Author Topic: scuff removal from clear coat  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Flounder55

scuff removal from clear coat
« on: November 22, 2015, 04:40:49 PM »
Have a question regarding scuff swirl marks from clearcoat. I was trying to remove swirl marks from my hood. I used 2000 grit paper to wetsand the area but I made it worst. Can anyone with experience help me correct this problem? I've run my nails across it and can't feel anything so I'm assuming I've just scuffed the clearcoat. How can I fix this? I've tried polishing compound. HELP!!!

Offline tata

Re: scuff removal from clear coat
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 06:46:54 AM »
meguiars has a great swirl remover that I used. Not the black bottle, but they have a professional one in a tan bottle. Use a orbital  buffer wheel and follow up with there yellow wax. Works great and they have different levels. If you have an OReilly s by you you can also ask for a meguiars book from behind the counter that the real professionals use and order from there too. 3m has a good one too but alot more money

Offline NOT A TA

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 11:35:29 AM »
I use Farecla G10 swirl remover.
John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X

Offline Elz

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 11:37:27 AM »
Have a question regarding scuff swirl marks from clearcoat. I was trying to remove swirl marks from my hood. I used 2000 grit paper to wetsand the area but I made it worst. Can anyone with experience help me correct this problem? I've run my nails across it and can't feel anything so I'm assuming I've just scuffed the clearcoat. How can I fix this? I've tried polishing compound. HELP!!!

If you used 2000 grit to sand out swirls you will need something stronger than swirl remover. You are going to have to compound it and use a wool pad or a foam cutting pad, then follow up with a swirl remover and polishing pad. If you don't have a good buffer you might be wasting your time and should just take it to a shop. You should never have to wet sand swirls, there are plenty of good products out there. I believe the Meguiars product mentioned above is Number 9 swirl remover.

Offline coliver

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 02:34:18 AM »
+1 on using a good compound. You can use Ultimate Compound with a terrycloth or mf towel and rub the surface to level it.

Offline jonathonar89

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 12:52:54 AM »
To fix this, you need a buffer, wool pad and compound.  This all can be had fairly cheap at Harbor Freight.

You will see at the store, there will be different "cuts" from fine to heavy.  The fine cuts use a foam pad and heavy cuts use a wool pad.  Look closely on the meguiars bottles...the correct pad to use pretty much pictured right on the front of them.  I would go for the wool pad and a medium/light cut to start.  This will probably get you good results without buying everything.  Just be light and don't dig into one spot on the paint too hard. 

I've worked at a detail/body shop for a few years and this is pretty much what all the people in the industry use.  The fiber towel/rubbing compound stuff you see at auto part or retail stores isn't bad but you can get great results with a real buffer.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 12:58:06 AM by jonathonar89 »