Author Topic: My new T/A  (Read 1849 times)

Offline 4wheeling79

My new T/A
« on: April 01, 2014, 11:28:46 PM »
Since picking up my T/A I have been cleaning and working on it religiously. Upon driving it home I could not help but notice that the car had no power it had trouble getting out of its on way total dog! I first cleaned the carb very dirty fixed a vacuum leak and checked timing it was set on 0 degree's! I bumped it up to 10 degrees initial and took it for a ride around the block the more times I made the block the better it seemed to run. So I came to a dead stop and stomped the gas to my surprise it eat the tires off total smoke storm! So I did it again and again this thing will move now!!

So this past weekend I changed plugs, wires, upgraded coil and module, then changed the oil. Again it only improved from a 10mph roll stomp the gas and it will eat the tires alive. Question will these cars do this in bone stock form I have no idea what they did in the motor rebuild I was told it went back all stock??

I have since found that the tach is bad I checked the wires with another tach and it's good. So I need to find a good factory tach. The a/c hadn't worked in years from what I was told it took me about 3hrs to fix it I have no doubt if it had Freon it would blow cold air.

Since the only thing on the car that wasn't rebuilt was the rear end I removed it stripped it down for a fresh rebuild and a good thing the front pinion bearing fell a part. I will also replace all the bushings and going back with 3.42 gears. Sorry for such a long post but had a lot to catch up on I will get some pics tomorrow.
1978 Trans Am Y88 restored original
1993 Cobra mustang (Teal) 55K original miles
1986 mustang 5.0 T-top 351W, TKO 5 speed, Trickflow heads, huge roller cam & on & on....
2002 F-250 7.3 diesel tons of upgrades

Offline onebluess

• Laissez les bons temps rouler !
Re: My new T/A
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 10:23:45 AM »
What's the specs on the TA? Any pictures?

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
Re: My new T/A
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 01:28:30 PM »
I have since found that the tach is bad I checked the wires with another tach and it's good. So I need to find a good factory tach.

find someone that is parting a car, you may get lucky
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff