Author Topic: musclecargeye on ebay  (Read 6689 times)

Offline goldbird78se

musclecargeye on ebay
« on: July 01, 2014, 11:08:16 PM »
just sayin'...
charles "moose" dempsey is the ebay seller aka "musclecargeye" that  sold me a 1978 solar gold (se) trans am in march 2014.
i've been on this forum asking questions and trying my hardest to fix this car that was sold to me as a "driver quality" car. 
i spoke to charles before the sale to tell him that i was no mechanic but liked the car.  i asked what the car needed to be done immediately to make it driveable.  and charles assured me that it was in great driving condition and that i would need to do nothing except fine tune the cosmetics on the car. 

i'm too trusting and it was too good to be true.  the car arrived with cracked, rotten, bald tires, no gas in the tank, all electrical chopped, wrong and cracked carburetor, cracked and leaking transmission, puttering exhaust, broken seats, non-adjustable side view mirrors, oil stained front and back windshields, rotting and raining down headliner, non-working radio and a/c, broken power steering and bad shocks.  and it stinks - bad.... see my post "help my stinky car".

i called, texted emailed charles trying to work things out.  he kept asking for estimates so i was spending a fortune driving the car to mechaincs and taxi-ing home then back again.  charles dempsey never pulled through on any financial help.  he really just screwed me over.   and by the time i realized that he'd kept me hanging on hope, it was too late to leave ebay feedback.  i can't warn anyone!!!  except off ebay....

well, that's my story so far.  i hope the car really is an se.  (i did pull the vin number info from detroit and it looks good. - but can vin be faked??)  i hope i can get it running again. i hope that it's not full of stolen parts.   i hope no one goes though what i've gone through with a purchase from charles "moose" dempsey again. 

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
Re: musclecargeye on ebay
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 12:04:02 AM »

i'm too trusting and it was too good to be true.  he really just screwed me over.   i hope no one goes though what i've gone through with a purchase from charles "moose" dempsey again. 

now a days it is PURE LUCK to get ANY item on ebay that is truly "as described" unless you know the seller. sorry this happened, but you said it yourself in the quote above. good luck with your build
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline gilbertsta

• "Live Like You Are Dying"
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 07:27:59 AM »
There is a lot left out of the story...like pictures and the price you paid. There is always work to be done on these cars. A little problem to some of us is a big problem to others. I am always hesitant to throw someone under the bus after hearing only one side of a story. Anyways you brought attention to this seller....so buyer beware!

~Trans ams rule....others drool~

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 07:43:44 AM »
but can vin be faked??

Not to add to your worries but yes, a VIN tag can be changed (yes, it's illegal).
The best way to rest your fear on this is to compare your VIN tag on the dash to the VIN on the title for starters...then compare it to the hidden partial VIN on the firewall.
It is located behind the AC/heat case (so it's a hassle to get to) on the passenger side. It will be stamped twice into the metal of the firewall...and it's very hard to alter so that should help you.

Post some pictures of your car when you can.

In the meantime, these links might be helpful to you:

http://www.78ta.com/goldspecial.php

http://www.78ta.com/vin1978.php

http://www.78ta.com/cowl1978.php

All of this and more can be found in links on the main page of the site: www.78TA.com
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline goldbird78se

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 08:31:05 AM »
thanks jeff!  i'll check it out.

and yes, i left out from my post that i am to blame as well.  i trusted this guy to tell me the truth and bought the car sight unseen.  i believed him that the car didn't have current problems.  and i believed him that the mileage was 111,000.  he sent the title a week after the car arrived and then it was clear the car had 211,000 miles.  (titled was dated 2006 and showed 186,000 at the time. )
i did have the vin # (from the title and dash) checked and the car is y88 se.  but i still want to see that firewall stamp.

well, fingers crossed i can get it to a decent place.  and lesson learned....
btw, i paid $8800 for the car.   and still haven't figured out how to post pics on this site!

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 08:41:17 AM »
Here are the approximate areas you will find the 2 partial VIN stamps on your firewall

As for adding pix, most use Photobucket...there is helpful info here:
http://www.78ta.com/HTAF/index.php?topic=5167.0
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 08:08:28 AM »
Is this guy in Maryland?

Offline goldbird78se

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 12:29:02 PM »
hey jupiterbandit.  yes, he's in bel air maryland. 

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 01:56:42 PM »
I have bought a car off of him. I've been to his house.

I couldn't find the listing of the car you bought on ebay.

