Author Topic: Anyone into Mustangs?  (Read 9054 times)

Offline z.goddard

Anyone into Mustangs?
« on: November 11, 2011, 07:17:48 PM »
Well I'm more of a GM guy but I was trading my Jeep and some cash for a car and came across this 86 Mustang GT 5.0 5speed Convertible, It has a rebuilt engine, newer paint, and is crazy solid. Only thing it really needs is a top and doorpanels. Jeep was worth MAYBE 1000 and gave him 1100, he needed money badly. Anyways.. hopefullly I'll have some better luck trading this for an 82-92 Camaro or Firebird or maybe an 86-88 Fiero GT which is what I really want, so if anyone knows of any LMK ;)

Offline bobspacin80ta

Re: Anyone into Mustangs?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 09:11:14 PM »
I like the 5.0 mustangs. Would like another one but then again I want alot of things.
'80 T/A Indy pace car
'78 Grand Prix
'78 Grand Prix

Offline folzinal

• -Ryan
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 09:55:40 PM »
I actually have an 87 LX 5.0 5-spd t-top car for sale right now.  I have a potential buyer that was looking for a vert, which mine is not, and has had trouble finding one without rust issues for a decent $$.  How much are you looking to get on a straight up sale?  I'll pass the word to him if he passes on mine.  He is from Oak Harbor area so he is probably closer to you than me.

Offline z.goddard

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 10:28:55 PM »
If I sell I was looking to get $3500 or so, but I'm more into trading things instead of selling,I traded my 84 Vette for the TA, an Astro for the Jeep and then the Mustang, and I'm only 17..

Offline turbota400

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 11:28:34 PM »
Mustang!?  That's blasphemy on here!  LOL
Shawn
1972 Chevy C-10
1980 Trans Am Pace Car - 428 ci Poncho in the works
1992 S-10 2WD- Work Bomber/Gas saver
1997 Chevy X-cab 4x4 - Vortec 350

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 12:24:06 AM »
have owned mostly GM stuff in my life but my first car was a mustang and would LOVE a 69/70 BOSS
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 01:18:34 AM »
I wouldn't mind replacing my first drivable car. That was a '78 Mustang II Coupe.
Larry

Offline Tirebird

• Howdy! 'names Kevin
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 01:30:50 AM »
Its a great car if you don't mind the non-stock color.  You will definitely have a barrel of fun in it if you haven't already driven it.  This was the love of my life and I would still have it had it not been totaled.  It had new stock paint, new hood sticker, NOS interior.  Mine had the carburator which was lots of trouble.

I had an '82 Firebird and it was not a good car.  1 transmission, 2 rear ends, electrical, stuck power windows, broken lock button on shifter, plastic that became brittle (and I live in California), so I wouldn't recommend an '82 of any sort.

You'll have a barrel of fun in that convertible.  Have you thought of just keeping it?  You'd just be in both worlds.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 03:26:18 PM by Tirebird »
You don't drive your car.  You wear it!

Offline Tirebird

• Howdy! 'names Kevin
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 01:35:06 AM »
I looked at the pic more carefully and it looks like an 87-93 with an 86 nose.
You don't drive your car.  You wear it!

Offline z.goddard

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 08:03:23 AM »
I looked at the pic more carefully and it looks like an 87-93 with an 86 nose.

Title says 86, but I wouldn't be suprised if there were different parts on it. I just dont know much about Mustangs so can't tell.

And yes, Ive thought about keeping it, I'm really not into Mustangs but I'm getting it legal today and I'll see how I like driving it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 08:08:03 AM by z.goddard »

Offline folzinal

• -Ryan
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 10:39:01 AM »
Have you looked into insurance yet?  We were going to keep mine for my 17-yo son but the insurace was crazy.  Even though our 08 Impala has more horsepower and is faster, the mustang is still considered a high risk sports car.  You could try to insure as a collector car but then your miles may be limited.

Sorry to be a downer.

And yes, they are fun to drive!

Offline IdahoDirtFarmer

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 11:03:46 AM »
In high school I picked up an '84 mustang hatchback LX with the 3.8 v6 in it for cheap.  I put snow tires on it to drive it during the winter instead of my '73 Formula. As much as I hated that car, looking back it was fun little car. Kinda nice to not care about what your driving to much as far as dents and dings go. The hatch was nice though. You can get alot of fishing poles in there and if ya do it right you can get two mule deer bucks in there if ya strategically push hard enough loading them.

I get my GM love from my Dad's side. My Mom on the other hand is a Mustang nut. Her first car was a '69 Mach1. I actually wish I had that car. Then she got a '90 convertible 5.0 quite a few years ago which she traded for a '95 convertible GT with the 5.0. It looks nice, drives nice, but I just don't fit very well in it. Not my cup of tea but to each his own. Never really cared much for any of the mustang bodies myself. 
'74 T/A project
'79 T/A Y84 (really rough project)
'79 esprit (making T/A clone)
'79 T/A Solar Gold daily driver
'91 Formula

Offline z.goddard

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 11:43:03 AM »
Havent looked into insurance yet but will be going Monday as long as work isn't too long, that's one of the reasons why I traded my Vette.

Kinda have the same plan as you IdahoDirtFarmer but If I keep it I'll try to keep it as clean as possible fix a few minor things, quarter windows, top, etc. and see where it goes from there.

Maybe even a quick paintjob just to see if I want to paint the TA myself..

Offline 89flyboy

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
To bad your not out here we have tons of 3rd gens for sale. My buddy back in Utah has a 90 5.0 5 speed, we ripped the motor out and dropped in a 351 Windsor. I do not like Fords at all (Sorry Fred) but that is one fun car to drive, never own it but fun to drive. Its always nice when you can get rubber in all 5 gears.
I long for the peace that only driving a t/a can bring.

Offline z.goddard

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 05:14:21 PM »
To bad your not out here we have tons of 3rd gens for sale. My buddy back in Utah has a 90 5.0 5 speed, we ripped the motor out and dropped in a 351 Windsor. I do not like Fords at all (Sorry Fred) but that is one fun car to drive, never own it but fun to drive. Its always nice when you can get rubber in all 5 gears.

Tons where I'm at also, so hopefully Ill have some luck, but if not I'm not totally against Fords, Plan is to not spend too much money on this and more on my 79 TA!!