Author Topic: who is build a bandit and were to buy a 79 trans am from?  (Read 13806 times)

Offline australian trans am

who is build a bandit and were to buy a 79 trans am from?
« on: February 08, 2011, 09:55:29 PM »
hi all i was looking to buy a 79 trans am and was put onto this build a bandit guy but its in the us and i live in australia and was wondering if you guys no anything about him as in if hes legit or not and also on the chance he isnt legit or theres a better deal do you know were to find a 79 trans am in america thats in a good way to buy.
 any advice would be much appriciated cheers.

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
Re: who is build a bandit and were to buy a 79 trans am from?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 10:52:18 PM »
Stay away......FAR AWAY!
"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."

Offline Trans am Oz

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 12:51:19 AM »
What state are you from mate?
There's a couple of us Aussies on this forum (mostly Mexicans aka Victorians) who could help you out including me ;D
Imho dont go any where  near the bandit dudes unless you want to lose your dacks or worse ::)

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 11:20:26 AM »
There's simply no way you're getting a quality resto for $15k. I got a very sweet deal on my paint alone which normally runs $10k+ from Muscle Car Alley. I know I have about $2k into my interior alone. So do you really think you're getting quality workmanship on any rust or suspension or engine/tranny work for $3k??? **I have $4k in my motor alone so going off that number, they just lost $1k. There's simply no way they could stay in business loosing money like that.

Corners are being cut at this puppy mill and the results haven't been pretty.

Best advice, like everyone else, stay FAR, FAR away.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline australian trans am

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 05:57:45 PM »
thanks guys yea didnt seem to legit. haha victorians, from nsw sydney mate. whats the best way to buy a 79 then im thinking of getting it from america cause its cheeper and the dollars fair good lately does anyone now were to buy a good white trans am from?

Offline Billward94

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 12:51:09 PM »
I am pleased to post this follow up retraction to my August 23 post.  After addressing my concerns with the Build-A-Bandit group over the past few weeks, they have honored my request for a full refund, which I understand is against their company policy.  So at least for me, I have been satisfied with the resolution of this matter.

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 01:03:34 PM »
thats good news
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline jgodar

• Build A Bandit Survivor..kinda
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 11:48:24 AM »
I have been reading the post about BUILD a BANDIT and was very concerned. I have been in the market for a 79 TA and spoke to them starting about a year ago.

I am not a car buff, (as of yet) and had a smaller budget for a nice driver. So when I found their auction on ebay I called them. This sounded like a great deal for a rebuilt car. I did not buy then as I was not in the mood to wait a year for a car.

Now that I looked around for almost a year and could not find the car I wanted, I called them back! I also called and emailed many other custom shops so I know what they charge and the time it takes for a quality rebuild.

No one came close to Build A Bandits deal. I know it is not an off frame job and the quality will not be a $30,000 job. But I just want to drive a nice car on the weekends.

I did speak to Bob about some of these post and he addressed every one. They build many cars. I also called and spoke to 3-4 current and past buyers. They all had great things to say about their cars, quality, price and service. They all did say it takes time.

I also called about 10 references in the trade. His banker, suppliers, etc. All had good things to say.

So the last thing I did was to go visit him at his shop. Bob meet me on a Sunday and I also got to meet some of his family. He showed me about 6 cars in the process of being completed and this was the finish shop. If i can get any of these cars he had in the shop for the price I am paying, I will be thrilled!

I signed his contract and gave him a check. Now we will see! I will be happy to post here what my experience will be. Either I will be happy with a new 79 TA in a year or so or if this is a scam, you will be hearing it first straight from the horse mouth!

I feel I did everything possible to check Bob out at Build A Bandit and meeting him made me feel MUCH better! I believe in doing business with people I can see and shake their hands.

I took these pics myself and I have no affiliation with Bob or Build A Bandit. I just wanted to tell my story and see how they do in the next year! I will keep you posted!!

Offline jgodar

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 11:56:03 AM »
78 Rebuild in BUILD A BANDIT shop on my visit on Oct 2, 2011.. looked good to me!

[attachment deleted by admin, over 90 days old]

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 12:54:48 PM »
I don't have any experience with this shop personally but I've heard stories from both sides of the fence of customer satisfaction. I look forward to a happy ending post down the line...complete with pictures.

I will add that usually an upfront hefty deposit is a red flag for me. Typically a business should be able to bring their product to market with customer financing being required. If a company has been in business for any length of time and is well established they should only require a minimal deposit considering they hold the commodity and basically should still be able to sell that asset if the customer backs out. I understand that his cars are somewhat made to customer specs but a customer should not have to fork out a wad of cash prior to getting the ball rolling.

I could understand better if he gave you a bill of sale with a VIN number.

Ask yourself what is involved to get my hard earned deposit back should he fold/go out of business. At what point do I own something tangible that I can go load on a trailer should he stall or quit working on your car? Small claims court is a joke and furthermore its your expense. As a bonus if the company owns nothing you get nothing but a judgement filed against them. That translates to a piece of paper that confirms what you already knew....they owe me money. LOL

Like I said I don't have any personal experience with BAB but I have read posts of satisfaction/dissatisfaction and looks like from your post you have too and that explains why you did all the research and detective work. The reason I posted this is because there is no worse feeling than watching your money and dreams being scammed away from you and all you can do is watch. Lots of folks who do the "homework", "meet and greet", "handshake" and feel they are an excellent judge of character get duped all the time...so document everything and keep your guard up and have a "what if" plan.

Personally I'd like to see all bodyshops required to be bonded. At least then you could file a a claim against their bond.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline jgodar

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 01:59:14 PM »
Great feedback...I agree with some type of bonding but it is just not out there now. With long distance buying of cars and any business it is risky..Seeing on this board and talking to BAB about some refunds of cars they gave, when they clearly state no refunds, was a good sign to me. Nothing is bullet proof. I do understand that.

I run my businesses online and make my living off reviews of real estate and vacation rentals. So I have many customers that simply have to pay me and trust my homes are there and what i say when they show up. Some people get scammed every year by rip off artist in this field too! Hate to see it in any industry. That is why places like this do so well... we get to voice our opinions in the free market here!

BAB does offer a pay as you go plan at a higher price. SO it is a decision a buyer needs to make, pay more with more security and see how it goes or save a great deal of money on a pre-pay. You decide.

I do plan to document the whole build here just to share my experience. Can't wait to have more info to post! Thanks for the feedback...

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 02:14:17 PM »
Awesome. Look forward to the build.
On a side note...if your online business ever fails perhaps you could be a spokesman for BAB.  ;D You sure are giving them quite a showcase on here and I hope they don't do anything to force you to know the taste of crow. Keep them pics coming!!!
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline jgodar

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 02:30:31 PM »
Never liked CROW!! LOL...I hear you... I plan to be 100% honest on how this build goes.. I am happy so far with my research and the folks at BAB, but we are just getting started.. I will be asking them for more pics as we get going.. may be some time for that to happen, but I will post them and give feedback here...

my last decision is do I go with the 4 peed manual or automatic...decisions, decisions...thoughts?

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 04:35:03 PM »
good luck with this build.   
as for and auto or 4 speed.   if your in a city with alot of stop and go driving the auto trans is the way to go.  put it in gear and cruse.   but if you like/love the 4 gear ( theres nothing cooler then a 4 speed)  and knowing it'll rarely see 3rd gear in town . and you'll be on that clutch alot and your leg will get a workout.
on the highway the 4speed is a blast.  but with the lower lower gear it'll drink some gas, and you'll hear the rearend.
a highway gear with a 4 speed isnt a good combo (my.02)  you'll loose torque in the take off from a stand still. 
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED