Author Topic: Air Conditioning Components  (Read 8907 times)

Offline 81 Turbo SE

Air Conditioning Components
« on: May 10, 2006, 09:37:55 PM »
A shop is switching my 81 Turbo Trans AM over to R134 and they say components are hard to find.  Does anyone know where to purchase a new A/C "lines" and "dryer" with a "J-tube"?   Also, they're installing my heater core and they say some bit that attaches a cable to the flap that opens the defroster has broken... I guess I need a new one of those too.  Any ideas?
1 Turbo Trans AM SE and 84 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham Coupe

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: Air Conditioning Components
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 09:40:58 AM »
You can get just about anything on ebay.  I assume you're talking about the cable from the defroster slide switch to the top of the heater box.  Yeah, bet you they broke it pulling the heater box out.  I bet that little heater core job is going to cost you.  Make sure they check the orange vacuum line coming out of the heater box....that one goes bad.  I had to replace mine.  Also, make sure they attach the ground strap to the heater core fastener or you'll be replacing it again soon.  It's easy to forget.  You may have to buy another heater box to get that part that the cable hooks up to....I've forgotten what it looks like....but there is no way it breaks by itself.  I bet they missed it and pulled the box out and ooopppsss!  The cable just unscrews.  

If you can't find A/C lines you can have them made.  Try looking in the repo catalogs.  Or, you can contact salvage yards....GM sports in San Jose may have that stuff.....I going there this morning and I'll check it out.

The dryer is available in parts places as is the compressor.

Offline 81 Turbo SE

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 09:37:28 PM »
You know your stuff ta78w72.  Your exactly right about the defroster slide switch.  They admitted it was their fault.  They did what they could with JB Weld and will replace it for me if I can locate the part.  It's done now so I'll ask them if they checked the vacuum line and ground.

The price did not seem too bad?  I brought it to them with no carpet, console or seats (except the driver seat). I provided the heater core with all new hoses and they charged me $375.00 to r/r the heater core and change me over to R134.

I'll jump on ebay.  Thanks a TON!

Offline Eagle 1

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 09:45:28 PM »
Im kind of in the same boat.  I need the hoses that attach to the back of the compressor, the "ac muffler" and the line that comes out to the condensor.  If anybody knows where I can get these or has some for sale please contact me at eagles5@centex.net.
Thanks.
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 09:46:50 PM »
Not a bad price for all of that work.  Was it the piece on the heater box that broke, or the piece on the end of the cable that's attached to the slider switch?  You many need to replace the heater box as I've forgotten how that cable fastens to it.

Also, if the inner wheelhouse is still off, you're better off replacing the blower motor at this time too.  You can get one just like the original ones at Classic.

Offline Eagle 1

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 09:52:12 PM »
I'm guessing  the piece on the end of the cable that's attached to the slider switch. :wink:

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 09:49:05 AM »
As far as the A/C hoses go, you can take the old one to a shop and have a new one made.  They do a fairly good job

Offline Eagle 1

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 01:56:39 PM »
Thats the problem.  I dont have the old ones.   The original owner took them off after the AC quit working and dont remember what happened to them.  I have managed to come up with most of the brackets.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 09:47:59 PM »
The A/C on my formula stopped working about two years after I bought the car.  The bearing in the compressor seized up.  I cut the belt and drove the car for another twenty years without the A/C working.  But I certainly didn't start throwing out the A/C system!  Makes you wonder what people are thinking.  

You might be able to find the hoses on ebay.  Or, if you're running out of idea's and places to look, try GM sports in San jose, although it would be tough to buy an old hose that probably doesn't work and have it shipped.

http://www.gmsports.com/

Offline 81 Turbo SE

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 07:31:15 PM »
Thanks for all the help!  The piece that broke is the little plastic connector on the end of the cable.  I'll hunt one down.  The J-tube and parts were suggested by the shop but a line was siezed on so we left the original in place.  Regardless, it gets real cold now!  Unless I have a slow leak someplace it should be OK for years to come.  Yes, I did have a new blower motor put in while it was apart.  I can't believe how much more airflow I get.  In retrospect, the old motor was pretty loud and probably ready to go out at any minute.  Regarding the A/C manifold, mine seems OK and the guys at the shop said they would rather leave them until they leak.  However, call me crazy but I think the same A/C unit and lines were probably used on many models each year.  You could probably pull lines off a same year Chevy, Olds or Buick with the same compressor and have them remanfactured to what ever length you need, as long and the manifold and ends are the same you should be good-to-go.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2006, 09:12:02 PM »
cool im parting out an 81 t/a all the a/c lines are there but no compressor ? u need anything...????
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Eagle 1

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 11:39:30 AM »
Quote from: eroc022
cool im parting out an 81 t/a all the a/c lines are there but no compressor ? u need anything...????

Yea I need the lines that come out of the back of the compressor, the ac muffler, and the line that comes out of the muffler and hooks to the condensor.  I also need the top part that secures the ac muffler.  I have the bottom piece that attatches it to the fender well.
Email me at Eagles5@centex.net.  Maybe we can work a deal.
Thanks.