Author Topic: 1974 LS2 T/A resurrection (mechnaicals, frame, interior & TA Nats) updated 9/21  (Read 8243 times)

Offline T/A Tommy

• T/A
Re: 1974 LS2 T/A resurrection (drivetrain, suspension and frame work)
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 12:04:25 PM »
Great thread Larry.  I win the bet ;D ;D ;D Gotta start gearing up for the NATS. Paging Dr. Larry...Paging Dr. Larry...She wants those implants done! :o
Hey Hey!!! My frame rail comes first. I heard Dr. Larry was the best doctor in town. ;D

Tommy

1978 L78 Y88 Gold Edition
1978 L80 Y88 Gold Edition

Offline TAKID455

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 11:31:27 PM »
The complements and kind words are highly appreciated.
Limey - I was a tad surprised to see the springs fall apart taking them out. More is planned cosmetically for this guy before the end of August.

Tommies - The Doctor is IN and the lines are open. Flattery will get you far, but won't repair frame rails. ;) Got a line a basic lincoln 145 welder for $60 if your interested. Told it works. As far as prepping for the NATS, you know the number that will make it happen. One call does it all.

News on the 74
Having some interior dye mixed and obtaining some of the plastic pieces. The car made the 400 mile round trip to Saratoga, NY averaging 14.5 MPG cruising at 75-80MPH between 2500-2750 RPM. We had a blast and many show goers enjoyed the resurrected relic. Not sure if he is a member here, but I think the guy next to me was a tad jealous the his shiny 74 t/a got less attention. In any event, I was not out to retrieve a trophy, but merely allow others to enjoy what some consider Pontiac's last breath.

Picked up an outdoor sandblaster, so I'll be cleaning the front bumper will replace the original ripped one.
2nd Gen Engineering
Specializing in Suspension and Driveline Performance Engineering
Custom/ Racing/ Restorations

Offline TAKID455

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 12:44:17 AM »
Been rather busy on this fella attending a few of areas such as interior and some exterior items. Full documentation and pictures to follow soon. Found a carpet tag when cleaning the carpet. dont recall my other cars having one. says the color is dark blue made 5/21/74.
2nd Gen Engineering

Offline TAKID455

Re: 1974 LS2 T/A resurrection (interior & exterior update 9/21)
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 01:00:33 AM »
Just a little update. All anticipated task(front bumper replacement, spoiler paint and installation & interior redye) were successfully completed prior to the T/A Nationals. It was close, but I got it done. In depth details are categorized below. Had the distributor recurved to coincide with the engine build 3 days prior to leaving and we were off to OH. Just slightly over 600miles one way. Went out Friday w/ a friend and hit some nasty rain. Good thing the wipers worked. Car performed exceptionally well and surprised us with 18MPG highway average w/ a best tank yielding 19.25MPG.  WOW.  I can’t get that out of my 400!!! With the 8 track cranking Jimi, CCR, Stones, & others along with clear skies after the rain, it was an unforgettable experience.  Although, not cosmetically fairing as well as others, the car showed rather well and draw an overwhelming amount of attention. Event picked up a trophy for ‘Barn find of the year’ at Tipp City presented by Scott from Rev Up Motors. The trip home was even better due to sunny weather. We tagged along with another friend as my ‘arrival’ friend had to leave early. Now it’s time to decide what to do with the deteriorated body areas. I prefer to keep the car original appearing as long as possible, however, I would like to preserve certain areas so car last. One option is to repair the deteriorated (rusty) areas, treat and paint only those areas while not disturbing the pre existing patina if you will. I am also chasing a fuel delivery issue. I have corrected some areas and will install a fuel pressure and vacuum gauge next to gather data for my next move. Would like the engine to spin its full range w/o ‘pausing’ at 4500 and then catching and repeat. It is more prevalent in gears 3-5 than 1 & 2 although it does occur. This is rather common w/ 455’s and modified 400’s as they tend to drain the bowl of the Q-jet and the pump can’t keep up.  I’m down to adding a high flow pump and/or inline fuel filter as opposed to the one installed in the carb. I do one change at a time and test to see results. Back to the progress.

Front bumper replacement
The original front bumper was damaged in a parking lot incident way back when as I am told. I had acquired a nice bumper that needed minimal repair to replace the original. Being from a 1975 bird, the bumperettes if you will, are removable as opposed to being fixed as a whole like the 74. The difference is unnoticeable once installed. I found a date marking inside the original bumper which I attempted to recreate. I’m not one for pencil markings and what not, but since it would never be seen, I decided to give it a shot. The metal was sandblasted and etch primed. I had to lift up the rubber to get all the rust flakes out. This is highly recommended as lots of stuff gets trapped there and can haut you latter. Horizontally gifted people should be familiar with this procedure. Ewwww. Semi gloss followed the primer prior to some satin clear to preserve the finish. The ripped areas were repaired using ‘flexible bumper repair’ 2 part epoxy by Wurth. This product is also good for deep scratches and gouges. At 45 bucks, it’s not cheap, but it works. 3M & SEM have similar products. I then sanded the rubber to remove any shinny areas and also remove light imperfections while not to remove too much of the original rubber. This was followed by a few coats of SEM flexible high build primer along with some skimming filler for the slight depressed areas. This was then wet sanded up to 600 grit, repeating as necessary. Finally, I used SEM’s Trim black to restore the original rubber finish. I later found SEM has ‘bumper black’ which may work better. I’ll try it if this fails. Although this may seem like a day project, attempting to get the aged rubber perfectly straight and flat was rather time consuming between sanding and applying materials. A new GM, not NOS as it is still available, front filler molding was also installed.

