Author Topic: 1978 Trans Am Steering Wheel Restoration  (Read 2046 times)

Offline makamer

1978 Trans Am Steering Wheel Restoration
« on: March 23, 2017, 04:15:23 PM »
A couple years back I sent my steering wheel to be refinished by a "reputable" restorer that restores dashes.  He sanded the spokes, thereby removing the graining, and painted them black.  It was supposed to be a coating similar to the black anodizing that would show the grain in the spokes.  I was really upset because this is a low mileage car and I just had my perfect wheel messed up.  I have lived with it but now am on the search again as to who could fix the graining on the spokes and coat it properly. 

Does anyone have anyone they can recommend?

Thanks!

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: 1978 Trans Am Steering Wheel Restoration
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 10:52:03 PM »
Firstly, graining of the spokes. They are blackened aluminium, do you mean the brushed look? Secondly, if it's that bad I'd start over, sounds like it would cost more than replacement anyway.

Offline makamer

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 11:26:26 PM »
Yes I mean the brushed spokes.  My problem is that this is a low mileage 78 and the steering wheel is perfect otherwise.  I am just hoping to find someone that can refinish the spokes and recoat so that it looks like original.  When I started that is what I was promised.  Just trying to fix my mistake of choosing this guy.

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 10:41:34 AM »
I never heard anyone that does the spokes. Wrapping in leather, yes, spokes no. Find another wheel, better yet, leave your interior alone on a low mile car. 
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches