Author Topic: What transmission did my TA have originally?  (Read 6784 times)

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: What transmission did my TA have originally?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 11:23:58 PM »
You would have had an automatic.

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 11:29:21 PM »
Just to correct my mistake from above...didn't realize there were manual Y88's. It appears there were...just fairly rare.

So according to the PHS and the VIN on the car, is it a 400 or a 403 car originally? Or am I overlooking that?
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline 1973Formula

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 11:38:27 PM »
Engine VIN code is "Z".  The clutch/brake pedal assembly is definitely odd.  I will look for the build sheet when I get to the car.

Thanks for all the help.

Offline 1973Formula

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 11:42:20 PM »
Here is a pic of the pedals and shifter.

[attachment deleted by admin over 90 Days old]

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 01:29:28 AM »
How about a good clear pic of the hump under the shifter? Some of the guys might be able to tell since the hump would be either different or altered for a tranny swap. (Make sense?) It's hard to see but it appears that it has an auto trans hump, (to be honest I'm not sure an auto shifter would fit on a 4 spd hump) but can you tell if there's been any metal work done to that area? It's possible they were just starting to convert over to a 4 spd and got as far as installing the pedal assmbly.
Larry

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 07:21:19 AM »
That would be my guess Larry IF the automatic shifter is original to the car. Based on the rust on the shifter mechanism I'd wager the car was originally an automatic.

The wiring in the pic has me a little concerned - it'll take a bit of work to straighten out what's showing as it looks like its been tapped into several times. But then again, we're dealing with a 30yr car and god knows how many owners.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline 1973Formula

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 09:16:59 AM »
Here is the best shot of the trans hump.  There appears to be a large hole cut in the left side of the hump just in front of the auto shifter.

[attachment deleted by admin over 90 Days old]

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 09:40:25 AM »
Looks like the hole was cut for the manual shifter hump BUT was never attached. My hunch would be that someone started the 4spd conversion but lost interest before it was completed.

Again, this is based off the rust on the automatic shifter which seems to match that of what's on the floor making me think that the auto shifter is original to the car.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline 1973Formula

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2008, 09:48:25 AM »
That makes the most sense.  I will know soon.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2008, 10:31:05 AM »
If that indeed is your PHS documentation then the car didn't have the W72 engine.  That would make it an automatic when it left the factory.

However, just a month ago I saw a gold 79 T/A with a four speed.  I looked at the hump and it was an original four speed hump...no cutting.  The rear end of the car was blue...the front end gold.  The VIN indicated a "K".  There was no engine in the car as they pulled it already and stored it inside.  I didn't look at it so I couldn't determine if it was the olds engine or the 400.  The moral of the story is these cars are 30 years old and lots of modifications are possible.

The only way to tell is to find the build sheet and compare it to the vin on the car and to the engine and transmission.  If they all match, you know.  If they don't you know somethings been changed.

Brian's probably nailed it though.

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 11:51:31 AM »
Question: Is it possible that my car is a Y88, but that this information didn't make it to the build sheet? My car was originally solar gold, with gold interior, etc. Is it possible that this informaion might make it to a PHS dealer sheet, but not make it to the build sheet? The reason why I ask is that the cowl tag on my car is a bit..........odd..........but I do have the build sheet for the car and there is no refrence to a Y88 option.

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 12:01:03 PM »
No, the Y88 code would be very prominent on the sheet. My car is also an original Solar Gold with tan car but not a Y88.
Larry