Removing original )original installed bumper can be found at the beginning of the thread)

Sand blasted

Rubber sanding

Before

after

Etched

Removing imperfections

Original markings

Painted

Installed – el fin

Spoilers
The right side was an original I received with the car which was simply reinstalled. The left was a used , but good GM unit. The center was an ABS repo. Both were sanded to unpainted/ shinny surfaces, primed( PPG DP90), filled and sanded. I used Dupont Chromabase 5474K for the color which is mixed to factory specs. I sprayed a few coats on the pieces, lat that flash, installed the welting w/ a small amount of weather strip adhesive and reshot the pieces. Clear followed there after w/ flex additive to prevent cracking.

Note: the gold on the flare was lacquer which reacted with the enamel. After that occurred, the part saw taken down o bare plastic and started over.

Primed parts along with a friends and 78ta member’s 78 parts

Hope I got the staple correct

Color!!

Installed (Taken at Tipp city)

Interior
This probably made the most visual improvement to the car. The seat had been cleaned couple times prior, but nothing as extensive as they were now. I used diluted Purple Power and ZEP Power House along with a scrubbing brush and elbow grease. The carpet was in fairly decent shape so I decided to shampoo it. Using a grocery store rental Rug Doctor, I was shocked to see the difference. I found a carpet tag too. The plastic, like most colored plastic had seen better days. I had acquired good original examples to replace the deteriorated ones and redyed everything from the A-pillars back. Dash, console, upper door panels and kick panels are the only undyed parts. A new package tray was also installed along with an original, but dyed console lid to replace the missing one.  Since SEM does not make a color that matched the medium blue, a nice follow, show was also dying some medium blue parts, sent me a sample. I took this along with an original part (underside was still in good shape) to the local Napa to have some TEC-1 Martin Senior dye mixed. It took them 2 times, but they nailed it dead on. Works well and seems to hold up so far. As with any dye job, the prep is super critical. I do an initial scrubbing with a heavy cleaner using a brush and fine steel wool. I do this a few times to make sure no contaminants are on the plastic. Just prior to spaying, I shoot some adhesion promoter on the parts.

Seats before

After
(left cleaned, right before) GF’s are good for cleaning car parts too. 

Carpet before

The man

After

Tag

Plastics to be dyed

Dyed

Cleaned and refurbished interior installed. I thought it came out fairly nice.

Nats adventure

This provides abistion to get my 72 done (71 pictured). I think that would be a nice looking stablemate along with the 78.

Lots of attention or maybe we were giving out candy . Though this picture was humorous.

Scott from Rev Up and myself. This really made my day. Never won a trophy before. I was told my head couldn’t fit into the car succeeding this event.

Braggers suck. Conceded jerks

Photo shot w/ an original 74 SD that had 7900 miles. Gorgeous car.

Trip home
Driver’s POV (Being very reserved here)

Western PA

Arrival home after 1300+ mile trip and closure of new chapter in the car’s history.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 02:02:05 PM by TAKID455 »
2nd Gen Engineering

Offline rad400

• Adv. Member
Re: 1974 LS2 T/A resurrection (drivetrain, suspension, frame, interior & TA Nats)
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 07:48:40 AM »
Looks great Larry can't wait to see more pics.
Conrad
79 Trans am 400 t400 3500 stall #12 heads holley 750 vac carb. Torker II intake 3:73:1 gears 12 bolt rear.

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
  • Old Birds don't die-they get faster, corner harder
Larry,
Great story! I'm very impressed that you still drove the car to the nationals after you got it mechanically restored and didn't wait until the paint was done- not the usual choice for a typical 73-74 SD T/A owner. As mythical and unreachable as the 73-74 SD T/A's have become for the common Firebird guy, it's always good to see an SD owner who isn't afraid to drive it- I know I would if I owned one.

AWESOME. DUDE! ;D

Geno

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
Great job - looking forward to seeing the next shots.
John

1 of 1107                     1 of 37,015                    1 of 1817

Offline TAKID455

Conrad & john - thanks for the kind words. not sure when more pictures will be added as not too much is plan in the immediate future. (see comments below)

Larry,
Great story! I'm very impressed that you still drove the car to the nationals after you got it mechanically restored and didn't wait until the paint was done- not the usual choice for a typical 73-74 SD T/A owner. As mythical and unreachable as the 73-74 SD T/A's have become for the common Firebird guy, it's always good to see an SD owner who isn't afraid to drive it- I know I would if I owned one.

AWESOME. DUDE! ;D

Geno

This is exactly why I choose to drive it. there are way too many awesome cars acting as carpet cruisers as opposed to letting their spirits soar as intended. I completely understand the rarity of the car and hope very few get a chance to own one. I feel by letting other see and enjoy the car, it will add inspiration, knowledge, ect to others.

I attempted to fix a leak rear window only to find what I was hoping to be a simple removal and reseal would involve cutting and welding. I cleaned what I could and filled the voids with window caulk for the interim. Pretty much the right side of the window channel will need to be replaced. not something I feel like doing currently.

Back to improving performance by eliminating fuel starvation, a new pump to carb line was installed. this eliminated the factory kink by the alternator and I highly recommend changing the factory piece. Performance is better, but there is still a slight hesitation around 4500 rpm. I can swing up to 6000 rpm since changing the line though. next step will be to remove the brass filter and install an inline filter somewhere followed by increasing the primary jets from 71 to 72/3. A test will be performed after each change to note improvements if any.

Since this car is now on the road and has completed almost 4000 miles this year, I am turning my attention back to my 78 t/a that was interrupted by the 74.
project can be seen here
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27647

PS. I am looking for lower door panels and blue seat belts in good condition if anybody has or knows of some.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 02:34:45 PM by TAKID455 »
2nd Gen Engineering