Author Topic: Driver side door touching Driver Side Fender..Help aligning  (Read 1927 times)

Offline jkelley

• EAST BOUND & DOWN!!
Driver side door touching Driver Side Fender..Help aligning
« on: September 21, 2016, 02:34:19 PM »
Me and My 13 yr old son started working on his T/A last night and we noticed when he opens the driver side Door it hits the back half of the Front fender..Before we tear into the Inner Fender & firewall bolt to see about realigning the fender to the door..Anyone have a diagram or process so that I just don't take bolt's loose or off that's not needed ?...Any help would be greatly appreciated
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 03:38:08 PM by jkelley »
1981 Trans Am / T Top / 400/ TH350

Offline Transatrom

Re: Driver side door touching Driver Side Fender..Help aligning
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 05:46:25 AM »
I have a 1978, and had the same problem.  It became evident what was causing it when I looked at the door alignment to the frame, which proved proper and visibly inspected the door hinges/replaced the sacrificial bushings and installed new pins.  Next I put the car on a lift at pep boys and the gap between the front fender and door changed.  The front frame mounts were the culprit.  So, before you go changing things, conduct that step process of ensuring the door is correct first, then jack up the front and unload the front frame to reveal a possible root cause as opposed to chasing afender alignment that may be correct!