Author Topic: power steering pump pulley  (Read 2145 times)

Offline ski27fever

• At a local cruise night
power steering pump pulley
« on: October 11, 2014, 07:42:41 AM »
 ??? need a technical tip on how to remove the power steering pulley on a 1977 trans am,my 1971 t/a has style where a large nut scews on the pump shaft and holds the pulley on.ok,the 77 is diff.it has what appears to be an allen wrench type bolt but for the life of me I cant break loose? Is this pulley pressed on?has anyone ever took this off?thanks

Offline 461 stroker transam

Re: power steering pump pulley
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 11:04:45 PM »
I know the 79 and 80 is pressed on. 77 should be as well I would think. you just need to borrow the tool kit from a local parts store. I used one from oreilleys.
it's pretty self explanatory once you get the kit in your hands, but there are also a few videos on youtube that show step by step.

you use the tool to pull off the pulley, and to press it on to the new pump.

Offline NOT A TA

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 11:10:02 PM »
Yes it's an interference fit and you need a pulley removal/installation tool to remove or press it on.
John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X

Offline ski27fever

• At a local cruise night
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 09:53:52 AM »
thanks for the tips guys.I didnt realize they made a special puller for these,and now have purchased one from harbor freight (cheap Chinese made) but it worked.