Author Topic: The rock concert and music thread  (Read 18692 times)

Offline Rebel 5150

• Flagler County, Florida -Viewer Discretion Advised
The rock concert and music thread
« on: March 03, 2009, 11:03:44 AM »
With the talk of Hammer and his band, I thought it might be interesting to see what kind of shows some of us have seen over the years.  My first experience of seeing a "big" concert was Van Halen/Black Sabbath in 11/78.  Went there with a friend when I spent the night over there and his parents went out for a party and we both ended up at the concert with his older brother.  I knew who Sabbath was and had a few of their albums (albeit hidden, since a proper Lutheran boy didn't listen to such things), but had no idea who Van Halen were at the time.  When the lights went down, Eddie, Dave and the crew rearranged every molecule in my body...it was like, "I ain't heard nothing like this before!", and I was hooked.  Sabbath, on the other hand, were drunk/high and stumbled over songs...we ended up walking out. 

It wasn't but a couple of months later that I saw Boston (I had their debut album for a while), and hearing Scholz live was also an experience I will never forget.

Over the coming years, I would see AC/DC (first time with Bon Scott), Van Halen again (and again), RUSH, Styx, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Ozzy (solo), Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and countless other shows through about 1988.  Most of these shows were at an old, now non-existant venue, known as the Hollywood Sportatorium down in Broward County.

The place was really a hole, but looking back, there are so many good memories down there.  Last concert I saw there was AC/DC back in 1988, which was actually supposed to be at the new Miami Arena, but the new digs weren't ready yet. 

I saw a few shows here and there before I got married, and after our second son was born, I took Gina to AC/DC and Leppard at the Coral Sky down in Palm Beach County and then my concert life went dim until last year.  In 2008, I took in the DLR fronted Van Halen show (something I never thought I would see again), Styx/REO/Def Leppard and RUSH.  This past January, I took in the Eagles, an act I had never seen live before (and they better be good for Rick's show as well, lest I be on the lookout for him).  What was cool was my oldest went to all but the Eagles show, and my middle son went to the Leppard and Eagles show, with both of them enjoying themselves and the music...guess there's hope for the future of music afterall.  With the exception of the Leppard show, which was at the Hard Rock down in Hollywood, we took in all of the recent shows at the newer Jacksonville Vet Memorial Arena...man, what a difference in acoustics from the Sportatorium.

Finally, I came across some video a little while ago on youtube of the old Sportatorium being demolished in 1993.  It had been damaged by Hurricane Andrew and was being encroached on by new subdivisions, so down it came.  Even though I knew it was gone, it really hit home seeing the demolition equipment tearing it apart from the inside out.  Doesn't hit home how big the place was until you see the equipment inside.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lWZkTHprUY

Although I prefer to remember it like this...RUSH, early 1988 (this is a popular bootlegged DVD these days from the HYF tour)  Ironicly, it was shot not all that far from where my seat was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esJt1pgfeQc

So, what shows have you seen and what were the places like back then?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 08:01:40 AM by 78T/A »
Harold - Pure Trans Am Nut

“Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it.” - David Lee Roth

Offline Rebel 5150

Re: Rock concerts
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 11:17:49 AM »
By the way, one of my biggest regrets was not to have seen Led Zep live (outside of bootlegs and The Song Remains the Same).  They were supposed to tour in the US in 80 or 81 and a lot of us had made plans to see them no matter what.  Well, the rest is history with Bonzo and the door seems to be closing on the opportunity to see them with his son, Jason, behind the kit since Plant seems to want to leave Zep in the past now.

“Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it.” - David Lee Roth

Offline snoopydogj

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 01:19:40 PM »
Gosh, I have see just about every rock show of importance there was.
Just off the top of my head:
Bob Segar
Van Halen
Rush
Eagles
Bruce Springsteen
Molly Hatchett
Forenior
Led Zepplin
Elton John
ZZ Topp
Boston
Huey Lewis
David Bowie
Alice Cooper
Jimmy Buffet
John Mellencamp
Feetwood Mac
Eddie Money
Ted Nugent
AC-DC
Aerosmith
Genesis
The "Stones" Steel Wheels
Tom Petty

Well.......you get the idea.......saw most of those show at Market Square Arena before it was blown up.
"Good times.........damn good times" David Lee Roth

Journey
Lynynrd Skynyrd
Doobie Bros
Steve Miller
CCR
Styx
KISS
Yes
The Police

GET BIG OR GET OUT!

Offline Rebel 5150

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 01:23:42 PM »
Cool list, I'd say the only ones on there I haven't seen is The Police (no interest really) and Huey Lewis.  And man oh man, how did I forget about Heart and Skynyrd?  Oh, yeah, may have had to do with some substances being ignited near me. ;)

Offline k_garretson23

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 02:24:01 PM »
Im only sixteen but I saw green day once.. Motley crue at cruefest over the summer and im seeing them again this friday.
kevin garretson..

