Author Topic: Intake Manifold Suggestions  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Logamemnon

Intake Manifold Suggestions
« on: October 04, 2017, 02:50:14 PM »
Hey Everybody!

New to the forum despite having had my 78 T/A for about 10 years now, just finally getting to a place where I can start working on it. I have a 400 bored .30 over with Federal Mogul pistons and a Engine Pro Cam in it (MC1778). I have the rest of the valve train inbound (rocker arms, push rods) and am having difficulty deciding on an intake. I have 2 stock intakes that I could clean up but don't mind spending the money on an aftermarket if there is gains to be had (within reason, of course). Conventional wisdom suggests a dual plane and I am aware of the shaker hood concerns, but I guess I'm wondering what is to be gained by a model without the heat crossovers (the spidery looking ones). Any advice in this regard would be greatly appreciated. And before I forget, I'll be using a reconditioned Rochester Quadrajet that is likely a 800 CFM but may be a 750, Ill be looking into this shortly.

Thanks in Advance!! :)

Offline jonathonar89

Re: Intake Manifold Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 06:26:38 PM »
Most people into Pontiac engines will say to stay with the stock intake and have it ported out.  The next and most preferred option for many is the Edelbrock Performer RPM.  The aftermarket intake that fits stock setups the best is the old Holley Street Dominator intake.  I have one of those if you're interested in buying.

Offline FULZGOLD

Re: Intake Manifold Suggestions
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 03:57:21 PM »
The only advantage to replacing stock with something like an Edelbrock Performer is weight. Its great for lightening up the nose of the car, but it has been shown that power gains are minimal at best over a stock intake.