Author Topic: Not TA related- 99 Tahoe  (Read 535 times)

Offline skisix38off

Not TA related- 99 Tahoe
« on: June 20, 2011, 08:27:18 AM »
Hey guys, I could use some help with my Tahoe....

There are two problems and while I don't think they are related, I've been surprised before.

Problem 1)

the turn signal relay stays on all the time.  I can turn left or right and the turn signal will go on and stay on like it should.  The "clicking" sound remains after the turn has been completed and the signal is off.  I have discovered that if I flip the hazard button on, the "clicking" goes away but, I also don't have any turn signals and the hazards don't come on either.  I have replaced the relay in the fuse box but that had no impact.
Turn signal switches for my Taho are $250 and I don't want to replace that if something else is the culprit.  Any suggestions?  Also- the manual has me revoming everything from the steering wheel including the air bag...  Does all that really have to go?

Problem 2)
The blower has only two speeds now- high and off. When the blower is at full speed, the switch on the controller is set to "off" or  "low".  The fan turns off when the fan switch is set to med-high or high.  If I fiddle with the blower speed control I can get the fan to turn on to low.  I replaced the blower motor control relay and the problem remained.  I pulled the resistor pack out and all the resistors are present and they still have continuity.  Further review with my voltmeter suggests that the resistor pack gets different pins energized when the controller is set to different speeds but I don't know if those pins match the correct resistance for the speed the controller is set to.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Greg
1978 Y88 L78 auto, PW
Greg

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
Re: Not TA related- 99 Tahoe
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 12:54:11 PM »
On my '04 Sierra, it was either the hazard or turn signal relay that went. When that happened, intermittently I would get the following:

Turn left signal on, 4 way hazards would come on.

Took it in 3x before they found the culprit. Might want to replace both relays to be on the safe side...and they're relatively cheap anyways.

And on my '04 Sierra the resistor pack for the fan went. I would have certain speeds but not all. Once the pack was replaced, I had all fan speeds again. I'd wager you're seeing that in your '99 as well.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline skisix38off

Re: Not TA related- 99 Tahoe
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 08:09:21 AM »
I replaced the switch that is behind the selector and that fixed the blower speed problem.  I also removed the bottom cover from the steering column and found that I don't have the correct tools to remove the top cover.  It's like a torx cap screw, so, I would need a torx shaped socket.  Plus, I have visions of triggering the air bag while I'm messing around in there...  I'm starting to think that I should leave this part to a person that has much more training than I do with these things.

I talked to a Chevy service tech and he suggested that the switch may not be bad at all and that I should be able to get at the contacts for the connector and clean them and be good to go.  My luck doesn't usually work that way- and, if I take it to someone they are going to just repalce the switch so they don't have to be concerned about me coming back in a month for the same issue.
1978 Y88 L78 auto, PW
Greg