Author Topic: Well, that didn't work.......  (Read 2960 times)

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
Re: Well, that didn't work.......
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 06:40:33 AM »
and you learn something new everyday unless your jeff that guy seems to know everything you can about these cars. blows my mind.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline skisix38off

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 07:46:56 AM »
and you learn something new everyday unless your jeff that guy seems to know everything you can about these cars. blows my mind.

Then I wish Jeff would respond to my trans. problem....  It's wouldn't take much to be more knowledgeable about these cars then I am.
1978 Y88 L78 auto, PW
Greg

Offline pat

• Adv. Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 10:44:30 AM »
did he drop the pan annd change the filter?
speed kills drive a ford and live forever

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 01:29:31 PM »
I suggested that too Pat.  I talked with the guy who has been helping me build my car and told him the symptoms.  He believes the tranny is giving up the ghost and will need to be rebuilt.
Rich

Offline '78 LadyBird

• Adv. Member
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 06:10:58 PM »
did he drop the pan annd change the filter?

Pat, you asking me this or skisix?

If your asking me, no Frank has not done that.

Hey Rich!  It was nice talking with you!!
Proud owner of
1978 Silver TA WS6/W72
1984 Firebird S/E
2000 Firehawk, #696
1954 Ford Skyliner

New Pictures added...
LINK TO OUR GALLERY
http://www.78ta.com/gallery2/main.php/v/See+Ya/

Heidi

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 06:16:03 PM »
You too Heidi, hopefully our paths will cross this year at some show or other so we can meet :)
Rich

Offline ricks77

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 01:34:50 AM »
I had the same problem with my 77 and tried everything. In the end I replaced the valve body from another 350 I had and it fixed the problem. I never figured out was wrong with it but swaping valve bodies fixed it. Hope this helps
The education of a man is never completed until he dies.  R.E.L

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 03:53:21 AM »
I had the same problem with my 77 and tried everything. In the end I replaced the valve body from another 350 I had and it fixed the problem. I never figured out was wrong with it but swaping valve bodies fixed it. Hope this helps

Fluid erosion of the old valve body perhaps? Move high pressure fluid through metal channels for a long period of time and sooner or later you going to start washing out the body, or at least that sounds sensible to me. Anybody know if this is possible?

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 06:56:34 PM »
im no tranny guy but sounds possible. i think this trans will need to come out and start by inspection of the convertor and moving into the rest from there on.
unfortunately
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline 76ta4spd

• Yearning to see the open road!!!
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 08:14:14 PM »
Heidi, I would definately try and change the filter and fluid. After the tranny fluid heats up, particles move more freely in it and sometimes a filter that needs changing will give you signs. I'm not saying this is the problem but my Wife and I have only bought a new car once in our lifetime so all the other 100,000 miles+ cars we have driven got a tranny fluid and filter change except one with a 700r4 and it started giving us probs. Did the filter and fluid change and drove the car another 25,000 miles until the engine quit. Filter kits are really cheap and only take about 45min if you can adequately squeeze under the car. I'm starting to get a serious gut so the jackstands keep getting taller and taller. lol Good luck with it. Nothing worse than a sick baby, er I mean TA.

James
Make an honest livin and treat people with respect. Everything else just happens naturally.

Offline '78 LadyBird

• Adv. Member
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 09:46:09 PM »
Thanks James.

I'm wondering though, I bought Frank the CD manual in the store here on the site.  You think that might help?

I really haven't figured out on how to navigate through it, yet.
Proud owner of
1978 Silver TA WS6/W72
1984 Firebird S/E
2000 Firehawk, #696
1954 Ford Skyliner

New Pictures added...
LINK TO OUR GALLERY

Heidi

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 10:03:07 PM »
See, I told you to change the filter and drain the fluid.  You have no idea what those morons did.  You need to get a baseline.  How do you know the filter is even on correctly? 

If that doesn't work, it might be time for a rebuild.  Do you know if that transmission has ever been rebuilt?  How many miles on the car?  I've found that they last give or take about 70K miles before they need to be rebuilt.  That's my experience with a sample size of three.  A rebuild is about $1K.  You'll need to replace the u-joints if they're original. 

Offline '78 LadyBird

• Adv. Member
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 10:09:07 PM »
See, I told you to change the filter and drain the fluid.  You have no idea what those morons did.  You need to get a baseline.  How do you know the filter is even on correctly? 

If that doesn't work, it might be time for a rebuild.  Do you know if that transmission has ever been rebuilt?  How many miles on the car?  I've found that they last give or take about 70K miles before they need to be rebuilt.  That's my experience with a sample size of three.  A rebuild is about $1K.  You'll need to replace the u-joints if they're original. 

I know, I know, I know.  Well, Frank has been sick for two days now.  Not really sure what is going on with him.
Vomitting and bad headache, and can't sit or stand without feeling sick to his stomache.

I think as soon as he feels better he is going to drain all the fluid out and see what is up.

I have no clue if the tranny has ever been rebuilt.  I am trying to track down the previous owner, not the one we bought it from, but before him.  I have the title anda name, but I can't locate this woman.
Proud owner of
1978 Silver TA WS6/W72
1984 Firebird S/E
2000 Firehawk, #696
1954 Ford Skyliner

New Pictures added...
LINK TO OUR GALLERY

Heidi

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 10:17:30 PM »
Well, I hope Frank gets better soon.  Sounds like he might have the stomach flu.  My grandmother, rest her soul, used to say to eat a piece of burnt toast.  She said the charcoal absorbs the bad stuff.  I don't know if she was right or not....but she was a sweet woman.  And, she could bake the best cherry pies!!!

Offline 76ta4spd

• Yearning to see the open road!!!
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 11:06:11 PM »
I hope Frank gets to feeling better. If it has never been done before, install a drain plug in the tranny pan before you put it back on. They don't come with one from the factory on many cars, for some reason. It gets kindof messy of you don't have a large drip pan or if you overfill it a little and have to loosen the pan to let some out. You will definately thank yourself later. They don't cost anything hardly either. Get better Frank.

James
Make an honest livin and treat people with respect. Everything else just happens naturally.