Author Topic: Wanted: 78 GM AM/FM/CB/8-Track Player for a TA  (Read 14938 times)

Offline Eagle 1

Wanted: 78 GM AM/FM/CB/8-Track Player for a TA
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
Quote from: "Rick"
Well, I learn something ever day!  How long did they make 8-track tapes, anyway?  They were all the rage in 70-71, but it seemed like they'd fallen out of favor by 77-78 as cassettes got better.  Anybody know when they quit making them? :?

8-tracks were still around in the early 80's.  I know I still used them, and still have my collection. 8)
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 06:28:54 PM »
Eagle, do they still work or have they dried out?  IIRC the tape was lubricated so it could run that continuous loop, and if it started getting dry the sound would go all weird on you. :?

Offline tulsapoolplyr88

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 07:43:28 PM »
I have the exact same unit as kentuckyyeti.  I don't plan on removing it, because I would like to keep the car as close to original as possible.  On one of the other threads, I saw someone here has come up with a "bracket/faceplate" that would allow a newer "DIN" to fit in where the map pocket is.  I wouldn't mind doing something like this....just so I don't have to cut up the dash.

Here's a few pics from his ebay sale:

Here's the thread where he was talking about it:
http://www.taspecialties.com/php/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1579

Here's the ebay link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250060065612&rd=1&rd=1

Offline Eagle 1

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 09:22:06 PM »
Quote from: "Rick"
Eagle, do they still work or have they dried out?

I dont know, I havent played them in several years but they did work the last time I played them.  Some time in the 90's I believe.
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."

Offline fb_rider

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 09:51:49 AM »
A somewhat related question - since my car came only with the radio accomodation package, but no radio is listed - does that mean that it didn't come with any radio at all initially?
1977 Trans Am SE w/W72 engine (sold)
1999 Trans Am Anniversary Edition #953 (sold)
2000 Trans Am Firehawk #263

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 10:10:52 AM »
Right -- if you got the radio accomodation package, you got the windshield antenna and the wiring harness with the radio power plug left exposed, but no radio.  This wasn't too unusual back in the day because GM radios were considered inferior to aftermarket units that cost the same $$.  Your car would have had a radio block-off plate over the hole in the dash.  If it now has a radio the dealer could have installed one or it went to an aftermarket place for one.

Offline restoreamusclecar

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 10:17:58 PM »
Brett, great post with a copy of the order options on stereos.  Any pictures of the UP-1 option that I am looking for.  I have been told by Precision Radio that it was a Corporate Edition radio only and are tough to find.  I would like to track on down and try to get it to work.

Otherwise, the only other option is to find someone that has the relays put together to get a 78 gm deck to work with the optional 8-track console mounted player.  I have been told the new technology in the 78 and up decks didnt use the same speaker signals or something.

Thanks for all the great info group...  I especially liked the custom aftermarket kit for the map pocket.  That will be a nice option to allow customers on their restore.
hanks,
Dave Hall

Restore a Muscle Car LLC
4511 N. 56th St.
Lincoln, NE 68504

dave@restoreamusclecar.com

gotsmoke?

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 05:17:58 AM »
It has been some time, but I saw two or three complete am/fm/cb combo units in a salvage yard.  All were in caddies, one might have been an ETR unit.  I don't know about what came when or how in the TA's, but if a guy wants a unit...contact U-pull-it, salvage in Jacksonville, AR.  I think he wanted $35.00 ea., if you can get them to get pull it out.