Author Topic: any musicians familiar with MIDI here?  (Read 3895 times)

Offline Helter80

any musicians familiar with MIDI here?
« on: October 30, 2008, 11:20:02 PM »
is there any fellow T/A owners here that are also musicians that are familiar with MIDI? i was wondering, if when i am using a keyboard MIDI controller, if i can play two MIDI instruments at the same time, but using the same MIDI keyboard controller.
i guess kinda like making half of the keys on the keyboard assigned to one MIDI instrument, and the other half of the keyboard assigned to a 2nd MIDI instrument. i can't figure it out. --when i say keyboard, i do not mean a computer keyboard, i mean a MIDI controller keyboard that looks like a keyboard musical instrument. the recording software i am using is Cubase on a PC
www.transamplus.com
Rob

79 Trans Am- Nocturne Blue,T-Tops,403,Camel Tan Deluxe Interior

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
Re: any musicians familiar with MIDI here?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 11:27:02 PM »
I know Hammer has extensive knowledge of MIDI, I'm sure he'll post soon enough and give you a hand.
Rich

Offline Helter80

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 11:27:50 PM »
I know Hammer has extensive knowledge of MIDI, I'm sure he'll post soon enough and give you a hand.

cool, thanks Rich. if i don't hear from him on this post soon, i'll PM him.
-Rob
www.transamplus.com
Rob

Offline Helter80

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 11:31:57 AM »
Hammer,
I am using Cubase. VST instruments. the specific problem i have having is, i have two drum instruments. one has only snares, the other has only bass drums. so i want to be able to play them at the same time so i can record drum beats by using the snare and bass drum. i can't really record each drum one at a time. thats why i'm having trouble.

-Rob
www.transamplus.com
Rob

trancelgic

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 05:21:25 PM »
Back in the day we used samplers instead of drum machines or modules like the Alesis D4...  I had an Akai S-900 and a Korg DSS-1, both samplers.

What you might be able to do is use a VST based sample-playback instrument.  If your drum sounds are .wav or acid files, Satellite can play them back.  It's a free plugin.  http://samplebase.com/satellite.htm

This way you can assign one MIDI channel to it and it can play all the sounds you need.  :)

I used to play long ago, when the Korg M1 and Roland D-50 were the top dogs, and Opcode Vision was my sequencer of choice on my Mac SE/30.

What kind of music do you guys play?

If my wife would let me, I would buy a Korg Triton & a Roland D-550 rack.  I still love the D-50 sounds.  :)

Offline Helter80

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 05:56:47 PM »
Back in the day we used samplers instead of drum machines or modules like the Alesis D4...  I had an Akai S-900 and a Korg DSS-1, both samplers.

What you might be able to do is use a VST based sample-playback instrument.  If your drum sounds are .wav or acid files, Satellite can play them back.  It's a free plugin.  http://samplebase.com/satellite.htm

thanks for that plugin!!!  i just downloaded it. it seems pretty cool. i write solo music, so i play everything. but as far as music classification i'd call it like  electronic, experimental, rock. i use mostly synthesizers. i sometimes play guitar in the background, and makes sound effects with the guitar. and i sing too

This way you can assign one MIDI channel to it and it can play all the sounds you need.  :)

I used to play long ago, when the Korg M1 and Roland D-50 were the top dogs, and Opcode Vision was my sequencer of choice on my Mac SE/30.

What kind of music do you guys play?

If my wife would let me, I would buy a Korg Triton & a Roland D-550 rack.  I still love the D-50 sounds.  :)
www.transamplus.com
Rob

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 06:37:30 AM »
I'll warm up my voice and join ya ;D
Rich

Offline Helter80

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 12:06:05 PM »
Halter here is the keyboard I have....  I hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiVJhWenEEQ&feature=related

Hammer

haha, yeah!!!  a jam session in saratoga would kick *ss!!! LOL  i'm about three hours south of Saratoga, it'll be a little tough stuffing my music gear in the trunk of my T/A  LOL

I hope my friend Blue81ta is watching.....as I may have to bring this board to Saratoga for our jam session. LOL
www.transamplus.com
Rob