Author Topic: Non a/c blower motor relay  (Read 1751 times)

Offline OrangeCrush79

Non a/c blower motor relay
« on: March 01, 2018, 08:45:06 PM »
Sorry that I'm picking this up again after so much time has passed. I had to deal with some family issues and that as you know come first. After trying to chase that problem of why my blower motor not turning on, I finally just took it to a trusted mechanic. He found that the problem is a bad relay. Turns out that on a non a/c Trans Am, the relay is attached inside the dash next to the glove box. There is a 3 prong plug and a single prong plug. The 3 prong connects to fan speed switch and the single prong connects to the rear window defogger switch. The relay is GM part # 527361 and it was made in Canada.
    Here's my problem; I checked many parts catalogs and can't find a replacement. I don't know if the a/c relays will work on a non a/c car. Does anyone have this problem and what did you do?

Offline Stringer

Re: Non a/c blower motor relay
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 09:27:35 PM »
Have you checked classicindustries.com?  They have several types. 

https://www.classicindustries.com/shop/all-years/pontiac/firebird/parts/?q=Blower%20Motor%20Relay

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 11:10:07 PM »
Try your local auto parts stores...I got mine at O"Reilly's
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 05:32:33 PM »
rock auto has them.  do you need the relay or the resistor.  the 3 prong connects to the resistor & thats what controls the blower motor fan speeds.

rockauto.com
78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 06:45:47 AM »
I haven't seen a relay for anything but fan with AC, but I haven't looked either. Are you saying it uses the same relay as the rear window defogger? If that's the case then every Firebird being parted out has one, even without either option. Otherwise it's GM #10026262

Offline OrangeCrush79

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 02:22:41 PM »
Hello everyone, Thank you for your replies. First of all, I found the correct relay for a non-a/c from Ames Performance. Part No. # FM366V for a 1978-1980 Blower Cut Out Relay, 4 Terminal (RE).
   While inspecting the wiring, my mechanic informed me that something was wrong and that he had to rewire this harness around the blower switch. He told me that he straightened it out and now it works. He said that he included a 25 amp fuse to the power line to the blower switch. He said that I was losing ground to the relay so he added a wire to ground. He now states that it works fine now.
     And yes, there is a 3 prong plug that connects to the relay. 2 prongs are vertical and 1 is horizontal. There is also another prong separate by itself and this is the connection to the rear window defogger switch.
   And yes again, I happen to have an extra interior wire harness from an A/C car and it did have this relay next to the glove box. So I guess, all cars have this relay.
    I'm looking forward to having heat again in my car!