Author Topic: Burt's personal 77 trans Am?  (Read 5171 times)

Offline solargold

Burt's personal 77 trans Am?
« on: November 25, 2012, 07:38:30 PM »
never heard this story before, and I doubt used for the first movie as Pontiac had not released the car at the time of filming and no one knew it would be such a hit to give one to him up front. Maybe part 2 for still shoots but that's my opinion. what are yours? wrong hood bird, grills solid gold, wrong shaker decal, nose decal in wrong place...certainly not correct. Wish he would show a pic of the title.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Burt-Reynolds-Personal-Owned-Titled-Smokey-and-Bandit-Car-/150954674718?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2325998a1e
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 07:40:31 PM by solargold »
L8R G8R

Offline JupiterBandit

Re: Burt's personal 77 trans Am?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 08:00:42 PM »
Well when I bought a 1986 Mustang GT convertible from him it was registered and titled to his production company. I do remember as a kid him having a bandit trans am out on the ranch parked in his barn. I would say he did let things go a bit so it's not unthinkable that it needed to be repainted. It's possible he threw a cheap paint job on it. He was mostly in California and it was his parents who lived on the ranch in Jupiter, Fl.

Offline solargold

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 08:10:34 PM »
I dont doubt it is possible that he owned this car but highly doubt it was used in a photo shoot for the first movie. I dont doubt he was told such either as I have heard personally from other involved in the movie says things like "Bonnevilles were used for the Sheriff car." Things do run together after so many years. That car should bring good money, just wish more pics were shown and the title with name for sure proof.

Would Burt have painted that car with "Bandit" on the door prior to the 2nd movie for a photo shoot? Can you tell by the T top opening in that prop pic if that is hurst or fischer tops, my eyes are not that good. Would be a tell tell sign if that is the same car as we know the 2nd movie had fischers.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 08:12:34 PM by solargold »
L8R G8R

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 08:27:59 PM »
Burt loves personalizing his cars. So I think he would have had it painted but only after the 2nd movie came out. He may have gotten that car after the first movie and used it in photos to promote the movie after it was made. As for the ttops in the pic they are hurst in his ad. The mustang I bought he had hand painted pin stripes with arrow heads at the end on both sides. The Lexus that he drives now also has the same gold pinstipes with arrow heads. His college was Florida State (Seminoles)

Offline solargold

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 08:43:45 PM »
Yes, I realize the car featured are hurst, I am referring to the car in last pic including Burt
L8R G8R

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 08:55:09 PM »
Yes, I realize the car featured are hurst, I am referring to the car in last pic including Burt

Just opened up an original photo of the same pic and you can tell from the seals they are fisher tops in the pic

Offline solargold

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 09:27:03 PM »
then that car was not the car in the shown photo. I would be hesitant to bid with a 0 feedback seller, in Canada and won't disclose location of car until after wire transfer clears.
L8R G8R

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 10:28:29 PM »
then that car was not the car in the shown photo. I would be hesitant to bid with a 0 feedback seller, in Canada and won't disclose location of car until after wire transfer clears.

agreed, details are sketchy at best
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
  • Old Birds don't die-they get faster, corner harder
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 02:48:52 PM »
Who cares if Burt owned it? Burt will autograph your own T/A- for a small fee.  ;D

Offline solargold

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 04:26:34 PM »
He signed three of my visors for free, so did Hal Needham ;D Sonny Schroyer signed 2 but charged $25 ::)
L8R G8R

Offline NWW-79 T/A

• Adv. Member
  • 16 Year Old T/A Owner
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 05:01:26 PM »
How do I get my visor signed by Burt Reynolds? :D
Romney/Ryan 2012

-1979 Solar Gold Trans Am in Restoration-

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 09:12:04 PM »
If you look at the painted bandit. it is not identicle to the one in satbII. the guy's story is a little exaggerated

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 09:20:57 PM »
well he did say burt had it repainted so we are back at the ttops. are they fisher or hurst seals in the movie photo?

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 03:00:11 PM »
I thought it was fake simply because it isn't even a true SE TA is it? The dash is silver I thought in this auction and the head light bezels looked off too.  I woulda thought burt would have had a true top notch SE, but I know you guys know more about this stuff than me.  I saw this auction yesterday though and wanted to let people know it's most likely a scam.  There needs to be a small message board at the bottom of every ebay auction or something so bidders can discuss things and protect each other.  That would stop creeps like this potential crook and Bob the bandit from build a bandit from screwing people.

Offline solargold

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 03:43:22 PM »
He shows a title and though most of the signature is blocked, what I can see looks the same as the signature I have from Burt on my visor.
L8R G8R