Author Topic: Back Up Lights part 3  (Read 3433 times)

Offline NY78TA

Back Up Lights part 3
« on: August 12, 2006, 12:37:16 PM »
Who says owning a 78 TA isnt fun?
The transmission shops says the neutral safety swicth  is welded into place and can not be serviced.
So the car is off to another shop  to verfify this.
Why would the switch be welded?---Alan

Offline Banditboy21

Back Up Lights part 3
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 03:04:50 PM »
how the hell do u weld a plastic piece to metal isnt the neatural saftey switch on the pedals for 4 speeds and the steering column for automatics

Offline NY78TA

Back Up Lights part 3
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 05:49:17 PM »
You are right.  If I learned anything today, is that don't bring your car to AAMCO. Th issue is that the neutral switch is fused and needs some liquidwrench to get it out.
The  moron mechanic  gave up because he has limited skills at his job.
He touched  his  spot lamp to my console and left a 1/4 inch  burn  on it ,I guess to remind me never to go to AAMCO again.-Alan

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Back Up Lights part 3
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 12:12:11 PM »
There are two screws which hold the neutral safety swtich to the column.  Now, someone may have broken something and welded the swtich to the column.  If indeed it is welded, do you have a tilt column?  If not, you can pick one up on ebay for $100 and install it yourself.

However, get a light and see for yourself.  The swtich is white and is located near the end of the column almost to the toe pan (where it hits the firewall).  There is a screw on either side of the swtich that holds it to the column.  A little tab sticks down from the switch into the column and the column moves that tab to activate the swtich.

Is the connector to the neutral safety switch cut?  What about the connector to the reverse lights?

Go to the auto parts store and see if they have a neutral safety switch for your car.....I bet they do.

Let me know if you get the old switch off and if you can get a new switch and if your connectors have been cut off.  I help you fix everything....or you could move to California and I'll fix it for you myself  :D

Offline NY78TA

Neutral safety Switch
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 06:50:27 PM »
Latest Update:
My NSS switch was disconnected  by the former owner because it became  inoperatable.
The aftermarket  NSS did  not have the same quality as the GM switch.
I was lucky the GM NSS was repairable.
Yards of useless wires got  tossed   out and   now under the dash it looks factory again.
Thanks to all  who left feedback!-Alan :P