Author Topic: Pontiac 400 77 to RA VI spec upgrade?  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Fahad_Qatar

Pontiac 400 77 to RA VI spec upgrade?
« on: April 30, 2015, 01:26:00 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have a 78 Trans am with pontiac 400 77, and was looking into upgrading it to match RA VI specs as it is the best 400 specs, is it possible?

-Fahad

Offline TAKID455

Re: Pontiac 400 77 to RA VI spec upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 08:34:59 AM »
Yes. all parts will interechange but will cost a pretty penny for the correct stuff.

Heads - 2500-3k
Intake 1500
carb - 2500-3k
Cam - 200
Exhaust manifolds kit new- 520
Pistons and rods new- say 800 - 1000

Machine work - varies by location

You could go aftermarket aluminum parts and save a bundle and get better performance
2nd Gen Engineering
Specializing in Suspension and Driveline Performance Engineering
Custom/ Racing/ Restorations

Offline Fahad_Qatar

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 01:04:15 AM »
Thanks TAKID455

Aluminum parts sounds better and easier to find, I guess. Any suggestion will be appreciated. ;D

Offline jonathonar89

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 01:34:56 PM »
It's all about airflow.  You can port out the heads and intake you currently have to significantly increase the amount of flow that can go in and out of the engine.  An exhaust, healthy cam, head work and tuning can yield an extra 200hp over stock.  This keeps everything simple.  You don't need intake, carb, or cylinder heads to make 500hp.

Today a lot of people like turbochargers for power increases.  You can add a turbo without even taking apart your engine to create a significant power boost as well.  For the money you will probably see the most performance gain turbocharging but it requires fabrication so it makes for complexity.   

Offline TAKID455

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 08:27:59 AM »
For Round port heads, Edelbrock
D port - KRE

I'd have both ported to flow in the 300-310 CFM range which the manufactures can do.

Intakes, go with a dual plane such as performer or the like unless you go EFI, then you may look at some single plane setups.

2nd Gen Engineering
Specializing in Suspension and Driveline Performance Engineering
Custom/ Racing/ Restorations

Offline jonathonar89

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 03:19:43 PM »
I haven't posted any pics online of the victor efi intake I got from you yet.  I sanded off all the Edelbrock lettering and I'm smoothing it out.  I'm debating on painting it blue to look somewhat stock or polishing out completely so it doesn't retain any heat due to a coat of paint. 

My FAST 4500 throttle body is also having contact with the pad when I turn the throttle blades.  I have to mark the edge of the throttle bores on the intake and open it up to the size of the bores.  I haven't purchased a gasket yet so I'm just making it to the right dimensions without it first. 

I also have to do something about the intake not lining up with my heads.  I'm going to start searching around for thinner gaskets and see if I can find a good price on getting it fitted up at a machine shop.  If it's possible, I'm going to try and cut the intake side on the head so I can save the intake for a different set of heads...those KRE high port or Edelbrock Pro Port 11* heads look killer but not on my budget. 

Qatar....
www.krepower.com
www.butlerperformance.com

Offline Fahad_Qatar

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 01:24:00 AM »
Thank you all. Sadly one of the engine's rods bearing went lose and screwed the crank shaft :(.

So I took it as an execuse to order  butler's 461 stroker kit  8).

Offline jonathonar89

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 02:27:39 AM »
That's very nice...I'm jealous of the kit.  What's the plan for the top end?

Offline Fahad_Qatar

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 04:13:02 AM »
For now I'll stick to the 6x-8 heads and the stock manifold (9.1 compression), as I'm saving money for a US trip  8) 8)

Comp XE274 is currently my choice but havn't bought the cam yet.

What I'm trying to achieve is a high performance street car. No use of having a super strong engine if you can't drive it anytime you want.

Fahad