Author Topic: 1977 stereo wiring on a 79 speaker set up  (Read 2576 times)

Offline medicman

1977 stereo wiring on a 79 speaker set up
« on: July 02, 2011, 01:29:39 PM »
Hey everyone,

I have found a stereo that will fit in my new dash. It is a 1977 stereo but with this comes a few slight problems, I know that the stereo only supports 4 ohms and my speakers in my 79 t/a are 10 ohms and that could damage the drivers in the stereo.

The plug on the stereo 1977 has the basic 5 wires, ground, +12, lamp, R-spkr, and f-spkr.

Here are my questions, 

1) Since my speakers have two wires on each one + and - what do I do with the - wire off each speaker?? Should I gound them to the body? (only thing that makes sense to me)

2) If I join both + speaker wires from the rear to each other, would this reduce the ohms enough for the    stereo to handle??

3) what do I do with the front speaker to reduce it to 4 ohms, I believe it is 10 ohms since it has two wires coming off it also.

4)If I was to buy 4 ohm resistors and tie them into each + wire of the speakers. would that work??

Cheers,

Medicman

Offline kc79ta

Re: 1977 stereo wiring on a 79 speaker set up
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 08:56:17 AM »
The problem is the other way around. It's when the speakers (mostly aftermarket) are 4 ohm, and you hook them into an original factory radio that was made for 10 ohm speakers. If this is the case the fix is simple.

For the rear: (+) from the radio to the (+) of first speaker... (-) of first speaker to (+) of second.. and (-) of second to ground. I recomend all grounds (radio & speakers)  tie at one point to the chassis.

Front: You will need to get a resistor/s to get the ohms at 8 or better. Don't use a small cheapy. Use something like in the link below. I would use 2 wired together in parallel to the (+) of the front speaker, and the (-) to the same point as the other grounds.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=004-10

Other wise running speakers with a higher ohms will not damage anything. It just won't play as loud....Well, unless of course you just kept turning up the volume to try and make it play super loud.
Keith

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 11:13:49 AM »
77 used grounded speakers, 78 and thereafter didn't.  I've never done it, but I would think the ground wire should attach to the speaker at the metal housing....but I'm not sure if there's something unique about the older speakers.  If you try connecting a 78 radio to 77 grounded speakers you'll blow the radio.  I'm not sure about the other way around.

Offline medicman

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 02:20:40 PM »
Ok, I know the speaker are original from 79 and they have two wires and the stereo is from a 77. the 79 speakers are 10ohms.

So what you guys are saying is that the speakers wont hurt the stereo. right?? I guess I have to figure out how to wire a two wire speaker to a single wire stereo.

Hate to kill stereo by wiring the - to the speaker its self. I could not see why it it would not work.

Wounder how I can find out if this will work or not.

Offline medicman

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 03:13:28 PM »
I found this write up on the 70-77 harness, does this make sense?? does anyone have a wiring diagram to confirm it??

http://www.firebirdtransamparts.com/techinfo/harness/optionwire/optionwire.htm#ra

thanks.

Offline kc79ta

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 05:11:11 PM »
The speaker (-) just go to ground. The (+) goes to the radio. The reason I like all the grounds at one point on the chassis is this is this helps cut down on noise. You can ground them anywhere if you like. Do you have 1 or 2 rear speakers as this radio was only made for 1 rear and 1 front. If you have 2 rear you can get that to work as well. Just have to wire a little different.

Using 10 ohm speakers will not hurt anything. I thought they used 10ohms on earlier modles as well. Speakers don't care if the radio is a 1 or 2 wire setup. because the speakers them selfs still have 2 wires going to them (+) to the radio and (-) to a gound that feeds through the chassis to the radio.

Is the 77 radio a stereo or mono? I didn't think the stereo came out till 78?
Keith

Offline medicman

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 12:03:28 PM »
For some reason, Firebirds and Trans Ams used 1960's style radios up to 1977. Trans Ams featured separate console-mounted tape players and single speakers long after the rest of GM had changed. The 70-77 I.P harness only needed two wires to accomodate a radio, for the power and lamp. T

The front speaker used a single green wire (no ground) with a large plug. This plug allowed the IP harness and a rear speaker (if used) to piggyback on it. The rear speaker had two wires (including a ground) which gave a total of 5 wires in this plug. As far as I know the radio was grounded only through its rear brace.

This is what I found on the net about the wiring about the 77 stereo. The part about the rear speaker having two wires confuses me, I thought the 77 did not need a ground to the rear speakers??