Author Topic: Trans am's on rims good and bad..  (Read 40611 times)

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
Re: Trans am's on rims good and bad..
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2012, 06:29:22 PM »
Guess ya don't plan on driving it anywere?  I never liked the tucked look myself

agreed some take it too far, but you cant argue the function of the "tucked" tires

http://image.popularhotrodding.com/f/32060191/1103phr_14_o+1978_pontiac_trans_am+optima_ultimate_street_car_invitational.jpg

Those don't looked tucked to me....not like the other pics where half the tires is hidden by the wheel well

your right thats a poor example...but i just liked the pic
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2012, 11:38:23 PM »
I apologize for them being Camaros, but they're 2G with 'em tucked.  I dream of tucking the wheels on my T/A like this.

http://www.socalcustoms.com/Shows/2011/Showfest/pages/306.htm or http://www.socalcustoms.com/Shows/2011/GoodguysLonestar/pages/DSC_3541.htm

I really like both of those. My ta is on 15x7 snowflakes and I got my tires to tuck in a little.

The first one is bagged but really that is the way to go if you do a lot of the pro touring stuff. Slam it at the shows and raise it up when driving fast around turns.

I'm an aggressive driver- no way I could live with a ride height that low. I believe the Socal ricer kids call that "hella dumped"- looks cool on the fairgrounds but strictly for cruisers. Why anyone would want to copy a look most ricers and imports sport is beyond me.

Geno

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hella+dumped&go=&qs=n&sk=&sc=8-7&form=QBIR

Geno with today's sway bars and coil spring set ups the guys that have tucked tires the right way can and will out handle any stock ta that rides around like a truck with the top of the tires being inches from fender arch. I can't stand to see a "sports" car like ours with the tires exposed like a truck. Just means there is a ton of body roll. Most of the cars in the pictures you selected such as the S2000,STI,BMW M3 and 350Z would smoke our older heavy cars around the turns. Just all depends on what you like.

I do know what you mean though about the guys who cruise around in the cars that are worth $500 with the tires tucked and front end jumping around over the little bumps and such. Just needs to be done the right way.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2012, 11:59:44 PM »
They might handle good but it really is ugly, I don't want my TA to look like a 4x4 but I like to see the whole tire also.  I like the look of the top of the wheel arch about a half inch or so from the top of the tire.  When they are tucked way up inside it looks like an airplane retracting it's gear....
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2012, 12:16:41 AM »
hahaha..Yeah...getting ready for take-off
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2012, 12:25:37 AM »
hahaha..Yeah...getting ready for take-off
I hope if it is retracting it's gear it has already taken off =)
Dave
_______

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
  • Old Birds don't die-they get faster, corner harder
« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2012, 02:21:19 AM »
Justin,
I've been into 2nd gen Birds and T/A's for close to 30 years now- I'm well aware of the latest aftermarket suspension upgrades available for our Firebirds and TA's. My 72 Bird was set up for road race over 20 years ago, well before all of this trick suspension gear became available. I'm looking forward to upgrading my set up to current standards, and seeing how much better the new stuff really is.

I know it's more esthetically pleasing to have a performance car that's lowered and yet has a suspension that is capable of full suspension travel- that does require an exhaust that is strategically tucked under the car. Many Pro-touring TA's and Firebirds have a lowered stance, wide 18" or larger wheels, and trick suspension setups which allow the suspension to articulate without the tires rubbing. But I doubt the "hella dumped" sports cars could even keep up w/ me on a twisty road- if they gotta slow down for driveway ramps and speed bumps, how are they gonna handle wavy, roads with dips and bumps at full speed?

Geno

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2012, 04:29:04 AM »

HELLA DUMPED YO!

no but in all seriousness. some people take it WAAAAAAY to far.... yes wind tunnels have proven the lower the car the more aerodynamic it is, making it faster.... but at the same time you lose ride quality with a stiffer suspension...  and this "Hella Dumped" look seems to be mostly ricers... and for cosmetic appeal only...
as far as lowering cars, and suspension setups, Mary Pozzi has proven that the stock suspension setup on these cars can handle ALOT.... it was only til just recently she was running rear leaf springs, and whooping everyone with their 10k rear suspension builds... and probablly 95% of the people that build cars dont ever get the full potential of their car...
now as far as street driving... cars that are lowered considerably low, and were built for a racing purpose, most of the time they are only on closed course, maintained driving tracks.. so they dont have to worry about pot holes, speed bumps, etc... no different than an Indy car or nascar.... they sit low, but dont have problems on the track...

Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2012, 09:43:43 AM »
Custom?  That sound too expensive for Me?!  :(   I would probably do 18s maybe 19s on the rear and 18s in the front.  A guy can dream right?

Offline SOLICIT

« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2012, 11:49:30 AM »
Norwood's is one of my favorites on this forum that's lowered, and, no, the tires aren't tucked.  There is a functional advantage to stiffening and lowering our cars.  Compared to my other 2G Pontiacs, my current one has MUCH less body roll and feels firmly planted & stable.  When I hop on it when turning, it kicks out nice & smooth.....just a more refined experience.  ;D  Yes, the ride is stiff and not for everyone, but it suits my tastes.....it's what I wanted this time around.  Who knows?  As I age and/or my tastes change, I might want a more comfortable ride.

eroc022, that pic is wrong.....freakin' hilarious, but wrong! lol!  :D

72blackbird, your 'bird is on my list of dream cars to someday have parked in my stable.  While we may not agree on what it should look like and/or perform, we do agree it's simply a wicked looking design.

Pacman, we're all starting to suffer from pic withdrawals!  Really looking forward to seeing yours with the new rims.

Justin - I totally agree on the bags for show & go.  There's a '69 Camaro that did most of the same local shows I did in 2011.  His is P-T'd out, and is bagged.  It is so sick!  Would love to do the same to mine.

10Aniv - So what you're saying is, the below pic isn't your style???  Come on man!  Seriously???   ;D

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 01:57:59 PM by SOLICIT »

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2012, 12:03:15 PM »
^ That picture just kills me...

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
  • Old Birds don't die-they get faster, corner harder
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2012, 12:08:12 PM »
Solicit,
I like the way your TA is set up- I plan to do a suspension/ chassis upgrade once my 455 is finished, and of course step up to 17 or 18" wheels, since speed-rated 15" street tires basically don't exist anymore. My suspension set up may be outdated, but it still handles well enough to surprise most new performance car owners.

Geno

Offline TxBandit911

« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
Justin,
I've been into 2nd gen Birds and T/A's for close to 30 years now- I'm well aware of the latest aftermarket suspension upgrades available for our Firebirds and TA's. My 72 Bird was set up for road race over 20 years ago, well before all of this trick suspension gear became available. I'm looking forward to upgrading my set up to current standards, and seeing how much better the new stuff really is.

I know it's more esthetically pleasing to have a performance car that's lowered and yet has a suspension that is capable of full suspension travel- that does require an exhaust that is strategically tucked under the car. Many Pro-touring TA's and Firebirds have a lowered stance, wide 18" or larger wheels, and trick suspension setups which allow the suspension to articulate without the tires rubbing. But I doubt the "hella dumped" sports cars could even keep up w/ me on a twisty road- if they gotta slow down for driveway ramps and speed bumps, how are they gonna handle wavy, roads with dips and bumps at full speed?

Geno

This^^^ I have been into Birds even before I could drive. I've had 2nd gens, 3rd gens and 4th gens, and let me tell you, my 4th gen wasnt "all that". I've been working on these cars for 20 years, and all that flashy garbage is just to look at, very little of it has any real functional purpose. I see so many nice Birds violated by people that bolt on whatever shiny thing is "in" right  now....
I'll get this done some day...

Offline SOLICIT

« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2012, 02:21:12 PM »
ahhhhh.....it's good to have dreams.  Wow!  This is the sickest T/A I have ever laid my eyes on.  Earlier pics were in post #49 of this thread, but I just can't get enough of this beast.

http://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?78263-trans-am&p=869664#post869664

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 02:23:54 PM by SOLICIT »

Offline TxBandit911

« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2012, 02:58:31 PM »
Yeah...not really diggin it...

Oh, I am also against putting an LSX Engine in EVERYTHING on the planet.
I'll get this done some day...

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2012, 04:46:07 PM »
ahhhhh.....it's good to have dreams.  Wow!  This is the sickest T/A I have ever laid my eyes on.  Earlier pics were in post #49 of this thread, but I just can't get enough of this beast.

http://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?78263-trans-am&p=869664#post869664

Too low for me, cars that low look idiotic, just my opinion.  I am sure that car is done right but 99.999999999% of people don't have the cash to do all that work.
Dave
_______