Author Topic: Question about Hood Bird Decals  (Read 7676 times)

Offline John Witzke

Question about Hood Bird Decals
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 01:57:18 PM »
Brett have you seen a unused NOS black special edition hood decal?  Not a reproduction.  If so does the wings have black backing or are they clear?  I was under the assumption it was clear.
John Witzke

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 02:17:17 PM »
I am looking into that now.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline LeighP

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 01:07:19 AM »
Quote from: "Hitman"
Yes, there are two different decal sets from PG.  There is the gold/black decals which are for black cars and have black in the center of the bird and black on the wings linke show in the photo above.  And then they have the gold/clear decals which are black in the center and clear on the outside to let the body color show through.  Like this:

So, if you have a black Trans Am, then you need the gold/black kit, and if you have any other color Trans Am, then you need the gold/clear kit.

Now I guess to really read your question right, you are asking if the gold/black bird is the same as the gold Special Edition bird used on the Special Edition cars.  No, the decals are different, but your question about the wings being filled in is YES they are the same.  The gold/black kit for black Trans Ams has the wings filled in as does the matte gold Y82/Y84 Special Edition hood bird for SE cars.

Here is the gold/black non-SE hood bird not applied:

Notice the wings are filled in with black

Here is the matte gold Y82/Y84 SE hood bird not applied:

Again, the wings are filled in.  Hopes this answers your question.

Brett,
Thanks very much...that explanation and pics nailed exactly what I wanted to know.....I'm looking long term at changing colour when I paint my car and I needed to know that info so I could think about which type of decals to use. Its good to know theres an option with the clear outer panels if I don't go black....still thinking maybe blue with gold decals.
Appreciate the detailed response.....and thanks everyone else for your comments, too.  8)
Regards,
Leigh
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455

Offline TransAm7779

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 10:04:07 PM »
Quote from: "LeighP"

....still thinking maybe blue with gold decals.
Appreciate the detailed response.....and thanks everyone else for your comments, too.  8)

I'm doing Nocturne Blue with gold decals on my '79. I think it would be very interesting to see somthing similar on a '77. Or were you thinking of the lighter blue?
977 Trans Am SE
1979 Trans Am
1978 Chevy C10
"When you tell somebody something, it depends on what part
of the United States you are standing in as to just how dumb you are."

Offline LeighP

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 02:01:13 AM »
The blue I'm thinking of is a modern metallic mid blue used on a local (Aussie) made car....around the shade of Martinique or Lucerne blue.
It really stands out in the sun.
Regards,
Leigh
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455