Author Topic: Electrical Help  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Sutherland79T/A

Electrical Help
« on: October 20, 2014, 04:57:19 AM »
Hey guys, this is my first posting to the forum although I come here all the time to figure out how to fix my bird.  Here is a problem I have run into. I built a Push to Start button with an IGN toggle and ACC toggle. I dropped my steering column to get to the ignition switch. I wired the brown wire to the ACC toggle (it works perfectly), I wired the pink wire to the IGN switch, the purple/white wire to the push button and one of the red battery wires to the constant on. The new toggle setup works awesome, however I keep popping my GAUGE fuse whenever I flip my IGN toggle. Everything else that I know of works correctly to include the radio and anything that was wired to the ACC switch. I'm not sure where to begin looking for my answer, let me know if anyone has a possible solution to this. She's a 79 Trans Am WS6 400 4-speed. Thanks!

There was one issue in the install, I'm not sure if its relevant but I'll throw it out there. While I was under the hood I had my buddy use the push to start as a test. He didn't know the key was NOT in the ignition (my fault for not telling him) meaning that it should have been locked in reverse. He started the car and forcefully shifted it out of reverse without the key being in the ignition. It died and when I realized I put the key back in and started it up again. I want to believe that it was the first time I noticed the gauges were dead but I'm not 100% positive.
1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6

Offline Sutherland79T/A

Re: Electrical Help
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 10:52:43 PM »
Ok, so after studying my wiring diagram I determined that I needed to reconnect the power lead I snipped and tap into it. The gauges work now!

Offline jonathonar89

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 12:53:39 AM »
Ok, so after studying my wiring diagram I determined that I needed to reconnect the power lead I snipped and tap into it. The gauges work now!

Good solution timing my friend...post some pics of your button installed.

Offline Sutherland79T/A

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 06:13:50 AM »
So here is the switch panel I made before I installed it. I ran into another problem after I fixed the fuse issue. I'll post pics once everything is back together. So while I was using my new button I heard a loud pop and now I don't believe the starter bendix is working. It sounds like the starter is turning but the engine isn't cranking. I'm gonna test the solenoid directly from the battery to see if it's the starter or not. Let me know if there are any suggestions or if I'm on the right track.