Do you have photos of the car?

and do you have a copy of the listing.

Offline goldbird78se

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 09:00:38 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151252226797?forcerRptr=true&item=151252226797&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

above is the  link to the posting. 
i texted charles and asked about the mileage.  he said 111,000.  he sent the pink slip (title) over a week after the car arrived and that's when i realized he'd lied to me about the mileage. 
he seemed nice on the phone in discussing the car.  but i asked repeatedly what i'd need to do to the car right away - what a mechanic would tell me needed to be done and he said nothing.  i had to replace the tires, the carburetor, the fuel lines, hook up the electrical, fix the power steering, replace headliner, repair transmission.  would've been nice if he'd mentioned a few of these issues with the car. 

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 11:05:22 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151252226797?forcerRptr=true&item=151252226797&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

above is the  link to the posting. 
i texted charles and asked about the mileage.  he said 111,000.  he sent the pink slip (title) over a week after the car arrived and that's when i realized he'd lied to me about the mileage. 
he seemed nice on the phone in discussing the car.  but i asked repeatedly what i'd need to do to the car right away - what a mechanic would tell me needed to be done and he said nothing.  i had to replace the tires, the carburetor, the fuel lines, hook up the electrical, fix the power steering, replace headliner, repair transmission.  would've been nice if he'd mentioned a few of these issues with the car.

I feel really bad that your experience didn't go well. Maybe I can help you feel better about all of this.

I just saw a video on  your car. It is a sweet assz car. I can tell you it sure does look to be all SE. The doors shut nice, the panels all line up, it is not rusty underneath, the rims look great even if the tires were worn. Cosmetically, I see having the window moldings painted black. The inside appeared to be driver condition and looked alright.

Despite whatever paperwork you saw. There is no way that car has 211,000 miles on it. These cars were lucky to make it to 90,000 miles let alone 200,000 miles. So if the odometer says 11,000 miles then I'd say 111,000 miles would be realistic.

The great news for you is, You can ask anyone here and they will tell you that you got a lot of car for $8,800.00. I applaud you on the deal you got. First things first, you got a 1978 Trans Am, add the fact that it's not rusted out, the paint still looks good and the interior is driver condition, and most importantly it's a Gold Special Edition.  It's worth some money.

Now lets address your complaints.

Headliner-- They are all doomed to fall. Lets face it, a lot of us guys wait forever to do something about it so it's understandable that he may not have thought it was a big deal and since the roof is only 8" wide between the ttops, it can't droop that much anyhow.

Tires-- I hate to say it but some people love to drive on what I call bald snake skin tires. If there's a pattern to be seen then a lot of people will say they are still good. It's all in an opinion. This is what makes buying other peoples cars difficult. We all have our own opinion of what's acceptable. It's hard to see in the video how bad they are as they look good in the video. Video tends to hide a lot.

Brakes and Suspension- luckily isn't expensive to do on these cars and Charles buy and sell cars. These are not his personal cars. I know he doesn't have a lift and he's not restoring these things. It's a lesson we all learned when we bought our first cars like you did.

Smelly car- If it's your exhaust that's stinking the car could be running lean and may need the carb rebuilt. This is normal. Plus these old cars stink more than todays cars due to the lack of modern emission controls.

Cut wires-- Well, unfortunately it's a given to have cut wires. It's a miracle when we find a car that hasn't ben mangled and cut up.

Welcome to the world of owning a 36 year old collectible. Make sure you visit the forums regularly as this is where you will get all the information to keep your new Bird on the road.

I'm posting the video here so people can see what you have. I feel you did a great job getting this car. If you fix up the things listed you will see people say your car would be worth high teens if not $20k's

http://youtu.be/IPU4zAebxn4
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:08:57 PM by JupiterBandit »

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 11:12:22 PM »
I also want to say in no way do I owe Charles anything. He is an acquaintance not a friend. I am just being honest in what I am sharing with you. I met Charles and he was very nice and very reasonable. His character was not of someone out to make money at all cost. He is just a nice honest guy.

