Author Topic: '75 Heater Hose Question  (Read 1831 times)

Offline redvettemike

'75 Heater Hose Question
« on: September 03, 2008, 07:05:58 AM »
I am making some progress on the '75 t/a that I am restoring. I have a question about the rear heater hose. There is a hose fitting on the rear of the passenger side cylinder head. The hose evidently should be attached there and then run to the fitting on the firewall. Is that correct? It seems that the hose interferes with the vacuume advance on the distributor. A 1980 Assembly Manual shows that the hose fitting might be on the driver's side head. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
Re: '75 Heater Hose Question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 09:26:52 AM »
Here are a few pics of that hose your asking about.  Mine goes around the evaporator ...

Rich

Offline redvettemike

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 02:55:24 PM »
Thanks for those pictures. Can you advise if the rear heater hose comes out of the head on the driver's side or out of the passenger side? . Thanks. 

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 03:44:27 PM »
If we are still talking about the same hose, mine connects to the head if I remember right, on the passenger side. I don't have any hoses hooked to my drivers side head HOWEVER, I am not running a stock setup.  I have a '77 400 in my '75 with aftermarket parts and all the smog stuff removed.  I don't think that makes a difference but let's wait for Rick to chime in here, I'll PM him and tell him to come over here.
Rich

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 11:16:23 PM »
I just got back from Michigan tonight, guys, and I'm pretty wiped right now but I'll try to get out to the garage tomorrow and check on this.  My setup is exactly as the factory had it, because although I'm on engine #3 I took great pains to keep all that stuff setup just like it was originally. ;)

Offline pat

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 09:40:49 AM »
you must be hard on cars to need to replace 3 engines
I just got back from Michigan tonight, guys, and I'm pretty wiped right now but I'll try to get out to the garage tomorrow and check on this.  My setup is exactly as the factory had it, because although I'm on engine #3 I took great pains to keep all that stuff setup just like it was originally. ;)
speed kills drive a ford and live forever

Offline norwood

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 10:21:30 AM »
 ALL PONTIAC V8 have the fitting on the Passenger side head....unless someone put the heads on the wrong side.   You fail to mention if you have air or not.

OUR DAY IS COMING SOON

Offline redvettemike

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
That answers my question. My car does not have air. I see now how the hose has to make a pretty sharp turn to get from engine to firewall. Thanks for all's help.