Author Topic: Is it me or are prices going up  (Read 2491 times)

Offline 2ndchildhood

Is it me or are prices going up
« on: February 10, 2012, 07:06:17 PM »
I'm always on the hunt for a TA to part or fix and re-sell but lately I've noticed the cars here (Michigan) having steadily gone up in price.  A car I could have bought last summer for 1000 is now 2500.  A car that last summer was 4k is now 6-7k.  Has anyone else noticed the prices have gone up?  Hopefully a sign of economic recovery??  There is also a steady stream of cars now that last year were 8-9k and now asking 13-14. 
You can never have too many cars

78 Formula
02 CETA

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
Re: Is it me or are prices going up
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 07:30:04 PM »
seems like the t/a is a hot item, look at montes and camaros they are the same way
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 07:40:04 PM »
Same here. Still some good deals but the TA is becoming more and more recognized me thinks and sell prices even on just parts are crazy right now. We need another recession.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
  • Old Birds don't die-they get faster, corner harder
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 09:49:40 PM »
Rollers and parts prices in SoCal have always been higher than the rest of the country- I guess the rest of the country is just catching up.

T/As have always been recognized as the top-of the line Firebird, so it's not surprising they command higher prices. I recently worked on a 79 T/A that a customer bought last summer for around $14.5k. the car was your typical 79 T/A- black w/ hood bird,403, auto, T-tops, and clean. Not sure I would pay that much for a 403-powered T/A, but clearly people are willing to pay.

Geno
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:08:02 PM by 72blackbird »

Offline winks79

• Chad
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 10:49:45 PM »
Rollers and parts prices in SoCal have always been higher than the rest of the country- I guess the rest of the country is just catching up.

T/As have always been recognized as the top-of the line Firebird, so it's not surprising they command higher prices. I recently worked on a 79 T/A that a customer bought last summer for around $14.5k. the car was your typical 79 T/A- black w/ hood bird,403, auto, T-tops, and clean. Not sure I would pay that much for a 403-powered T/A, but clearly people are willing to pay.

Geno
I've turned down more than that for my 403 T/A. I guess it is just what it is worth to whoever is looking. I am glad they are finally being seen as a classic and getting a little respect.

Offline bobspacin80ta

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 10:01:11 PM »
Its also tax time and everyone is spending money. Car prices go up around this time every year.
'80 T/A Indy pace car
'78 Grand Prix
'78 Grand Prix

Offline dewcrazzy

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Bob
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 08:42:55 AM »
not a bad thing if you own one.

Offline iceman

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 08:56:49 AM »
During the last 6 mos. the auction prices have shown some favor towards the 2nd gen F-body. The more original, the better as far as $ goes. It's great if you own one or a few yet tough if you're trying to get into the hobby. I'm sure economy has a little to do with it and the income return $'s being spent yet after the holidays, the market starts to pick up for the up coming season. Another is that the 60's muscle cars are just getting nuts, price wise and folks start looking at alternatives yet the T/A is a great first choice no matter what. Compare a '67 Chevelle SS 396 to a '76 T/A in price. Both equally as nice with good colors and the choice will be yours. Not picking on any particular years, just an example.  Both will be fun to drive(I'd prefer the T/A of course) yet the SS would fetch more $, with a few exceptions... The 2nd gens have a great restoration/performance market avail to back them up and look sweet. These cars will continue to rise. Even 3rd gen cars are picking up due to the 2nd gen increase... It's a thing of beauty
Check out my facebook page: River City Muscle LLC
1969 Pontiac GTO
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport Convertible
1977 Pontiac Trans Am

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 09:34:18 AM »
around here spring they always go up fall they always go down its the guys who dont want to store them for the winter that sell them cheap. guys who try to profit from them sell them in the spring for alot more than they paid.
Too many birds, not enough food.