Author Topic: Operation TATA  (Read 67539 times)

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
Re: Operation TATA Resto / Mod
« Reply #315 on: December 29, 2011, 08:19:42 PM »
I just found this thread and spent the last hour going over it. You've got a really great car, I'm very impressed with what you've done so far. Keep after it, even small projects to bide time and funds. I've personally been there, and it seemed that I wasn't ever going to enjoy driving the car. It never occured to me that I WAS enjoying my car, project by project. I still consider my 76 Trans Am just a driver, it still needs a paint job, but it's mine. I put alot of sweat and love into every detail and I wouldn't sell or trade that for anything. You'll get there, and it will last you a long time. Keep up the awesome work and we'll all cheer you on and keep you motivated. ;D

Yes I agree!  Thanks!!!!!
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #316 on: January 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM »
Thanks, I am just now trying to decide if it stays a tata or not

common...it has to stay a TATA...well imo anyways...I love those cars and there weren't many built!!
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #317 on: January 06, 2012, 04:49:53 PM »
Thanks, I am just now trying to decide if it stays a tata or not

common...it has to stay a TATA...well imo anyways...I love those cars and there weren't many built!!

It might be but it probably won't be any where close to a stock one
Dave
_______

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #318 on: January 14, 2012, 07:37:30 PM »
Talked to my local body shop the other day and also someone that knows his stuff and comes highly recommended and the body shop costs are probably going to kill the project.  Cheapest I have found is 13K and that just at this moment might not be in the budget.  The bones are decent but the floor pans combined with all the dings and dents to get her straight eats up alot of shop time, and as you know thats not cheap.  So I am back to having to decide what I really want in the end.  I would never recoup those costs on a non numbers matching car if I ever did decide to sell.

I know where I can get a 81 TA shell that is pretty cherry.  I could get that and with even getting it painted and complete come in not much more than just the body work would cost on the TATA.  With the stuff I want to do to the house and such I am not sure I can justify 13K to a body shop to save a car when I can do a different car cheaper.  It wouldn't be a TATA but in the end I really don't care about that.  I could yank the subframe off I have done and use that along with the rear end and just sell or scrap the shell that remains, yes I know I just heard a bunch of gasps lol.  So we will see what I decide, besides I have a few months it's too cold outside to do anything on her =)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 07:39:20 PM by 10Aniv »
Dave
_______

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #319 on: January 14, 2012, 11:39:11 PM »
Well if you decide to scrap/sell the body.... I have an option for you......
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #320 on: January 16, 2012, 03:23:47 AM »
Well, there could be some big changes going on here for this project, I'll keep ya in the loop =)
Dave
_______

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
Re: Operation TATA Ended
« Reply #321 on: January 22, 2012, 08:21:49 AM »
Well guys Operation TATA is officially ended.  I am putting the car up for sale and stopping any future progress.  The cost to restore this vehicle is no longer in my budget and I hope to pass it on to someone who has the time and skills to get it done.  Sad that I have to do this but things change with time. 

I am undecided if I am going to do another project.  I have one in mind and 99% sure I am going to move forward on that.  It is in alot better shape and I can get it rolling a bit quicker. 

So stay tuned.
Dave
_______

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #322 on: January 22, 2012, 07:16:05 PM »
Dave thats Sad news, I have really enjoyed your progress.  I can't wait for the next project.

Offline TxBandit911

« Reply #323 on: January 22, 2012, 07:42:10 PM »
Why cant you tackle more of the body work yourself? Get most of it done, and if you dont feel comfortable shooting the paint, let the shop shoot the paint and you do almost everything else yourself. If you want this project to come together bad enough, you'll figure out how to get it done.

Myself, I have never had money to pay shop labor, so I always end up having to learn how to do what I need done, and I have learned how to get some pretty amazing stuff done...

Good luck to you and what ever your decide to do, as long as a bird is saved in the end, I'm cool with that :)
I'll get this done some day...

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #324 on: January 22, 2012, 08:07:08 PM »
what you call body work and what I call body work ,  are 2 different things.

and I say you, meaning someone that doesnt know what there doing.

I did a car a few years ago for a guy that did his own body work.  I sprayed it , looked like glass when I was done .     just dont look at it walking past it.  you'd get sea sick.  he loved it and I got paid. I deny that paint job to this day..  75% of car buyers dont see what I look for.  they see shinny new paint and fall in love with it.   
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #325 on: January 22, 2012, 08:26:09 PM »
I don't know how to do body work and have no interest in doing it.  It is meticulous work and thats not one of my skills.  I would only pay to have someone fix it later.  On top of that I don't have the time.  I have too many other commitments and I would rather spend the time getting things done on my house rather than on a car.   I still have another project in mind and if I can get it done and on the road faster that works good for me.
Dave
_______

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #326 on: January 22, 2012, 08:26:35 PM »
^ I TOTALLY agree!  What I feel and see with my inexperienced eyes and hands I could never catch the things you body guys do!  Now if I was doing it purely out of a funds standpoint that's different?!  All depends on what level or extent you are trying to reach.

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #327 on: January 22, 2012, 08:28:19 PM »
I would rahter pay the money and have it done right.  If I can't afford to get it done correctly then I won't have the car.
Dave
_______

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #328 on: January 22, 2012, 08:45:04 PM »
to me paint is the easy part.  it only lays on top of your body work.   the paint will only look as nice as the body work. 
thats the easiest way to put it.
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #329 on: January 23, 2012, 09:09:20 AM »
bodywork to me is one of the easiest things and paint is just the proof to throw on top of it.
Too many birds, not enough food.