Author Topic: ROCK AND ROLL ENGINEERING  (Read 2419 times)

Offline sicorp

ROCK AND ROLL ENGINEERING
« on: April 01, 2014, 08:49:51 PM »
I dealt with Bruce about 7 yrs ago. I went to him to build a 600HP stroked 455 tri power. for my GTO,

Had the engine in my car for about 18 months. It was broke in correctly and driven aout 2500 miles> At that time I felt it was broke in correctly and started driving a little harder.

I brought the motor to 4500 rpm twice before it blew, Oil pressure went to zero. I had a very reputable engine shop take it out to find the cause, what they found was astonishing.

The cause for loss in pressure was that he did not reinforce the oil pump shaft, allowing it to come loose and wreak havock in the engine block. After taking to the the shop in charge of correcting the problem, they said it is a standard on Pontiac engines, set up for race or high output street to do this.

Here is a list of what Rock n Roll/Bruce Fulper cheated me out of:

Block was not decked
Stock rods
Stock pistons
Stock rings
Head gaskets were not sized to balance engine
No balancing was done on any components
The engine was not stroked
Not stroked crank
Not stroked rods
Stock head bolts
Engine was not balanced
Checks were done on all bearing clearances and did not meet crate engine levels

As a final analogy i paid 12,800.000 dollars for a 4,500.00 crate engine. In his defense he did supply requested Kaufman heads that he did port.

Anything else that was hidden he cheated on. Bruce does no his stuff in the Pontiac world, but would highly recommend, if he does any work for you. That you live at his shop to make sure you are not getting the same and truly are getting what you paid for.

After my engine was rebuilt, by a company that actually did the work that was promised, I finally have the GTO I dreamed of. The engine did a rear wheel dyne at 550hp and I'm thrilled.

Offline LilSki

Re: ROCK AND ROLL ENGINEERING
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 09:24:45 AM »
I can honestly say I am not surprised. But I have also never heard of reinforcing the oil pump shaft either. Unless you mean using the Heavy Duty pump shaft then yes that is standard issue in building a Pontiac.

Regardless of the pump shaft failure it sounds like the motor wasn't long for this world to begin with. Sorry to hear about to loss but again I am not surprised. 2 minutes on google would be enough to learn everything you need to know about Bruce Fulper to not go near him.
Kevin
79 Trans Am: (77 nose), WS6, M-21, 461, Hotchkis TVS, PTFB Contol arms. 
85 Trans Am: Vortec 350 w/LT1 cam/T56, TPI conversion w/Megasquirt II.