All the info I shared with you is accurate and I believe most members here would agree 

Offline goldbird78se

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 09:40:44 AM »
thanks jupiterbandit.  your opinion does make me feel better.  i do finally have the car in reasonable running condition and am enjoying it.  apparently, it was smelling up my garage and house due to either the fact that the purge  canister was not hooked up OR a fuel had a problem.  i had all fuel lines replaced and the canister hooked up and the problem is much better.  still smells like there's an old car in my garage (fine by me) but no longer smells like the house will explode if i light a match.

as for the mileage / title issue.  the title was date 2006 with 186,000 miles listed.  since i got the car in 2014 and the odometer read 11,000, i have to assume it has 211,000 miles.  regardless of your opinion or charles' opinion on the true mileage, he should have told me what the title said.  that's the only factual thing we have to base our opinion on the mileage of the car.  if i sold it tomorrow, i would explain the situation including my knowledge of the title history.  i tried to contact the person listed as title holder (2006)  through facebook but received no response. 

again, i appreciate your time and response and thoughfullness on my car purchase.  i should not have bought it sight unseen.  however, now that i've put another $3000 into the car, it's beginning to feel like a driver quality car and i'm spending more time enjoying it and less time stressed over the experience. 

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 10:36:18 AM »
Glad to hear it.

Just a note: If you ever go to buy something online again, the forums are a great place to get one of us if local to go and look it over for you. A lot of us do it for free.

Also with your car looking to be in pretty much original condition it just may of had the motor rebuilt and had 200k put on it.

I can tell  you that I have 2 TA's that have less than 90k on them and they had to have all the suspension and bushings replaced. So what that means is the value of your car is not based on mileage. It's based on how well it looks and drives. So don't be afraid to tell someone it has lots of mileage. Car guys do not care as we all know it doesn't matter for old cars. The only time it matters is if you were going to say it had ridiculously low mileage like 5 miles or 2,200 miles on it. Anything less than I'd say 40k miles it would matter and that's if the car was still gorgeous with original paint and parts. But those people won't drive those cars. They sit in a garage because they want to keep the mileage low.

Anyway, Here's a 1978 for sale. You tell me which one you'd have the better deal on lol

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/pontiac/trans_am/1659756.html

As you can see the car is not in MINT shape. It states paint is 60%, carpet needs replacing, door panels very worn. All in all I don't think it's that much better than yours. And they're asking over $30k.

I think you did well. A lot of us here pay $4-$5k for ones that need to be completely redone.

Just to give you an idea of worth. That way you don't under sell it if you ever decide to sell it.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 11:11:27 AM by JupiterBandit »

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 10:42:32 AM »
Sorry for your  perceived crappy experience on buying your first Trans Am.  I think alot of us (me included) have had a bad experience in purchasing our first TA.  Maybe your/our bar is/was set to high? Probably.  Did we know what to look for? Doubtful. 

Consider yourself lucky.  There are 100+ peeps that have bought a TA on Fleabay for double & triple what you payed and have not received a car. And never will. To add insult no refund either. I consider THAT to be a shitty experience. You got off relatively easy.

Buying a car sight unseen is a risky proposition.  You do not REALLY know what you have until it arrives, and in the cases above, never arrives.  You can blame the seller all you want. Was he not forthcoming with all the stated issues? Probably.  The car in the video looked pretty good for 8.8K. Did not open trunk or engine bay.  If that is all I had to base my buying opinion on, I would have asked for more video of specific things (trunk & engine bay).  In the end it is your decision.  When you got the paperwork & it was incorrect, Fleabay should have been notified. Period.

You could have asked on various TA forums for someone to put there eyeballs on this car.  This can prove to be difficult, depends on how much time was on the auction.  If you caught the auction with a couple days left, nearly impossible.  But I bet dollar to a doughnut that you have been watching for a while for the car of your dreams & you caught it when it first went up.

Yes the ultimate decision is/was on you.  Were you mislead? Maybe.  Were you too trusting? Of course.  We all have been there done that.  We live & learn and move on with our tail tucked between our legs.

There are many good peeps here that will help you work through your issues with this car. Say you do not have a mechanical background? Guess what? Mechanics 101 started the day you won that auction, weather you knew it or not.  These jewels are old.  They need pampering, just like that high maintenance girlfriend you dumped in high school.  That is half the beauty of our beloved cars, keeping them in a nice looking & running condition. If your not down for that, buy a newer muscle car.  Ask questions.  Were here for you.

Sorry I seem to a bit hard on you with the above statements.  Don't mean too, but this is my opinion as I see it on the outside looking in on your situation.

Enjoy your Rust Free SE Trans Am.  Dont look back, look foreward!

It could have been alot worse.

BTW:  I am not affiliated with the seller of this TA in any way shape or form

Stan

76 White w blue int. 400 4sp. "Toastee"

76 white with blue/white interior. 400 4 sp.(ongoing project)