Offline Silentstrike

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 03:27:41 PM »
I am a religious concet goer especially during the summer and though I am only 17 I have seen some bands the older members on this forum grew up with and alot of newer stuff just off the top of my head:
Journey
Heart
Bon Jovi
Bruce Springsteen
Bob Seger
Beach Boys
ZZ Top
now for the newer stuff
I am a religious warped tourersobasically thepast five years anyone whos been on that
Anti-Flag
Blink-182
My Chem
Linkin Park
Atreyu
Chimaira
Killswitch
Story of The Year
as long as its good rock I'm there

Offline Rebel 5150

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 04:31:05 PM »
I really feel for you younger folks these days as far as concert costs.  My first concerts were all under $10 and that included parking and the "convenience fee."  Cheapest show I've been to in the last year was RUSH and those tix were $75 a pop, but ended up at nearly $100 a piece by the time all the fees were added, and then another $20 for parking.  I know some shows are cheaper than others, but it seems most start at over $50 a piece plus all the fees.  Now that TicketBastage and LiveNation are merging, I can't imagine it getting much better. ::)

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 07:51:20 PM »
I have seen Motley Crue every time they have come to Cleveland since 1983.  Back in the day I saw other along the same lines like Whitesnake, White Lion, Poison, Guns and Roses, Ratt, Great White, Y&T, Cinderella, and more.  I also saw Rick Springfield (when I was too young, but my sister was in love with him so I was dragged along).  I also saw Willie Nelson one time (again dragged along).  I also saw The Rolling Stones at the Stadium here... wasn't too impressed.  A good show to remember was Paul McCartney when he came to the Stadium as well.  It was a good show only because you had 80,000 people all singing along..... was beyond description.  But of course, no one put on a show like Motley Crue did.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline Rebel 5150

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 08:05:20 PM »
Brett, you going to catch Crue Fest 2 up in Cincinatti this Summer?

Offline fireman_033

• [img]http://www.78ta.com/gallery2/main.php/d/9146-
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 08:35:14 PM »
  Well I like an array of music so I try to catch whatever comes through here and that aint much Randy Travis, Reba, Motley Crue, Lita Ford, ZZ Top 2x, Papa Roach, Hinder, Skynyrd, Hank Williams Jr. 2x, Charlie Daniels Band, Waylon, Tracy Lawrence, John Michael Montgomery, Clay Walker, Tim Mcgraw 2x, Marshall Tucker Band, Kenny  Chesney, George Strait, Peter Frampton, 38 Special. Thats all I can think of at the moment that are big names.  When Crue came through the only time they came near was the Dr Feelgood tour and it was awsome. ZZ Top I saw recycler and antenna recycler kicked antenna's a**.  Scott
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 08:39:13 PM by fireman_033 »

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 09:29:34 PM »
Brett, you going to catch Crue Fest 2 up in Cincinatti this Summer?

Yeah, don't know where I am going to catch them this year.  I looked at all of the tour dates to see which would be best.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline pointman

• Ohio Firebirds Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 09:41:50 PM »
Let's see if i can remember............

Bob Seager and the Silver Bullet Band
Eagles
REO Speedwagon
Survivor
Willie Nelson
Waylon Jennings
Jessie Colter
Tim McGraw
Big & Rich
Blue Oyster Cult
Journey

That's all I can remember, not saying I did'nt go to more concerts.........we'll leave it at that!
Gerrit VK

78 Gold SE Y88 400 auto
79 Black 403 auto
86 Fiero SE V6
07 H3 Hummer
04 GMC Safari

Offline pointman

• Ohio Firebirds Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 09:43:54 PM »
Nice hair Michael! Can't wait to see and hear your band!
Gerrit VK

78 Gold SE Y88 400 auto
79 Black 403 auto
86 Fiero SE V6
07 H3 Hummer
04 GMC Safari

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 10:56:38 PM »
great topic.  this made me break out all my ticket stubs i have saved over the years.  i don't have all of the concerts i have seen but many good ones.   i have always been a huge music lover & concert go'er since i was a young teenager in the mid 80's.  btw,  first concert i ever saw was with my dad when i was about 11.   it was sha na nah.  you know,  bouzer,  "yakaty yak, don't talk back".  here's the saved tickets i have.

tool 2007
nine inch nails 2006
tool 2001
ozzy 1996
white zombie 1995
bad company & damn yankees 1990
van halen 198? (sammy)
david lee roth solo 198?
motkey crue 1989    they set the record that year for the loudest concert at our stadium, something like 130+ db.  it was LOUD!!!
pink floyd 1988
kiss 1989
iron maiden 1987
night ranger & starship 1986
motley crue 1985  first real concert.

plus many others that i don't have tickets for & lots of local bands. 

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 11:06:20 PM by 78w72 »
78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's

Offline ddmurdock

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 11:17:58 PM »
Hey Brett, I was at the infamous Motley Crue show in Greensboro, NC the night that Sixx got arrested for inciting a riot.  And he did.  I won't print what he said to start said riot, but let's say that he had some issues with a big African American security guard, and he told the crowd to "Let him have it."  If it wasn't nailed down it was thrown at the guard.  Even sitting towards the back of the arena, I was wondering how bad this would get and if we were going to get caught up in it.  Saw the Crue 3 or 4 times, including the tour with the rotating drum riser.  Still one of the neatest things that I have ever seen at a concert.  Other shows include:

Jeff Beck (x4)
ZZ Top (x4)
Ted Nugent (x14)
Damn Yankees (x2)
Rush (x3)
Cheap Trick
Grand Funk Railroad
Styx
Yes
Robert Plant (x2)
Page and Plant
AC/DC (x4)
Metallica (x3)
Godsmack
Korn
Rob Zombie
Rod Stewart (x4)
Neil Diamond (x3)
Quiet Riot
John Mayer
Eric Johnson
Arc Angels
Lollapalooza (what a day!)
Bad Company
Sammy Hagar-solo
Van Halen
Kiss (x2)
Aerosmith
George Thorogood
Johnny Winter (x2)
Leon Russell
Night Ranger

Who know who else I'm forgetting.  I no longer wonder where this tinnitus comes from.  All of the drag races didn't help either.
'77 SE Y82 L78 for show
'95 Y82 for go
'98 WS6 SGM 1 of 26