Author Topic: TA Values. I know this is a loaded question.....  (Read 4891 times)

Offline Craig

• Black Trans Am
TA Values. I know this is a loaded question.....
« on: May 29, 2007, 05:59:50 PM »
but it seems that prices are all over the board. I know a lot has to do with the condition, but are the NADA Guides prices correct? I don't think I've seen one ever reach the High Retail prices. I also did a search at eBay for completed listings for '78 TA's, and if I remember, out of all the cars returned in my search, only 1 car reached the reserve and sold.

This is a '78 SE, t-top, 4 speed car.

Low:$13,090   Medium:$22,820   High$45,220

I'm wondering because I'm looking at two '78's. One Black auto., one Gold 4-speed. Both need to be restored, both about $6,000. I'm wondering if I dump a ton of money into one of these and I need to sell, will I get hosed. Since I'm not familiar with the prices in the last few years, can someone tell me what has happened, and where (in your best guess) they are going.

I hope this doesn't start an ugly discussion. The same question was posted at the BMW forum I'm on, and it got really ugly.

Thanks,

Craig
Los Angeles, CA
www.BlackTransAm.com
1978 Blk/Blk L78, Auto., 2.56

Offline Gold78Spc

• Ohio Firebirds President 2008
Re: TA Values. I know this is a loaded question.....
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 06:53:01 PM »
On one hand the Black SE is worth more cause its a more desireable color, on the other hand the Gold SE is worth more cause its got the 4-spd.  Both cars have the potential to bring you somewhere in the low to mid 20k's if you do a quality resto on them.  Those cars NADA list in the 40k range are the pristine ultra low mile 100% original cars. 
78 Gold Special Edition TA
96 GMC Sierra
99 Diamondback 18 Spd
00 Ford Windstar
04 Buick Rendezvous
05 Roadmaster tricycle

Keep on Moppin' in the Free world.

Offline 75transam

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 07:11:54 PM »
I was gonna make a post on this same subject.  Well, The first generation cars get top dollar.  It is pretty hard to find a 67-69 project car for under 6-8 grand.  Wether or not the seller gets that amount, that is what they are asking.  I've seen them on ebay go for 25 grand for a nicely done up one.
 The next highest value cars, besides the 70-73 t/a's, would be the 78-81.  It's the Smokey factor.  I saw one 80 ta go for 20 grand.  I thought that was way out there.
 I often check the values on 75's, because I have one and I have never seen one hit double digits, unless it was a 4 speed.  So, basically I'm stuck with my car until I die.
 Overall, the 78's are a good investment

Offline mastiso77

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 07:16:23 PM »
You're right about this being a loaded question. Documentation,mileage,condition,and how rare it is all affect a car's value. Remember supply and demand. We all could talk about this subject all day and still come to different conclusions. I say its a roll of the dice. The having to sell the car if need to is what makes this hard to answer. I was willing to pay alot more for my car because I don't plan on selling it anytime soon.
77 W72 TA
66 IMPALA SS 327
87 OLDS CUTLASS SUPREME
92 GMC 1500 383

Offline wheels78ta

• Worth its weight in Gold
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 07:58:29 PM »
Some of the prices that people pay for these prestine, original cars comes from the wording in their ad....You can buy a brand new GM fan shroud for $55.00....still in the box....factory direct....but I watched one sell on e-bay for over $300 because it listed it as an original 75' fan shroud....they are both the same shroud...GM and brand new...same part numbers.  Go figure      ::)
1978 Y88 W72 WS6 4-SPD 79,000 miles
1987 Chevy K5 Blazer 7.4L Vortec 4x4
2005 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1L Vortec 4x4
2006 Chevy Silverado Z71 5.3L Vortec 4x4

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 09:37:33 PM »
I agree with Ralph in that I don't plan on ever selling mine either...I've let go of too many cars in the past only to find they are now unattainable at today's prices.

I think the prices will continue to rise because their popularity continues to rise. I've noticed parts prices have gone up considerably in just the past 5 years. Eventually the "$$ public" will latch on to something different to drive values up on though. I doubt our cars will decrease in value though just due to the fact that they are officially antiques. The growing scarcity (due to so many current cars continuing to be chopped for parts) of them will keep their values at a nice lofty price. Then again, anything is only worth what a buyer will pay. You also can't overlook the sentimental value of these cars...whether it's your 1st car, one that brings back memories of youth, or simply the first car you bothered to pour blood, sweat, and tears into. I don't bother worrying about the dollar value or resale value of mine....they mean alot more to me than money. (maybe cause I'm broke but I do still have the cars ;))

Of course, I've been wrong before ;D
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Amtrak

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 12:11:11 AM »
If your buying a Trans Am as some kind of investment you are missing the whole point of owning the car. Buy the car you like and pay a price that you will be happy with as if you were never going to sell it!

Offline mastiso77

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 12:27:56 AM »
I remember reading about the big name car builders finding out it was cheaper to find a nice original low mileage car to make into a six figure cookie cutter car. By going that route they save money on time, labor, and materials. I can just imagine what values would be like if all car builders jump on that band wagon and do the same. I agree, if you have a T/A in nice condition, I believe the value can go only one way and that is up. When and how much remains to be seen with time. I'm glad I finally own a T/A to enjoy. MY T/A=PRICELESS. Craig, no one can predict what's gonna happen to you financially if you buy any T/A to restore and have to resell it.
77 W72 TA
66 IMPALA SS 327
87 OLDS CUTLASS SUPREME
92 GMC 1500 383

Offline mastiso77

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 12:29:47 AM »
If your buying a Trans Am as some kind of investment you are missing the whole point of owning the car. Buy the car you like and pay a price that you will be happy with as if you were never going to sell it!
Nicely put!!!!!
77 W72 TA
66 IMPALA SS 327
87 OLDS CUTLASS SUPREME
92 GMC 1500 383

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 07:46:30 PM »
The car that you had listed at the NADA values was a 1978 SE 4 speed which there was only 20 of those made..... which is why the value of that car is listed at $45,220.  I always tell people when they ask me this question... "The car is worth whatever the next guy is willing to pay for it".  Basically, some people have a better attachement or memory to s certain car and they are willing to pay more for a certain car than the next guy.  Kinda like what some of the guys said above..... there is no price for sentimenntal value on a car.  I would not sell my car for $50,000.... but do you think anyone would be willing to spend $50,000 on a plain jane 1978 Trans Am..... probably not.  But again, sometimes you have people out there that have more money than brains.  We see it all the time when one car sells for thousands more than what any of us thought it would sell for.  Why?.... because whoever purchased that car.... that is what hewas willing to pay for it for some reason or another.  Most of it is the buyer, but sometimes it is the seller like stated above with that fan shroud.  There are some sellers out there that look to rape people of their money because of certain wording or describing something in such a way that causes the buyer to think that he REALLY NEEDS that part because it is sooo hard to find.  Some people call that "Salesmanship"... I call it "Scam-manship".

Anyway, I was getting off of the subject there.  These cars are worht whatever you are willing to pay for the car.  If it is something you really want and don't plan on selling it, then does it matter that much what he is asking for it?  If you are buying the car to sell it... well, that is a different story.  If you take a look at alot of the websites out there like Ebay, Classical Pontiac, Classic Car Trader, etc.... you can usually get a rouhg idea of what cars are selling for.  The prices go up every day and eveyday we see some car out there sell for more than the last one.  Then again, we see those cars that sell for THOUSANDS above what they should go for because again, we have the guy with more money than brains.  I know alot of guys who have that sickness and you would not believe what some of these guys pay for the cars and what they pay to restore them.  But again, it is worth it to them.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am