Author Topic: Wiper arm removal  (Read 1485 times)

Offline OD_Simple

Wiper arm removal
« on: March 27, 2017, 07:49:32 PM »
I've searched high and low.  I've searched previous threads but the threads I've come across, the poster figured it out which only proves how inept I am.

I know there is a spline and I know there is a tab I need to either push, pull or slide.

Can someone provide a better explanation?

Thank you,
Andrew

"It shall not pass this way again."

Offline OD_Simple

Well.  I figured it out.  How typical.

If you're reading this and ran in to the same problem as I here are a few tips/tricks and overview.

1.  First thing you SHOULD do is remove the hood for this.  It may sound extreme but mine was already off.  I cannot imagine doing this on a 76 T/A with the factory chrome trim without removing the hood.

2.  Next, grab some electrical tape and mask your windshield to defend against your tool that you will be torquing on endlessly and carelessly.  This won't be easy.

3.  Grab a flat head screw driver, the largest ended flat head you have.

4.  Approach your car.  Belt removed, watch removed.

5.  With the wiper bases (2) STILL attached to the cowl (do not remove the three retaining bolts or this will be impossible extend the passenger wiper up to it's extreme range of motion.

6.  There is a small tab (on a '76 T/A at least) that is supposed to relieve tension on the spine of the wiper hub but these cars are 40+ years old now and your wiper arms have likely never been removed before so the tab no longer serves any purpose in this world...  Take your screw driver and wedge it against the wiper hub base and turn it like you would a motorcycle throttle.  Millimeter by millimeter with each torque you 'do' the arm will slowly lift off of the hub.

7.  Remember to have the arm at its highest point allowed (all three inches of lateral movement because there is a spring the I'm assuming still has some tension and only serves to apply pressure against the hub.

8.  Be careful and take your time not to slip.  Your windshield is a pricey lad.

You're welcome.

"It shall not pass this way again."

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Wiper arm removal
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 05:31:16 AM »
You can also get wiper removal tools.