Author Topic: steering column  (Read 3506 times)

Offline T/A Kid

steering column
« on: September 08, 2012, 08:18:35 PM »
I bought a steering column and the problem is when I put the steering wheel on I have too much wobble In the steering
wheel. When I take it apart it seems that the steering shaft has pulled back towards the driver letting the bearing race
lose contact with the plastic caged bearing.
I can't find a good diagram of all the parts that's suppose to be there or if something is suppose to hold the shaft in the
column I appreciate any help.

In memory of my big brother Jimmy
miss ya everyday bud.

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
Re: steering column
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 09:11:30 PM »
This is a tilt column right?

There's a spring in there that gets compressed and held in by a special 3/4 inch snap ring. The snap ring holds a plate that compresses the spring that pushes down in the bearing. You actually need a steering wheel puller in order to remove/install.

When I rebuilt my column last winter my snap ring was chewed up. I ended up making a new one from a spring. No one sells that plain snap ring new that I could find.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 10:08:55 PM »
This thread over at TAC is pretty useful for steering column rebuilds, includes photos: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24962.0
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline T/A Kid

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 10:20:09 PM »
I think I'm missing the metal looking cap that fit's over the race, Angelo thanks for the link that is a big help!!
In memory of my big brother Jimmy
miss ya everyday bud.

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 10:51:56 PM »
If you get it all back together and the collar/wheel section flop around then it may be the bowl bolts inside the column that keeps the tilt section tight.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 11:15:26 PM »
I'd definitely rebuild it, if it's missing parts it can be very unsafe to drive.

My column had those 4 screws loose, I could move it in all directions, only thing it didn't do was telescope! I used blue loctite and torqued to spec those 4 bolts, I hope to never re-visit the inside of that column again.

Offline badcar2

Shift bowl removal from inner tube
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 07:35:43 PM »
Can't seem how to figure out how to get shift bowl off of inner tube. Is it pressed on, and is there a special puller for that?