Author Topic: Dash Board Cap  (Read 2409 times)

Offline blackbeauty79

Dash Board Cap
« on: September 01, 2016, 04:49:21 PM »
I have a 79' TA..I am looking to get a dash board cap for it, to cover small imperfections. What is recommended for a cap? The original color of the car is camel-tan and I am changing it to black.

Thanks for your inputs!

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Dash Board Cap
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 04:43:23 PM »
If it doesn't fit perfectly you will end up with visible camel tan around edges and vent holes.

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 05:47:36 PM »
On my 81 (and on my buddy's old 80 dash as well) Palco brand dash cover fits like a glove. The AccuFoam band fits like crap. Ref: http://www.78ta.com/HTAF/index.php?topic=41091.15

I had to change my dash from tan to black as well. I first used SEM paint landau black and painted at the inside corners and at the ends and ax vents in the ends. This way the old dash parts that are exposed match the cover. You will want to also paint the cover with the same paint otherwise the sheen will be a little different. I also finished my dash with cap with low luster clear, also from SEM. I got pics on my blog. http://www.modsandrods.tv/2013/05/28/project-trans-am-for-april-2013-interior-and-wiring/
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline Tyler

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 08:25:55 AM »
I got mine on ebay. Here is my car's FB page so you can see the cap I did.

https://www.facebook.com/1976-Trans-Am-page-1748475662085635/?ref=bookmarks
Speed limits are for everyone else!

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 09:39:38 AM »
Wow your dash looks great. Love the radio too, I remember having an "audiovox" radio I put in my 82 Grand Prix. it was very similar, it had three very thin vertical switches as an equalizer (didn't do much then). What drove me nuts was trying to keep it clean at the preset buttons. Would be so cool to find that very radio and put it in my trans am.

I would love to learn more about the bezel and the magic eraser?
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline Tyler

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 04:05:34 PM »
I think a smoker owned my car at one point and the bezel was discolored. I removed the black trim rings and scrubbed the bezel with a magic eraser sponge. It worked very well. I repainted the rings black satin.

I bought that Realistic radio new years ago. It was in a 79 TATA I once owned and it has been sitting on a shelf in my shop for a long long time. Amazingly,everything works on it perfectly. I need a factory trim plate for it. Realistic used to make some real good stuff but those days are gone. I have a Realistic 100 watt amp I'll put in my car eventually. Kinda keeps the stereo time period correct,lol.

Offline Tyler

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 04:10:00 PM »
Almost forgot. I colored the dash cap with dye from O'reilly's and then I applied professional grade clear coat. I never need to armoral the dash now I just wipe it clean.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 04:37:39 PM »
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 04:39:35 PM by Aus78Formula »