Author Topic: 1978 Fuel Tank  (Read 874 times)

Offline jboone77

1978 Fuel Tank
« on: September 05, 2008, 07:50:05 PM »
I failed a smog test so I checked the top of the tank and I found a leak but it's not around the sending unit, it's around the other line.  How do I remove this thing and replace the seal?

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: 1978 Fuel Tank
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 08:16:29 PM »
Are you in California?

Basically they crimp the vapor line at the canister and pressurize the tank with nitrogen.  If the tank leaks, you fail.  The places you can leak are the rubber joints along the vapor line.  Where the metal vapor line enters the tank, the filler tube at the joint, the sender unit at the joint, the feeder line joint to the pump, or the sender gasket.

The problem then is to determine where the leak is.  Or, how many leaks there are.  You should take the car to a shop so they can pressurize the tank with smoke.  That will let them know exactly where it's leaking.  Then they send the tank out to be re-soldiered.

My daughters car failed the same test.  The tank was leaking at the filler tube joint and the sending unit joint.   We had to have the tank re-soldered.  If I had the same situation today, I would have replaced the tank.

Offline jboone77

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 12:08:59 AM »
I took it to a shop and the leak was around the fuel return line.  It had to be re-soldered.  Thanks.

Offline jboone77

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 12:13:53 AM »
The next thing I wanna do is the floor pans.  All four have some rust holes.  Some are the size of a dinner plate and the others are the size of a quarter.  The pans are only about 30 bucks each so I think i'm gonna do all four.  My question is, what is the going rate for someone to replace floor pans.  I got a quote from a restoration shop for 250 per pan.  Is that a fair price?  Thanks guys, I'm going to post pictures soon.