end doesn't seem to sag over here.  Still firm! LOL  ;-)
Proud owner of
1978 Silver TA WS6/W72
1984 Firebird S/E
2000 Firehawk, #696
1954 Ford Skyliner

New Pictures added...
LINK TO OUR GALLERY

Heidi

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 03:39:28 PM »
Heidi, I would be curious to know exactly HOW you are getting the vehicle to bounce? Testing with hubby is NOT a GM approved diagnostic method! LOL!
"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."

Offline '78 LadyBird

• Adv. Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 03:50:14 PM »
LMAO  I never thought of it that way Mr. Fred!  That maybe the reason for the windows fogging up on me when I put the "heat" on  (it's not the heater core at all!).............LMAO 
I crack myself up!!
Proud owner of
1978 Silver TA WS6/W72
1984 Firebird S/E
2000 Firehawk, #696
1954 Ford Skyliner

New Pictures added...
LINK TO OUR GALLERY

Heidi

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 05:40:33 PM »
Could be! I have found if you crack the windows, that will help with the fogging. You just need to be in a quiet location prior to diagnosis. Dont want to wake up the neighbors! 
"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 08:55:48 PM »
LMFAO
another suggestion is maybe your bushings are worn and in need of replacement as well.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 01:36:32 PM »
Oh, by the way, Brian?  Naaaa, rear end doesn't seem to sag over here.  Still firm! LOL  ;-)

I'll take your word for it Heidi. There would be a long line of people that would have issues if I were to try to independently confirm that statement....starting with your hubby and my gf!  :)