Author Topic: 1981 TA 6-speed conversion HELP  (Read 16476 times)

Offline 19transam81

1981 TA 6-speed conversion HELP
« on: March 16, 2012, 07:51:57 PM »
Hey guys, I have a 81 TA that was a auto car originally. Since then, the car has had a sbc 355 and a 4-speed muncie installed. Now, I really want the overdrive gears, so i want to go with a 5 speed or 6 speed so the car gets better mileage on the highway. My dad and I put the muncie in the car, and it wasn't too crazy of a job.

I need to know what parts I will need to convert the 4 speed setup to the 5 or 6 speed setup. I know there are kits available that come with everything you need, but I heard they are pricey. If someone has already done the swap, and can give me some insight on what I need and how difficult of a job it is, I would really appreciate it. Let me know if its a do-able conversion or if it is worth the extra money to buy a whole new kit and save some headaches. Thanks for your time!
-Cody

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Re: 1981 TA 6-speed conversion HELP
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 09:08:38 PM »
get a deal on a T56 and youll love it... just finished mine... youll want an LT1 version, so 93-97... any newer and you might have some problems.... but is still workable... out of an Fbody will really help, youll need to get the hydraulic clutch stuff, or leave it mechanical and deal with it the same old fashioned way... but I reccomend the hydraulic stuff... its less pedal effort.. next youll need to either customize your crossmember, or buy one thats bolt in, I bought mine from www.gforce.com nice heavy duty unit... and your shifter will need to either be swapped for an adjustable unit, something a little different... mine is coming up through a custom hole, and I am using an automatic console... you DO NOT have to do the same way I did, mine was an auto car.... TAKID455 put one into a factory 4spd hole.... but he has a top of the line transmission.... your stock speedo wont work without an electronic conversion, like a cablex box or something similiar or an aftermarket tailhousing with the mechanical provision.... and depending on your rear gear ratio, you might have to change it, mine is a 3.04 and its too low, 3.73s min for a 6spd.... I barely get into 5th... 6th bogs down the engine... if you shop around and price it all right you can get a much better deal swapping in good used parts...
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline 19transam81

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 02:43:55 PM »
So for my checklist of parts:
-T-56 tranny (93-97)
-Crossmember
-Custom shifter with an offset (I think hurst makes a part especially for this, although it is expensive. If you know a cheaper way to go let me know.)
-Converter to change the t-56 speedo from electonic to mechanical

What about a bellhousing? My block is a 78 350. Will the bellhousing off an older transmission bolt up to a T-56? I will prolly go with the mechanical clutch assembly, at least for now, so I will need a bellhousing to match up to my linkage? Or will the bellhousing off a 93-97 t-56 bolt up to my 78 block and work with the linkage I already have?

Also, what about driveshaft? I have the stock driveshaft so will I need to cut it? Or buy a completely different one?

Let me know what other parts I'm missing so I can get an idea of how much I'll be spending. Thanks for your time!
-Cody

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 11:36:40 PM »
stock lt1 t56 will bolt right up.... same sbc bellhousing design...,
the lt1 version still has a shift fork, so the factory linkage will hook up just like it does on the factory 4spd...
driveshaft, I believe requires a new yoke, since you are going from 4spd to a 6spd... spline count and diameter are different... you can get yours cut and balanced for a good price...

shifter Ill get back to you, there is one that is fully adjustable in every which direction then you can set it in and lock it down with the set screws... lot of guys run this and I want to say the brand is White Lightning.... a tremec subdivision"?
Eroc

Offline 19transam81

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 01:30:36 PM »
So this seems to be a relatively simple conversion then. I have found a couple rebuilt t-56's that come with the mechanical speedo conversion. Sounds like besides getting the driveshaft cut to length it should only be a days work. So, the crossmember you bought  from gforce.com bolted right into the factory crossmember holes and lined up with the tranny with no fabrication? If thats the case, then besides the driveshaft being cut it should all basically bolt right up correct? Also, where did you pick up the correct yolk to fit the t-56? And ill be waiting to hear what you found out about the shifter! Thanks again for all your help! I really appreciate it!
-Cody

Offline 19transam81

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 01:49:36 PM »
By the way, I tried to price the aftermarket tailshaft with the mechanical speedo conversion in case i buy a t-56 that doesn't already have one installed. I can't find anything cheap. The one I did find was $1000, way out of my price range. Can you tell me where to find one reasonable? Thanks a million!
-Cody

Offline Transam87020

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 02:07:25 PM »
I believe Classic industries offers a complete 5 spd kit with 5th being an OD. Kinda pricey at around $3300 + shipping
but comes with driveline, shifter and all I believe. Also will fit in factory location where the 4spd was, console and all.
I thought about this one myself but no fundage.
Goodluck
Chris

