Author Topic: Removing transmission fluid through the dip stick.  (Read 2288 times)

Offline '78 LadyBird

• Adv. Member
Removing transmission fluid through the dip stick.
« on: March 05, 2010, 04:41:12 PM »
Well, as most of you know, the fluid for the tranny was overfilled way too much, THANKS to the shop that took down the tranny.

Anyway, I told Frank instead of trying to remove the pan/plug to drain it, I suggested placing a small plastic tube down the dip stick area and syphon (sp?) it out.

Well, it worked, and then it stopped.  ???

The fluid is just a wee bit over the full line.

You think that is ok, to leave it, or drain it more?
Proud owner of
1978 Silver TA WS6/W72
1984 Firebird S/E
2000 Firehawk, #696
1954 Ford Skyliner

New Pictures added...
LINK TO OUR GALLERY
http://www.78ta.com/gallery2/main.php/v/See+Ya/

Heidi

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: Removing transmission fluid through the dip stick.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 05:12:38 PM »
Well, I would drain it and refill it.....but I'm anal that way.  That way, I know everything is done correctly.  It's a very messy job though.  In fact, I hated doing it.  You know the engine has to be hot and running when you check the fluid...don't you?

Offline '78 LadyBird

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 05:38:49 PM »
Well, I would drain it and refill it.....but I'm anal that way.  That way, I know everything is done correctly.  It's a very messy job though.  In fact, I hated doing it.  You know the engine has to be hot and running when you check the fluid...don't you?

Yes sir!  I do know that.  I'm not sure though, can you also put into D and also check it?  You know, have someone put it in D with the brakes on and then check the levels?

Proud owner of
1978 Silver TA WS6/W72
1984 Firebird S/E
2000 Firehawk, #696
1954 Ford Skyliner

New Pictures added...
LINK TO OUR GALLERY
http://www.78ta.com/gallery2/main.php/v/See+Ya/

Heidi

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 07:33:23 PM »
No, it should be in Park on a level surface with the engine running.

The reason I would drain and refill is because those guys at the shop didn't know what they were doing.  I'm not sure if they changed the filter or not.  So, I would drop the pan, change the filter then refill the transmission according to the procedure in the service manual.  They might have filled the transmission cold.  That could account for the overfill situation.  Besides, I like to snoop around when I encounter poor workmanship just to make sure there's not something that I've missed.

An overfilled transmission can fail.  These transmission weren't that great anyway.

Offline LilSki

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 12:02:22 AM »
I would also suggest dropping the pan. But I will also add that once I overfilled my own tranny like a moron just after I serviced it. To get it out I jacked up the front of the car, put on jack stands, and popped the driveshaft out and let it drain out the back of the tranny.
Kevin
79 Trans Am: (77 nose), WS6, M-21, 461, Hotchkis TVS, PTFB Contol arms. 
85 Trans Am: Vortec 350 w/LT1 cam/T56, TPI conversion w/Megasquirt II.