Author Topic: convert sand blaster to soda blaster  (Read 10194 times)

Offline 78ta

• The 8 track and gauge/stereo console adapter guy.
convert sand blaster to soda blaster
« on: July 25, 2009, 07:15:11 AM »
Ok. I've searched quite a while tonight trying to figure out if I could use my pressure sand blaster to blast with soda. Guys on a couple boards said it worked fine. Others said it won't work at all including a supposed representative from Eastwood who appeared on one of the boards to answer questions about it.

Eastwood now offers a pressure soda blasting outfit that looks exactly like a standard pressure sand blaster except for a small retrofit consisting of a couple of brass T's, a couple shut off valves and a clear vinyl hose that seemingly goes no where in all of their pictures of the unit. That's what's driving me crazy. What does that hose go to?

The Eastood rep mentioned that part of the reason that soda wouldn't go through a standard sand blaster was inconsistant flow of the media. I'm wondering if the added hose is to add pressurized air flow to the point at which the soda drops from the pot. The only problem with that theory is that the hose isn't a typical compressor air hose. It's just a clear vynil reinforced hose like you have on your kitchen sink sprayer at home.

Please check these pics of the unit and the "special" retrofit kit they sell for $129 and see if you can figure out what the clear hose goes to. If we can do that, it would save those of us that want to convert our blasters $100. The parts probably cost less than $20 at Home Depot.

The first pic shows their new combo blaster. The pot on the right is the soda blasting pot with the clear mystery hose on it.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 07:17:35 AM by 78ta »
Randy

Offline Dangling Unit

Re: convert sand blaster to soda blaster
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 12:46:34 PM »
I talked with an owner of a customs & classics restoration shop and he said stay away from soda blasting. To neutralize the soda, you have to thoroughly rinse with water, and we all know what happens when water gets on bare metal. This makes sense, because soda is sodium bicarbonate. Sodium is an electrolyte and will cause corrosion if not removed from the surface.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 05:44:46 PM »
google chesapeake soda blasting, that guy should be able to inform you some, im sure it can be done, and it should be neutralized with soapy  water....vineagar is another neutralizing substance but if you want check out the dupont blasting materials, good price, and not corrosive
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Dangling Unit

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 05:58:47 PM »
I also heard it's not abrasive enough to remove corrosion.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 06:03:25 PM »
no it neutralizes rust,its still best to cut and remove any rust or corrosion
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline 78ta

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 07:31:35 PM »
I've heard that soda is best used to remove paint, primer and light surface rust. It will NOT remove rust that is bad enough that it has caused pitting of the metal. You'll have to use something more harsh to remove rust from down in the pitted areas.

My main question is still what the H3ll does that clear hose connect to?!?!?
Randy

Offline RRR76TA

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 08:28:58 PM »
Just there for show ,to keep everyone asking what it's there for

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 10:38:32 AM »
That hose looks like it's just for releasing tank pressure to the atmosphere.
Steve F.

Offline 78ta

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 01:44:57 PM »
That hose looks like it's just for releasing tank pressure to the atmosphere.
I thought about that but two things came to mind.
1. There's a built in pop off valve in the top of the tank.
2. Why have a hose? The valve is there. Just open the valve.

That hose connects to something....I'll cal EW monday but I doubt they'll be very forthcoming with any real information.

They claim to have come up with a soda that doesn't dissolve (instantly anyway) in water. It has a coating on it. And some of the soda blasters I've seen have had mister attachments to spray water at the blast point in order to keep dust down. I wonder if that hose is a way to introduce water into the stream?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 01:49:20 PM by 78ta »
Randy

Offline Dangling Unit

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 06:05:30 PM »
You don't want the valve to discharge excess pressure in the direction anyone is standing. Hence the hose that will vent it down.

Offline harmonpa

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 09:28:30 AM »
Its not ideal but you can use a regular pressure sandblaster with soda (not a siphon blaster)  you will want to use minimal amount of soda at a time so it doesn't clump.  It won't work as well as a dedicated soda blaster which will have a unique outlet valve to allow media to flow and an agitator to help keep the soda from sticking together.. 

https://www.pittsburghsprayequip.com/2017/10/24/soda-blast-regular-sandblaster-complete-guide/

Offline lostcamaro

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 12:44:17 AM »
 I have  A commercial soda  blaster and sandblaster very nice units soda is 100 pound pot  in the sandblaster in a 300 pound   I would take $6500 for both the soda Blaster  bite self is 10,000 new  just throwing it out there if anybody's interested