Offline 19transam81

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 02:30:24 PM »
Also, JAM performance transmissions says that in order to use a 93-97 LT1 t-56 you will need an adapter plate to make the bellhousing bolt up to the block. (http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/t56_early_gm.html) Is this true? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to figure everything out before hand so there will be no surprises. I have also read that the bellhousing will bolt up to the block, but you will need a special flywheel for the pre-86 blocks since they are 2 pc rear main seals instead of 1 pc.? Can anyone validate this? I'm also going to need a different starter I'm assuming? Thanks again for your time!
-Cody

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Eroc

Offline 19transam81

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 08:24:30 PM »
eroc022, that is the site where I got some of my info from. First it lists what parts you will need to bolt the T56 up to the pre 86 block with a hyd clutch kit. In that section it says nothing about an adapter plate and says the tranny will bolt right up. However, right after that, it says what parts you will need to make it work with the early mechanical clutch and it says you need an adapter plate as well as a different input shaft and bearing retainer. I don't understand?? Why would you need an adapter plate and input shaft for the mechanical setup and not for the hyd. setup? Is the information backwards? Just trying to make sense of it all, not that I'm doubting you, i just want to hear the same info from multiple sources before I try to tackle the job and end up not having everything I need. Thanks for all your time!!
-Cody

Offline 19transam81

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 09:05:50 PM »
Ok, I'm dumb. After re-reading that article numerous times it says you need the adapter plate and input shaft for mating a t-56 to a NON T-56 bellhousing. I missed that part. (I'm in grad school and have been studying all day for finals, my brain is fried haha)

So, as long as I get the 93-97 t-56 with its matching bell housing, it will bolt right up. Sorry for being dumb and asking so many questions when the answer was right in front of my face. Thanks again for all your help!

Now I am getting a little better understanding of what I am going to need. The list is as follows:

-93-97 T-56 (LT1 car) Would it be best to get one out of a Camaro or Firebird/Trans Am??

-GForce crossmember and transmission mount: $250
http://www.crossmembers.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=18_21_26&products_id=91

-Centerforce Flywheel: $450
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTF-700107/

-Clutch Kit (Assorted Brands): $350-$450
http://www.summitracing.com

-Driveline Components Shifter: $250
http://www.americanpowertrain.com/Shifter-Mechanisms.html

-Mechanical Speedo Conversion: $300
http://www.jagsthatrun.com

-Shorten Driveshaft (unsure of price)

-T-56 driveshaft Yoke? (I know both the TH-350 and t-56 use 27 spline slip yokes, but I don't know if they are the same size. My car has the TH-350 slip yoke currently.)

-Starter?

If you can think of anything I'm missing or if anyone knows of a cheaper place to find these parts, let me know PLEASE!
Thanks for everything!!
-Cody

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 12:08:49 AM »
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235823

look through all these....

xmember you can save money by cutting and flipping the mount on yours...

been looking for these for awhile! finally found em....all same install applies since you have a sbc... ls1 is different.... needs a spacer thats all....
Eroc

Offline 19transam81

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 09:09:11 PM »
Well, thanks for roundin up all the info for me. I was unaware that you would need to cut the trans tunnel to fit the t56 in. As nice as it would be to have the 0.50 overdrive in 6th gear, I think it will be much easier to go with a TKO 600. I found American Powertrain and 5speedtransmissions offer a new TKO 600 and everything needed to install it in a 2nd gen trans am. The price is a little more than I wanted to spend, but it seems much less mods are needed and it will be a cleaner install. If anyone knows where I can find a cheaper combo on the TKO 600 let me know. The kits I mentioned earlier run about $2800 without the clutch kit, flywheel, bellhousing, or crossmember. Thanks again for all the help!
-Cody

Offline LilSki

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 09:44:33 PM »
Just an FYI you really want a T56 from 94-97. In 93 there was an M28 and a M29. M28 has some strange gear ratios and is the weakest T56. The M29 is the better of the two with much better gear ratios. But it is still not as strong as the 94-97 boxes.
Kevin
79 Trans Am: (77 nose), WS6, M-21, 461, Hotchkis TVS, PTFB Contol arms. 
85 Trans Am: Vortec 350 w/LT1 cam/T56, TPI conversion w/Megasquirt II.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 12:32:43 PM »
you do not have to cut the transmission tunnel, the only thing I cut on mine, was a shifter hole, but mine was an auto, the one TAKID455 did didnt require to be cut either....
Eroc