Author Topic: SAME PROBLEM WITH CAR STARTING  (Read 2764 times)

Offline 4saken

• I love Trans-Ams
SAME PROBLEM WITH CAR STARTING
« on: June 22, 2012, 04:29:49 PM »
Hey guys, so the low down on my ride is this, I replaced the ignition switch and the big pink wire coming from that to just before it splits into two tan wires, then I replaced the starter, the car fired right up, and I drove it maybe 20 blocks or so, and then it died again and once again it won't start. it will crank over fine but no start. What is my problem. Also upon trying to put in all the wiring I came upon a thick purple wire with a female end on it. for the life of me I can not find the male end for it. this wire also goes from the ignition switch and splits to this female end and then also goes up behind the kick panel on the drivers side. it is not the rear defrost i checked that. Also, do I have a safety neutral switch and if so where is it located at? How hard is it to replace? Thanks again for you time. I'm trying to stay positive but it is so hard with one thing after another happing.  >:( I refuse to give up though cause this is my dream car and it will be restored to it's previous glory. ;D
4Saken

Offline bigfoot

Re: SAME PROBLEM WITH CAR STARTING
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 05:56:51 PM »
Did it die while you were driving, or would it not start again after turning it off? 
1979 TA SE
1980 TA
2007 Charger R/T
2004 Porsche Cayenne S

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 06:17:57 PM »
when it dies does it have spark? fuel?
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline tata

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 07:43:09 PM »
had this problem before, replaced alot of stuff for nothing and it drove me crazy, figured out my exhaust was clogged....it was a strange one but it might help.

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 10:14:17 PM »
What year?

79-81 don't have a neutral/safety switch.

Even if you have a 78 or older with an N/S switch, the car wouldn't even crank over if the switch was bad or disconnected.

Since the car started and ran for 20 blocks, that purple wire must not be the reason it quit.

You didn't run out of gas did you?  ;)

Just a guess, but a bad ignition module in your distributor can make your car die and not start.

Like "joe d" said, you should check to see if you have fuel getting the carb and spark to the plugs.
Steve F.

Offline 4saken

• I love Trans-Ams
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 02:42:30 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. I figured out that somehow my wires were getting wrapped around my steerIng knuckle and as I would turn the wheel the tighter my wires would get until finally it would pull my hot wire off my alt. and surprisingly the pinkish wire from the distributer. So after untangling the mess and clearing them away from the knuckle and replacing my fusible links once again cause in this mess those got fried again, long of the story, I'm up and rolling and we drove it for about forty five minutes or so with no issues. By the way the s/n switch is at the bottom of the steering column on the top. Cost bout 10.00 bucks and took two min to take off. Didn't replace it though didn't need to. Thanks again for all the input.
4Saken

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 05:20:52 AM »
glad you found it and was simple
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 11:28:26 AM »
Glad you fixed it. You never did tell us what year car you have though  :) .
Steve F.

Offline 4saken

• I love Trans-Ams
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 12:57:40 PM »
Sorry its a 79 Trans Am all original with the 403 olds.
4Saken

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 01:13:08 PM »
Thanks. One reason I was curious about your year was concerning the N/S switch. As I mentioned earlier, the 79-81 doesn't have an N/S switch. The switch you see on your column is just a back-up light switch. It looks like an N/S switch, but only has 2 back-up light wires connected to it. The 79-81 columns were changed to have a mechanical lock-out built into them so the ignition cylinder won't turn unless your shifter is in park or neutral. So that feature takes the place of the old N/S switch function.
Steve F.

Offline 4saken

• I love Trans-Ams
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 05:49:01 PM »
That would explain alot why my back up lights don't work. Also, the previous owners took out that rod that was connected to the shifter to lock out the lock cylinder cause I'm able to start the car in every gear. i will take that off the parts car and install it on mine. I was just wrestling with that today when I took my cloumn out of the parts car. :P
4Saken

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 07:07:25 PM »
Yes, when the linkage from the column to the transmission has been removed, the arm on the bottom of the column has to be put in the most upward position, which is the park position so you're able to start the car. But it will start in any gear that way, so you must be careful. I have a 79 like that.
Steve F.

Offline 4saken

• I love Trans-Ams
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 11:53:35 PM »
Thanks Steve F, I have been careful I'm also noticing that I really have to make sure it's in park before I turn off the car too, so it doesn't roll away from me. I think before too long I will be looking into the linkage and replacing that rod from my parts car to this one. i just want to go all out and restore this thing all the way from the way it was brand new. I went driving tonight and man what a feeling. ;D I had people looking every where. I'm sure over half were cause of what it is, you just don't see these things on the road anymore. Granted mine is all old looking and beat up but people know these are really cool cars. I even had some dude in a brand new Challenger turn his head and smile and give me a thumbs up. 8)
I thought that was very cool!
4Saken

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 01:04:05 AM »
 :) That is cool. That's fun to hear about the attention your 79 gets, since it sounds similar to what happens to me sometimes. Your car sounds similar to mine, but mine probably look worse. I have 2 79 TA's that run, one gold hardtop, and a silver t-top. The gold one is more beat up and has worn out paint and decals and interior. The silver one is straighter, but the paint is dull and worn out, and it needs interior work too. I've cleaned them up pretty good, but no amount of cleaning will hide that they need restoring. First thing I did was make them mechanically reliable, so I can enjoy them until I can restore the appearance. So, they both are kinda rough looking, but the style shows through and they're still fun to drive.
At the gas station, there's been several times when some guy will say what a cool car it is and ask what year and that kind of thing. I was stopped at a light not long ago with my silver t-top and a guy in some late model foreign car motioned for me to roll the window down and he was pretty excited to see my old car and asked the year. He was impressed by the 6.6 on the shaker. And he complimented the car by saying it was beautiful. Well, I know it is...at least in my imagination...but I didn't expect somebody else would think so too  ;D .
My favorite reaction was at the Mall. As I was leaving my parking space, there were some young people crossing not far ahead of me, and as I slowly passed by them, one of the girls, a good looking blond was checking me and the car out and practically swooned at the sight of it. That's the kind of reaction I'm looking for ;D . I need to get some money up and get to work on that thing. Imagine how it will be when it really is beautiful!  ;D
Steve F.

Offline 4saken

• I love Trans-Ams
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 11:40:25 AM »
That is so funny Steve, i was at walmart last night tops off and rolling slow and as I passed the front door two young dudes were walking out and saw me and one said, "damn dude that car is bad a**, thats what we need." I just smiled relly big ;D I love it when people react like that. Everybody smiles and nods. I thought since it looks so rough that people would frown upon it. you know not everyone would see the beauty in it as I do. Actually I think it's damn sexy 8).
i was next to this really nice done up tuner last nite at the stop light, and this hot chick was in the passenger side of it and as the light turned green I just punched it and let me tell you my car just squatted and squeeled like crazy and the look on that chicks face was priceless. :o It was as if my car was power braking cause the wheels were spinning so fast and I wasnt moving very fast. I looked at her the whole time and made this face at her :o! She just gazed in awe. It was awesome. :D
4Saken