Author Topic: '79 T/A project  (Read 3746 times)

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
Re: '79 T/A project
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 03:43:22 PM »
No problemo.

Looks like your car came with the ever popular "Fred Flintstone" floorboards. They're awfully popular these days - even my Y88 had them. ;)

I'd run PHS on the car to see if its a SE car. It has the markings of one from what I can see BUT those are easy changes for any owner to "fake/clone/tribute/whatnot" these days.

With an engine for $200? Darn and I thought I did good on a base firebird with no drivetrain for $400 but its mostly rust free - or at least in the important areas it is! We won't discuss the A pillars or the cowl which both need to be addressed.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline dewcrazzy

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Bob
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 04:00:46 PM »
Black with the red/orange bird would look really good. Here's a page with one on it, along with many other 79 color combos. The black with red/orange is toward the bottom of the page: http://tran-zam.com/1979TAGallery.htm
nice page with great info.

Offline buzzkiller

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 10:42:52 PM »
Another one saved. Well done sir!

Offline IdahoDirtFarmer

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 05:03:38 AM »
No problemo.

Looks like your car came with the ever popular "Fred Flintstone" floorboards. They're awfully popular these days - even my Y88 had them. ;)

I'd run PHS on the car to see if its a SE car. It has the markings of one from what I can see BUT those are easy changes for any owner to "fake/clone/tribute/whatnot" these days.

With an engine for $200? Darn and I thought I did good on a base firebird with no drivetrain for $400 but its mostly rust free - or at least in the important areas it is! We won't discuss the A pillars or the cowl which both need to be addressed.

I think Ol' Freddy must have pulled Employee of the month a few times at the factory in the 70's.  ;D

About seven years ago that was kind of the running price on birds around here. It was rare to find one not restored for over about a grand. Now a car like this usually runs about $1500-$2000. There is a base model right now on Craigslist with decent paint and the guy is firm on $10,000.   http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/2441428761.html      Very very slim chance he will get that in these parts. There is also a basket case '79 T/A with a 454 non running in it for $2,000 firm. But every now and then ya see one for a decent price. Those ya try to jump on before someone else does. There was a '79 T/A a couple months ago on craigslist that ran for $800. Never saw a picture but I called about thirty minutes after it was posted and it was sold already. Currently there is a '79 Formula with the interior removed but there, one small patch of rust in a front fender and an old 428 in it for $600. If I have the time I might try and go look at it but it is about 5 hours away. Things are kind of all over the place in this area.
'74 T/A project
'79 T/A Y84 (really rough project)
'79 esprit (making T/A clone)
'79 T/A Solar Gold daily driver
'91 Formula

Offline Frode_skj

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 04:17:26 PM »
Looks like a nice project:) will be nice to see another one getting saved :)
"79 Trans Am tenth Anniversary Edition"
"81 Turbo Trans Am"
Sad to see that people part out T\A's :( especially saveable ones