Author Topic: considering a 77 4 speed Yellow T/A  (Read 9011 times)

Offline solargold

considering a 77 4 speed Yellow T/A
« on: June 17, 2010, 09:41:11 AM »
Alright guys, my brother is considering a 1977 W72 400, 4 speed yellow Trans AM hard top. It is basically a frame on nut and bolt restoration. Everything from paint and body, interior, drive train, etc... has been refurbished. I know the guy who built it and have bought one from him before. My question is how rare do you think it may be, how desirable and what's it worth? The price is considerably less than what we could build one for. Problem is it is yellow. I really like the color but wonder how easy it would be to get ride of if he ever got tired of it??? I have had 3 and I try to look at them as investments. They do not have to appreciate but as long as you can have fun with them and get your money back is the goal. I wonder if the yellow would take a hit. All comments are appreciated.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 04:18:21 PM by solargold »
L8R G8R

Offline Serpiko

Re: considering a 77 4 speed Yellow T/A
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 12:50:30 PM »
I love yellow (not in general but in a T/A I love it) Iīd rather go for a yellow than for a black one, but thatīs just my opinion and probably is not so popular...
"Maybe I am a dinosaur, but I am a Tyrannosaurus Rex baby", -Lemmy

Offline T/A Kid

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 12:59:19 PM »
Ok I'm biased I love the yellow T/A ;) IMO which isn't worth much, If you get it for a good enough price and you seem to think it's a good deal then yes I think you could plus the 4-speed car to me is a desirable car. Now with that said yellow is not the most desirable of colors you either love it or hate it, but a car in that good of shape I think would sell. oh my life's tough decisions. Good luck and if it follows you home post a lot of pictures. :)
In memory of my big brother Jimmy
miss ya everyday bud.

Offline Jolley_Man666

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 03:33:41 PM »
Yellow is my favorite color for a T/A along with brown, but I think a lot of people get turned off by the  yellow for some reason, I'm assuming it's because it's not black with gold decals.
1979 Heritage Brown T/A- 455 Olds Rocket

Offline ScottD3

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 05:28:44 PM »
I like the yellow cars back in 77 a friends brother bought a new yellow one with the black velour interior and I can remember it today how cool that car was. How much is he asking?

Offline solargold

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 05:37:05 PM »
Priced at $13,500 OBO, thinking about going the OBO route and see what happens. We just rebuilt a 77 and spent $7K on paint and body with most of the metal work done by us. Figure motor, transmission, clutch rebuild, exhaust (splitters are in a box and included) and then new interior the price seems reasonable but OBO is even better. We know these cars re going up in value but I am afraid the yellow may cause it to go down in value if there is not much desire for the color.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 05:43:42 PM by solargold »
L8R G8R

Offline dblhh

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 05:48:49 PM »
You don't see too many yellow second gens, so either they're kinda rare or they weren't that desirable back when folks were ordering a new T/A from the factory. But, in my opinion (for what that's worth), I think a yellow T/A looks great and the condition of the T/A would make it just as valuable as any other color.
Herrel

77 T/A, W72, auto, black
77 T/A, Y82, W72, auto, project
79 T/A, auto, project
78 T/A, T-tops, WS6, 400, auto, Marty; SOLD
78 T/A, hardtop, 400, auto, Marty; SOLD

Offline kjkjkcjkcj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 06:23:57 PM »
i love the yellow too i woiuldn't worry too much about re-sell value.  the car looks really nice.
-1979 Trans Am Ws6, W72 400, holley 650, #62 heads (toy)
-Silverado 1500 (daily driver)

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 05:00:59 AM »
looks like a nice car.   just make sure of the WA code on the front of the block and the 6x4 heads. maybe check the block vin to. 

if its a nut and bolt frame on , inside and out . he should have 10k in it easy.

as for the resale of it.  red , black , brown, white, blue, yellow.   every one has there favorite color.   so there will always be a buyer for it.
if your looking to spend that kind of money .  buy what you like. 

to me any OE color is a good one to have.  as long as the rear spoiler says  TRANS AM  and the shaker shakes,  I would drool on it  ;)
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 06:27:10 AM »
amen,
I second 4speed
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline CT Bird Fan

• Dave
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 08:37:17 AM »
as long as the rear spoiler says  TRANS AM  and the shaker shakes,  I would drool on it  ;)

I couldn't have said it any better, I totally agree!!

Personally I think it looks awesome, and I would buy it if I had the money!!!!
Gone but not forgotten - 1979 Formula, 1980 Esprit.

Being birdless sucks!

Offline solargold

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 09:40:21 AM »
When I bought my 79 solar gold from him a couple of years ago this car was in the garage. He sold the 79 to me to fund the restoration on the 77. When I saw it it was for the most part disassembled. It was solid and I know a good amount of time went into it, not just replacing the seat covers and door panels, scratch and shoot then calling it restored. I do see under the hood that the shaker base is likely an aftermarket and the intake manifold looks like it is also, the shaker sits a little high.
L8R G8R

Offline PA Formula 78

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 10:16:20 AM »
Unless your buying it to resell right away, why are you even worrying about resale value.  It seems like that is about the only thing that seems to concern you, and I don't think you would have any problems reselling the car if it is in the shape you say it is in.  Just buy it and enjoy it, and worry about how much it will sell for if that time every comes.
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD (daily driver)
78 Pontiac Firebird Esprit - mild 350, 4-speed, hardtop
77 Plymouth Volare - mild 318, auto, t-tops
64 Plymouth Valiant - built 360, push button auto (future project)

Offline solargold

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 12:15:31 PM »
Not worried about selling it right away, just concerned about over paying to begin with. As others have said before Yellow is a either like it or not color. My worry is if the color limits the buyer then it may also limit the value. This will be my brothers first T/A purchase and I have had 3. I have found the black ones go for more and quicker than the other colors in better shape. Don't want him to pay $13K then be told because it is yellow it is only worth $8K. If it were black I am sure it would have already sold.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:17:19 PM by solargold »
L8R G8R

Offline LTD

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 03:09:12 PM »
Based only on opinion, yellow has to be my absolute favorite color on a second gen Firebird, or Camaro for that matter.  I've always loved it because it's sporty and flashy.  But as you have said, the color goes two ways.  Either you love it, or hate it!  If the existing finish is in good condition, it can be easily repainted with a scuff and shoot...using a sealer, of course.  The jams would be a little extra work, but it wouldn't be all that bad.  If the car is as solid as it looks, I would go for it.  The 4 speed is an added bonus!  I'd say it's a very good deal.  But it's completely up to you to make that decision.