Author Topic: Classic Industries Power Window Wiring  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Transatrom

Classic Industries Power Window Wiring
« on: September 14, 2015, 09:20:33 PM »
This topic is about the replacement wiring harness that goes from the connection at the kick panel through the door jamb flex hose to the power window motor.  Mine had been cut on both doors and relays mounted inside the door.  It was a bad choice to locate the relays where they would be susceptable to moisture and had two of the four (up/down X2) fail.  So I am bringing it back to stock and ordered the wiring harness for both doors.  Upon replacing them I was startled to see the replacement harness was about two guages smaller that the existing factory wiring.  I checked the guage of the wiring harness from the center console to these connection points and it too is much larger so I have to believe the harness being supplied by Classic Industries is improperly/incorrect.  The blue/light brown color is correct and the connector ends properly mate to the motor and to the connections behind both the passenger and driver kick panels.

I'm going to call Classic Industries tomorrow and inquire why they are selling a much smaller guage wiring harness given this is the voltage carrying wires.

Anyone else noticed this?  I ask becuase the guage of the wire is important for current carrying capability.

I can post pictures if anyone is interested, and doesn't want to make the same mistake by purchasing through Classic Industries.  That way you can see for yourself, and currently with my knowledge would not recommend this product through them.  At least at this point in time.

v/r
Dave

Offline Transatrom

Re: Classic Industries Power Window Wiring ***Update***
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 04:39:36 PM »
Classic Industries was unable to assist but provided the prime vendor "American Auto Wire" phone number as they outsource the harness.  American Auto Wire was extremely helpful and verified via the drawings that they indeed build the harness to 14 Guage as the OEM technical drawings show.  The reason the wire is so much smaller is they use GXL wiring which is used for high temperature environments such as the engine compartment.  If you bend the OEM wiring it turns white at the bend point, GXL wiring does not and when suscepted to heat does not drip like a leaking faucet and very durable against abrasion/damage.

So, glad I checked on it the wiring harness is certainly up to specification standards and Classic Industries has chosen a proper vendor for a source of supply.

v/r
Dave

Offline tribute

Re: Classic Industries Power Window Wiring
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 07:57:28 PM »
Thanks for sharing your findings. 
421 Powered '77 TA